What happened to the a350 order?

Old May 2, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
But having gotten the 77W, UA does not really need the A350, let alone the A350-10, until it starts to retire the 772s. That is 3-4 years from now at the earliest, and probably in reality further away than that absent a spike in fuel prices. My guess is that the 772 will be in the fleet for 7 year minimum once the seats are retrofitted in J to Polaris.
Wasn't this the whole point of switching to the 350-10 order to the 350-9 and pushing the A350-9 deliveries out to 2022-2027?
Old May 2, 2019, 7:10 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I've only flown it on VN which had a quite poor business class seat, so my experience wasn't as favorable. Seat aside, to me the A350 was indistinguishable from a ride standpoint to a 787. If UA only flies 787s, that's fine for me if they'd ever upgrade the seats on the -8s and -9s to new Polaris. The only big advantage to getting A350s would be more of the fleet having new seats.
I have to disagree there.

I have flown 8 flights on the A350 on all variants in all different cabin configs and airlines. From CX/QR J on a -900, to SQ W on the -900ULR, and one segment on QR in Y on a -1000.

It feels way more modern on the inside then a 787, and is certainly more quiet aircraft there is no doubt there.

I haven't flown the 787-10 yet, but I have logged flights on the -8 and -9 variants. For me its not a contest the A350 would be my choice over the 787 every time.

I hope that UA adds them to the fleet at 9 across with the extra cabin width you get on the A350 it would be their most comfortable long haul seat in economy. Assuming by 2022/2023 there won't be too many 767s left.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
However, I should have emphasized a new build/design issues/significant delays/etc, rather then just changing to a composite wing and new engines (as seems to be the publicly perceived issue that has contributed to the max issues).
The 777 and 737 have completely different handling characteristics. There is zero reason to believe that the 777X will have a similar nose-up tendency just because the engines are bigger. (The engines on the 737NG are much larger than those on the classic 737, but the 737NG doesn't have the same tendency).

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
For me its not a contest the A350 would be my choice over the 787 every time.

I hope that UA adds them to the fleet at 9 across with the extra cabin width you get on the A350 it would be their most comfortable long haul seat in economy.
Like most aircraft decisions, it's going to come down to personal preference and to seats -- and the seats have little / nothing to do with the aircraft itself. The A350 SQ J seat is the least comfortable flat-bed seat I've ever flown. Until / unless UA starts seeing book-away in Y due to seat comfort -- and it seems clear that they haven't, and if they haven't by now, they probably won't -- they're not going to be concerned with a wider cabin.

I maintain that UA has zero interest in ever taking delivery of the A350.
mellon likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
(1) I don't discount the possibility of 777x issues, Boeing fired/offshored/"McDonald Douglased" its formerly leading engineering staff and the reality is that they have had one issue MAX after another 787, no company relying on Boeing to deliver quality new A/C on time can have much faith in Boeing at this.
Unfortunately for the airlines, they have no reason for greater faith in Airbus, and certainly not in any of the foreign upstarts (i.e. COMAC). The last decade and a half has been marred with A380 delay after delay, A350 relaunch after relaunch driving delays, and then the A320neo EIS debacle with poor operational performance and an inability to deliver ~half the orders.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm guessing you have not flown the 781 in J. It's too narrow for the Polaris seat, to the point I'll avoid the refitted 787s in long-haul. The 350 has a wider cabin and the Polaris seat will fit better.
With United's "strategy" of just shoving a 777 product into a narrower airframe (787 or A350), it's always going to be too narrow on a non-777.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by worldclubber
^

I used to be a "if it's not Boeing I'm not going" guy, but the A350 (and the A380) are just great planes from a pax perspective.

Hope UA takes their order, but doubt it.
Same here. Let’s hope Boeing can knock it out of the park if and when the B797 is made public.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
^

I used to be a "if it's not Boeing I'm not going" guy, but the A350 (and the A380) are just great planes from a pax perspective.

Hope UA takes their order, but doubt it.
Meh. I'll never forgive it for replacing the 747. They took the double-decker concept and made it a terminally boring plane, identical to every other one, and ugly to boot
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
@findark, not just ugly. The A380 is just too dang big to make sense. I never understood the logic of airports that reconfigured runways and terminals at huge (public) expense to accommodate the A380 unless there was a LOT of under-the-table palm-greaing going on.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:20 pm

United will take delivery of all 350's---- management is in complete agreement on the subject
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trk1
United will take delivery of all 350's---- management is in complete agreement on the subject
Thanks for sharing this good news. Source?
nexus7556 likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by findark
Meh. I'll never forgive it for replacing the 747. They took the double-decker concept and made it a terminally boring plane, identical to every other one, and ugly to boot
I spend most of time inside the plane instead of looking at it and the F cabins on SQ, LH etc. on the A380 are hard to beat.

Does the 747 look better? Sure!
Brucemcdou and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

I spend most of time inside the plane instead of looking at it and the F cabins on SQ, LH etc. on the A380 are hard to beat.

Does the 747 look better? Sure!
I would take the nose or UD of a 747 over any location on a 380. Sure, some of the best F suites are on the 380, but that's mostly because they are newer. But the 747 has unique locations that don't exist on other aircraft. The 380 is a fine ride on the inside, but it's not special that way 747 rides are
Old May 2, 2019, 1:18 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by findark
I would take the nose or UD of a 747 over any location on a 380. Sure, some of the best F suites are on the 380, but that's mostly because they are newer. But the 747 has unique locations that don't exist on other aircraft. The 380 is a fine ride on the inside, but it's not special that way 747 rides are
Sadly, I've never flown in 747 nose, but gotta say UA's Upper Deck Biz had a more special feel than TG Int'l First Class on 380. Though I loved Dom (ya, I splurged for that before the first big UA mile devaluation )

But to come back OT, agree with posters who write that 350 is more quiet - my friend also commented on this after his first A350 flight. Though UD on 747 is pretty darn quiet IMHO
Old May 2, 2019, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Great, so it’s a definite maybe?!
Old May 2, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Seriously??

Remember SMI/J? He was the person who wanted many 787 routes to be based in IAH, as he believed it was a game-changing airport for UA/CO.

Guess what happened and how many 787 routes are actually based in IAH?
Old May 2, 2019, 5:14 pm

Anything can change between now and 2022. I won’t believe anything management says until the first plane is on property.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.