Wiki Posts
Search

What happened to the a350 order?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 5:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28

Anything can change between now and 2022.

Agreed.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28

I won’t believe anything management says until the first plane is on property.
How about seeing a frame being painted
JOSECONLSCREW28 likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I have to disagree there.

I have flown 8 flights on the A350 on all variants in all different cabin configs and airlines. From CX/QR J on a -900, to SQ W on the -900ULR, and one segment on QR in Y on a -1000.

It feels way more modern on the inside then a 787, and is certainly more quiet aircraft there is no doubt there.
All Skytrax 5* airlines, its kind of comparing apples to oranges if comparing it to UA's 787. A lot of the "modern" feeling comes down to decor, IFE, seats, etc. I bet UA's A350s won't feel much different to the Polaris 772s which also feel more "modern" compared to the 787s. Keep in mind, 787s are approaching 7 years in the fleet already.

Also from my perspective, the loudest thing inside a plane is the HVAC, I hear it over the 787 and even 777 engine noise.

Last edited by thejaredhuang; May 2, 2019 at 7:17 pm
Old May 2, 2019, 7:50 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
All Skytrax 5* airlines, its kind of comparing apples to oranges if comparing it to UA's 787. A lot of the "modern" feeling comes down to decor, IFE, seats, etc. I bet UA's A350s won't feel much different to the Polaris 772s which also feel more "modern" compared to the 787s. Keep in mind, 787s are approaching 7 years in the fleet already.

Also from my perspective, the loudest thing inside a plane is the HVAC, I hear it over the 787 and even 777 engine noise.
What I meant by a more modern feeling more nuanced then a QSuite. I know I will never see something like that on a US airline.

I am talking about the digital seat belt signs, the faucets in the lavs, etc.

I understand cabin fit and finish vary a lot I've flown on very young 787s on African carriers that looked like they'd already been in service for 20 years. I flew on a young 777-200LR operated by Turkmenistan Airlines where even the reading lights didn't work.

However, after a pretty large sample size of flying the 787 and 350 its my favorite long haul bird right now.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UAL757222
They’re ideal for replacing 772’s in the upcoming years. They’ve upped the order to 45, first from 25, then 35, as they’ve kicked the can down the road.

The cancellation penalty on these is going to be pretty big. IIRC, the deposits from cancelled A319/320 orders pre bankruptcy were used on these in 2009 when they were first ordered.
I believe there are also deposits paid to Rolls Royce for the engines. Canceling would have a cost and perhaps continuing with a single supplier strategy for new planes may represent costs and risks UA should think about carefully.

I think the order was delayed to better align deliveries with early model 772ER retirements, give Airbus time to make further performance (range and/or fuel economy) improvements and work out bugs. UA was subject to a lot of teething issues with the early 787s.

The 9 abreast 18” Y seats would be a huge win from the passenger experience perspective and hope UA is genuinely committed to taking the aircraft.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:05 pm

United could convert the order to 100 A321neos / A321 LR
Old May 5, 2019, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by BF263533
United could convert the order to 100 A321neos / A321 LR
UA will have to take some sort of aircraft from Airbus or lose a substantial deposit.

All Airbus aircraft have minimum 18" wide seats in Y, so more Airbus is good news regardless of what model ends up getting delivered.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I have not yet flown an A350, but from a cabin width perspective, it certainly beats the Boeing 787. Seems like a very solid airplane.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I have not yet flown an A350, but from a cabin width perspective, it certainly beats the Boeing 787. Seems like a very solid airplane.
At least based on my experience on TG's A359 in J, I would definitely take it any day over any variant of the 787. It's a phenomenal bird.
Old May 5, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by PacificClipper

I believe there are also deposits paid to Rolls Royce for the engines. Canceling would have a cost and perhaps continuing with a single supplier strategy for new planes may represent costs and risks UA should think about carefully.

I think the order was delayed to better align deliveries with early model 772ER retirements, give Airbus time to make further performance (range and/or fuel economy) improvements and work out bugs. UA was subject to a lot of teething issues with the early 787s.

The 9 abreast 18” Y seats would be a huge win from the passenger experience perspective and hope UA is genuinely committed to taking the aircraft.
This. The hang up is on the rollers. IIRC there was an investors statement by a VP which they said the contract was too high for the engines which is why they keep deferring. My guess is the strategy is they are pushing it out until the RR engines get moved onto the 797 or something like that. It doesn't help that RR is in a meltdown with their 787 trents.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have done a few A350 flights and love flying them. More spacious, quiet and bigger bathrooms than 787, but also love flying the 787s.

After flying a number of refitted 772s with Polaris and premium economy seats, I appreciate the upfront investments made by UA to install new seats and refurnish the interiors and bathrooms to the entire fleet of 772s. With that kind of investments, I just don’t see UA start retiring its 772s in 2022 to make rooms for A350. The investment made to refurbish 772s need a few more years of services to justify the investments. Unless it is for capacity building, IMHO, the A350 order will be delayed once again.
jsloan, EWR764 and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The A359 makes perfect sense at United, but I think UA will wait until the second-generation (NEO) engine is available, and from then, wait until that tech matures before replacing the bulk of its 77Es. We're talking middle of the decade or so. After speaking to some senior UA management, it seems they have no qualms with operating 25-30 year old widebodies, so 2024 and later would seem to be the right point to start retiring 77Es. Similarly, everyone responds with enthusiasm for the A359, but the message seems to be "when the time is right."

Reading between the lines, my impression is that United isn't satisfied with the 359's economics compared to the 787-9/10 or even a fully-depreciated, densified 77E (same with the A350-1000 vs. a sweetheart-deal 77W), which is the primary reason the 350s have been deferred, not because it doesn't know what to do with the order. The fact that the 787 does better than the 350 in terms of trip costs and per-seat fuel economy is reflected in the nearly 2:1 sales advantage. Airbus knows it, and desperately wants to keep United as a customer, so that's why it's playing ball with the order instead of telling United to take-it-or-leave-it. A NEO will close that gap, and for Boeing to meaningfully improve the 787-10's performance, a major redesign will be necessary.

At current density, the 787-9 is not a great 77E replacement, and the 787-10 doesn't have the same mission capability. The A359 fits perfectly and a few percentage points improvement in fuel burn the new engines are supposed to confer will make a difference. A massive widebody order is a huge capex commitment, so the incoming aircraft must have materially better operating economics than the generation it replaces.

Last edited by EWR764; May 8, 2019 at 10:40 am
Old May 8, 2019, 10:51 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764

The fact that the 787 does better than the 350 in terms of trip costs and per-seat fuel economy is reflected in the nearly 2:1 sales advantage. Airbus knows it, and desperately wants to keep United as a customer, so that's why it's playing ball with the order instead of telling United to take-it-or-leave-it. A NEO will close that gap, and for Boeing to meaningfully improve the 787-10's performance, a major redesign will be necessary.

As I understand it, the 350 is also considerably more expensive to purchase (or lease one would think).
Old May 8, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At current density, the 787-9 is not a great 77E replacement, and the 787-10 doesn't have the same mission capability. The A359 fits perfectly and a few percentage points improvement in fuel burn the new engines are supposed to confer will make a difference. A massive widebody order is a huge capex commitment, so the incoming aircraft must have materially better operating economics than the generation it replaces.
You shouldn't compare the rumored future performance of the A359 to the current performance of the 787. It's entirely possible that the A359 fuel improvements will never materialize, or that, if they do, Boeing is able to provide similar improvements to the 787 in the same timeframe.

Originally Posted by EmailKid
As I understand it, the 350 is also considerably more expensive to purchase (or lease one would think).
Everything is negotiable.

That said, I remain convinced that current UA management has no interest in Airbus widebodies.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by jsloan
You shouldn't compare the rumored future performance of the A359 to the current performance of the 787. It's entirely possible that the A359 fuel improvements will never materialize, or that, if they do, Boeing is able to provide similar improvements to the 787 in the same timeframe.
It depends if Boeing believes there is a business case to re-engine the 787. There’s no doubt the technology, if it scales as projected, will result in a meaningful SFC increase. Still, United will
not be on the cutting edge of that development, given its 787 woes in early 2013 and the ongoing RR Trent problems (which UAL fortunately missed out on).

For a long-term sales perspective, Airbus has a greater impetus to improve the economics of the A350 now than Boeing does for the 787.

Everything is negotiable.

That said, I remain convinced that current UA management has no interest in Airbus widebodies.
Which is probably pure speculation and cuts against management’s public and private (reportedly) statements. If you said that in 2014, I would agree with you, but virtually everyone in United’s top leadership roles has been replaced since then.

Keep in mind the person steering United’s ship (Scott Kirby... Oscar is little more than a figurehead) has generally been at Airbus-supplied carriers for the last 20 years or so. There’s no reason to believe he has any sort of anti-Airbus bias.
tuolumne and ContinentalFan like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which is probably pure speculation and cuts against management’s public and private (reportedly) statements. If you said that in 2014, I would agree with you, but virtually everyone in United’s top leadership roles has been replaced since then.
Yes, it is pure speculation, based upon their repeated failure to take delivery of an Airbus widebody. I believe any pro-Airbus statements are nothing but a negotiating tactic, especially public ones.

I may be proven wrong. I don't care for the A350 myself, but then again, I haven't had the (dis)pleasure of flying the 781 J seat yet. Since UA will presumably try to squeeze 1-2-1 Polaris seating into the A350 (if they were to accept it), I imagine it'd be somewhat less cramped.

I continue to believe that the likely 772 replacement is the 77X. I think Boeing would like customers to take the 777X as a 772 replacement, but the capacity seems wrong. I think UA would be interested in the 777-7X, but that one doesn't seem to be on the table.

Last edited by jsloan; May 8, 2019 at 12:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.