Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happened to the a350 order?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by schley
Preston feeling alittle frisky today I see and so close to Mother's Day.

If you are familiar with bilateral purchase contracts, then standard options exist such as those I mentioned, which wouldn't be unique to UA's with Airbus. A contract, between UA and Airbus in this case, is a legally binding agreement that if one party doesn't fulfill their obligations they would be in breach and would carry penalties.

Are you saying this contract isn't legally binding? That is something the shareholders and the SEC would love to hear about if so. If it wasn't it wouldn't be a contract to publicize and report on one's financial statements and against US GAAP. There should be nothing ambiguous or murky with contracts but crystal clear and black/white or it wouldn't pass the 5 characteristics of a legally binding contact.

Contact me offline and we can continue with substance, as opposed to the soft pitch softballs you are throwing my way.

Don't forget to contact all the women in your life who are mom's tomorrow.^
OK, show me all of the performance guarantees in the contract (since you can't you are speaking out of nowhere anyways) and the cross-default sub's and 3 legal opinions telling me that there is a 0% chance there are no defaults or cross defaults and then we can have a discussion whether they are binding. We both know the reason UA can kick the can down the road is because Airbus missed its original delivery dates so the whole contract is possibly in technical default anyways...so there's that...

and what does my mother have to do with this? is this a violation of FT terms? very OT
Old May 11, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by prestonh
OK, show me all of the performance guarantees in the contract (since you can't you are speaking out of nowhere anyways) and the cross-default sub's and 3 legal opinions telling me that there is a 0% chance there are no defaults or cross defaults and then we can have a discussion whether they are binding. We both know the reason UA can kick the can down the road is because Airbus missed its original delivery dates so the whole contract is possibly in technical default anyways...so there's that...

and what does my mother have to do with this? is this a violation of FT terms? very OT
Reminding someone about Happy Mother's Day is against TOC?

It is mother's day where I live right now and hope you and yours have a great one.^
God bless.
EmailKid likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by jsloan
I continue to believe that no UA A350 will ever fly.
Which would be sad, as it's a wonderful plane from a pax perspective. Many airlines do not have a problem with buying planes from different manufacturers and UA probably should also buy what is best for their routes. Doesn't mean they have to be like TG and buy every single widebody on the market.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by worldclubber
Which would be sad, as it's a wonderful plane from a pax perspective. Many airlines do not have a problem with buying planes from different manufacturers and UA probably should also buy what is best for their routes.
The best plane argument needs to encompass not just seat count, cargo volume, range, acquisition cost and operating cost but also crew training and parts commonality. What can the 359+10 do that the 788/789/787-10 can't, relative to current and plausible routes in meaningful numbers on the UA network? Does that bring enough value to justify duplication?
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The best plane argument needs to encompass not just seat count, cargo volume, range, acquisition cost and operating cost but also crew training and parts commonality. What can the 359+10 do that the 788/789/787-10 can't, relative to current and plausible routes in meaningful numbers on the UA network? Does that bring enough value to justify duplication?
It can do that I do not avoid it like the proverbial plague when having to travel in Y (which, admittedly, is rare, but does happen). 9-across on a 787 is just terrible.

What it can also do is that you do not depend on one manufacturer, and particularly not on one that had some of its types grounded in recent history.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:32 am

It can do that I do not avoid it like the proverbial plague when having to travel in Y (which, admittedly, is rare, but does happen). 9-across on a 787 is just terrible.

What it can also do is that you do not depend on one manufacturer, and particularly not on one that had some of its types grounded in recent history.
Since when does any airline care about the perceived comfort of Y passengers when purchasing aircraft or outfitting them?
jsloan likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Newman55
Since when does any airline care about the perceived comfort of Y passengers when purchasing aircraft or outfitting them?
Maybe they should.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:24 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Which would be sad, as it's a wonderful plane from a pax perspective. Many airlines do not have a problem with buying planes from different manufacturers and UA probably should also buy what is best for their routes. Doesn't mean they have to be like TG and buy every single widebody on the market.
Well, they skipped 748 ....

Maybe they should.
But US3 have consistently shown they don't care about the coach experience @:-)
jsloan likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:49 am

Maybe they should.
Perhaps. Until the consumer starts to care, why should the airlines?

Many airlines have tried to differentiate themselves by offering more personal space in economy compared to competitors, but time and time again it’s shown that most economy passengers don’t care.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Maybe they should.
But they don’t, do they?
Old May 12, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Contract law debate aside, it is interesting to see how differently UA is handing the A350 vs other major new types. The Dreamliner was promoted well in advance of its arrival in service: “Game-changer!”. Likewise the 777. UA was the North American launch customer for both though.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
One thing the 359 offers: a plane that seats around 275-300 with range to replace the 772s. Once the 276-seat 772s start leaving the fleet, for longer flights United will be left with 252-seat 789s (which I imagine will drop in capacity a bit when Premium Plus is added) and 350-seat 77Ws. If they don't get the 359 (or something comparable), they will have to mostly use 789s as replacements and suffer capacity downgrades in growing markets to Asia (the 787-10 has the capacity but not the range). Will this be enough to add the 359 to the fleet? Time will tell.
worldclubber likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by lenscap
One thing the 359 offers: a plane that seats around 275-300 with range to replace the 772s. Once the 276-seat 772s start leaving the fleet, for longer flights United will be left with 252-seat 789s (which I imagine will drop in capacity a bit when Premium Plus is added) and 350-seat 77Ws. If they don't get the 359 (or something comparable), they will have to mostly use 789s as replacements and suffer capacity downgrades in growing markets to Asia (the 787-10 has the capacity but not the range). Will this be enough to add the 359 to the fleet? Time will tell.
The fact that UA did some proving runs on the 78J (e.g. IAD-PEK) suggests that UA may figure that the 78J can adequately cover enough 772 routes that it can take over most of its flying and use the 77W exclusively on the longer-haul 772 routes. That said, UA has not placed any more orders for the 78J - only the 789 so far - so perhaps that’s not quite in the offing / their thinking...yet.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Newman55

Didn't Munoz make some comment recently that passenger comfort is going to be important going forward?
Old May 12, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Didn't Munoz make some comment recently that passenger comfort is going to be important going forward?
His comments were more like “The passengers hate everything about the flying process already, so what we can do to help is to not make it worse.” Nothing about making it better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.