Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happened to the a350 order?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Wasn't there some charts in a conference call, some time ago, which plotted the range and payload of the 777s, 787s, and A350s for comparison? Can anyone find those?

As I recall, the A350 fit into some gaps that the Boeings didn't fill.
Hope this works: https://theicct.org/sites/default/fi...y_aircraft.png. Not exactly your request, but charts comparison
LarryJ and nexus7556 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Wasn't there some charts in a conference call, some time ago, which plotted the range and payload of the 777s, 787s, and A350s for comparison? Can anyone find those?

As I recall, the A350 fit into some gaps that the Boeings didn't fill.
Perhaps this? Source says it's from 2018 UA presentation

Veritas: Range of A350, 787 and 777x according to United Airlines
cesco.g and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by EWR764
I have speculated for some time that UA is not particularly interested in the A359 with current engines, as its performance is sufficiently close to the existing fleet mix (789/78X/77W plus fully-depreciated 77E) that it does not justify the capex for inducting an entirely new fleet/engine... even pre-COVID. Now, with what will in all likelihood be a shrinking widebody fleet in coming years, coupled with a reduction in fleet capex, I think the A350 order, as currently contemplated, is a non-starter.

Previously, some industry observers projected Airbus would announce an A350neo with the forthcoming RR Ultrafan geared large turbofan, with a target EIS of 2025/26. An A350neo would be expected to deliver high-single-digit improved economics over the current A350 and 787 lineup, and around 25% over the 77E.

This week, RR announced they are temporarily suspending development of the Ultrafan due to a lack of an aircraft partner, which suggests to me Airbus is putting the 350neo on ice for a few years. This is expected given the likely multi-year downturn in international/long haul travel, reduced airline capex and depressed demand for large WB aircraft.

Based on that, I would expect United to further kick the can down the road on its A350 order until late in this decade, as it has limited options to get out of its RR engine contract without a prohibitive penalty. My understanding is Airbus is willing to play ball with UA on revising the 350 order (e.g., conversion to 321LR/XLR, A220) but since the Airbus narrowbody line lacks an RR engine offering, such a modification does nothing for the contract.
So UA is obligated to only buy planes with RR engines?
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
There is a separate contract with RR for the engines
Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by LifetimeGS
There is a separate contract with RR for the engines
Did UA opted for RR engines with their 787 fleet?
Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
No, but there is pre-merger contract in which United committed to Trent XWB engines for its A350 order, plus "TotalCare" service (which itself is very lucrative). These contracts often have onerous cancellation/rescission provisions. I don't profess to know anything about the specifics of a proprietary, confidential business agreement between UA and RR, but at the time of the AIP (12/2009) United was barely four years removed from bankruptcy and in the midst of another restructuring, posting a billion-dollar annual loss, while publicly courting a merger with US or CO. At the same time, RR was booking lots of orders for the 787 and A350, and hadn't yet encountered the reliability woes associated with the Trent 1000 fan blade cracking. Comparatively, RR was in a stronger bargaining position. It would not surprise me if the deal included significant, rather ironclad penalties if UA elects to walk away.

Did UA opted for RR engines with their 787 fleet?
The 787s are all GEnx-powered. Some discussion took place re: the Trent 1000 TEN for the 787-10s, but that went nowhere.
cesco.g and lsquare like this.

Last edited by EWR764; Jan 5, 2021 at 11:47 am
Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:58 am

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
No, but there is pre-merger contract in which United committed to Trent XWB engines for its A350 order, plus "TotalCare" service (which itself is very lucrative). These contracts often have onerous cancellation/rescission provisions. I don't profess to know anything about the specifics of a proprietary, confidential business agreement between UA and RR, but at the time of the AIP (12/2009) United was barely four years removed from bankruptcy and in the midst of another restructuring, posting a billion-dollar annual loss, while publicly courting a merger with US or CO. At the same time, RR was booking lots of orders for the 787 and A350, and hadn't yet encountered the reliability woes associated with the Trent 1000 fan blade cracking. Comparatively, RR was in a stronger bargaining position. It would not surprise me if the deal included significant, rather ironclad penalties if UA elects to walk away.

The 787s are all GEnx-powered. Some discussion took place re: the Trent 1000 TEN for the 787-10s, but that went nowhere.
The only planes in the fleet I can think of with RR engines are the ex-CO 757-200s
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:09 pm

The only planes in the fleet I can think of with RR engines are the ex-CO 757-200s
That's correct... all 757-224s, all 757-324s and most 757-33Ns have the RB211-535E4B variant. A handful of the ex-ATA 757-33N were still certified as the -E4C variant as recently as a year or two ago, but that might have lapsed as there's no structural difference between that and the E4B. The E4C was developed solely for ATA with a small thrust bump to enable 753 operations from MDW, and carried over after CO picked up those frames following the dissolution of TZ.

In 2019, StandardAero at SKF won the TotalCare contract for the RB211 fleet through its end of service life, and UA sends its motors there for overhauls.
cesco.g, ContinentalFan and atword like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
Perhaps this? Source says it's from 2018 UA presentation

Veritas: Range of A350, 787 and 777x according to United Airlines
That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks!

cesco.g and nexus7556 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
And those are the planes that feel (to me, as a passenger) like they have some real muscle on the take-off roll (relative to plane size)...

For some reason, I like the take-off on this plane more than any other.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 5:08 pm

In 2019, StandardAero at SKF won the TotalCare contract for the RB211 fleet through its end of service life, and UA sends its motors there for overhauls.
I was under the impression the RB211 was overhauled by Iberia in Spain.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
I was under the impression the RB211 was overhauled by Iberia in Spain.
Iberia does some RB211 overhauls in Spain (in the past a lot more) but the exclusive TotalCare contract is now held by StandardAero. Some engines not on TotalCare will continue to be servied by Iberia at MAD, but all TotalCare RB211s (including UA) are serviced by StandardAero at SKF.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Bumping this old thread. As far as I can tell there has been no movement on this order. The summer 2021 narrow body order had no impact. The only other news, dated October 2022, seems to be speculation of “triple-digit widebody aircraft order that's reportedly come down to a two-horse race between the Airbus A350 and Boeing's B787 Dreamliner”
am1108 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Would love to hear an update. A350 is better for passengers if they don't decide to go with the awful new 10 across configuration from the current 9. Wider seats and traditional window shades are superior but I know the dimming windows are now an option and supposedly newest darker generation (will see...).
lsquare and am1108 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 7:00 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Apparently a large order announcement is in the works by the end of the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.