787 Dreamliner Issue listed by FAA

Old May 1, 19, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Lifetime 1K, Global Service, Marriott LTTE, Hyatt GLobalist, AA MM,Hertz PC
787 Dreamliner Issue listed by FAA

Don't know where this goes, but this was just posted.

SEATTLE (Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration on Wednesday said it was mandating new flight control software and parts to Boeing Co's 787 Dreamliner to address what it called an unsafe operating condition of certain products on the plane.

The FAA's new airworthiness directive was prompted by a finding that certain areas in the 787's tire and wheel "threat zones" could be susceptible to damage, resulting in the loss of braking and steering power on the ground at certain speeds.

The FAA said it requires installing hydraulic tubing, a pressure-operated check valve, and new flight control software.
Old May 1, 19, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Why is this remarkable? Most aircraft types have hundreds of ADs and corresponding SBs. Are frequent fliers interested in each of them? We're gonna need a megathread.

What's the compliance time?
nnn and ContinentalFan like this.
Old May 1, 19, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
This airworthiness directive (like almost all ADs) is unremarkable in every way. It's just mandating compliance with service bulletins that were published in 2017 and 2018. In other words, all of the corrective action has already happened.
Old May 1, 19, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
OP, take a look at this(if you are brave enough!)

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli.../?q=boeing+787
Old May 2, 19, 5:47 am

Considering the current 737 Max debacle, there is heightened scrutiny on all Boeing issues.

I can can understand the OPís attention to this, especially taking into account the 787ís beginnings were pretty rough.
Old May 2, 19, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msglsmo View Post
Considering the current 737 Max debacle, there is heightened scrutiny on all Boeing issues.

I can can understand the OPís attention to this, especially taking into account the 787ís beginnings were pretty rough.
this is an example of a reporter creating a story because he/she had space to fill. The FAA has issued 50 AD's in the last 60 days, and there are over 15000 open ADs at the moment.
Old May 2, 19, 8:06 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
As a general aviation pilot, most AD's aren't much of an issue, nor do they put the aircraft manufacturer under scrutiny. However, most of the population aren't pilots and they don't understand the industry, all they know is that Boeing has a bunch of grounded airplanes with the Max, and now anything that pops up about any Boeing aircraft is newsworthy.

With that in mind, this made national news on CBS yesterday.
Old May 2, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by msglsmo View Post

Add to that the spanking Boeing got from the Air force ahead of the Max and the 787 on tanker delivery quality/ housekeeping etc
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old May 2, 19, 10:53 am

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Originally Posted by wanderingkev View Post
Add to that the spanking Boeing got from the Air force ahead of the Max and the 787 on tanker delivery quality/ housekeeping etc
The current stance of Boeing on the quality of their planes - refer to the arrogance displayed by the CEO earlier this week defending the MAX reminds me of GM in the 1980s.

I actually know enough to know ADs are normal in the aerospace industry.

I also know enough to recognize that the MAX, 787 and airforce issues are a smoking warning that Boeing may be burning but their arrogance about the issues may be too much to save them. I do hope Embraer does not end up with the same taint as I think recently they have designed and built some great aircraft and were taking on the duopoly before the acquisition.

(Although not sure why this thread is in the UA area.)
Old May 2, 19, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold Elite
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
Although CBS News today isn't the CBS News of 50 years ago ... I stopped watching even 60 Minutes years ago because of the rampant dishonesty in their "reporting".
Old May 2, 19, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe View Post
Although CBS News today isn't the CBS News of 50 years ago ... I stopped watching even 60 Minutes years ago because of the rampant dishonesty in their "reporting".
We are getting off topic, but I still watch the news, including 60 minutes, CBS This Morning, and ABC's whatever news on the weekend mornings, and a news channel that apparently upsets many despite its rating that I won't reveal. Plus I look at online news. I like to think I'm well rounded in doing so. More importantly, I don't let one article decide my opinion, but I do understand why people are concerned about Boeing right now. They have a hornets nest to figure out, and I hope they do. Until then public perception will be negative. Godspeed and safe flying moving forward for Boeing. I'm the dork that still finds old youtube videos on the 747 as a Boeing fanboy. But I also think Airbus is a incredible company as well, what does that make me? Neutral, and I hope both succeed without loss of life.
jupper likes this.
Old May 2, 19, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
As a general aviation pilot, most AD's aren't much of an issue, nor do they put the aircraft manufacturer under scrutiny. However, most of the population aren't pilots and they don't understand the industry, all they know is that Boeing has a bunch of grounded airplanes with the Max, and now anything that pops up about any Boeing aircraft is newsworthy.

Exactly.

But Boeing did cut corners short a bit on that MAX. I got this info from people involved in the avionics industry on the electronics side. They did so in order not to lose ground to Airbus and its A320Neo.

Well, in Avionics, quick rarely rhymes with good. They are now paying for their sins. They should expect that type of reporting for months to come. They and the FAA

It will subside as Boeing ups its game, and then it will become old news.