Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Amenity kit ear plugs - Too stiff to sleep with...

Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC

I'm a side sleeper, and I find the ear plugs included with the amenity kit impossible to sleep with.

-> They are stiff, and hurt my ear when placing my head on my side. Maybe my ears canals are too small...
-> Because they are stiff, they seem to slip out of my ear during my attempts at sleeping.
-> And somehow they don't even block sound that well.

Last I flew Polaris was December. I read that new kits have been introduced since then. I doubt it, but maybe they have decided to switch them for something softer?

As a side note: I have learned to always bring my own ear plugs. I use the
Honeywell Max Lite Honeywell Max Lite
plugs and never have issues sleeping on the side and they never fall off.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Coincidentally I just had a friend who is deaf in one ear show me how to put in the ear plug for side sleepers as I too find they slip out. You need to squeeze the plug the opposite way and then insert it into the ear so it expands sideways and not lengthways. It works!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Agreed, squeezing is really the most important element, because as the plugs expand back, they will fit each person's individual ear space. Myself, I roll the plug like a pin.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
They did indeed change the ear plugs in the new kits and I find them to be improved. They're now grey (instead of the previous bright color) and are slightly softer and they stay compressed for longer when you twist / squeeze them making them easier to put in.

Like sinoflyer I roll them super thin and long like a pin, then insert into the ear canal (they need to go in a bit) and then as they unroll they will fit your ear and create a seal. Only a small amount sticks out so I don't notice when I sleep on my side.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Agreed. Flight yesterday had the new Sunday amenity kits. Much nicer and I do enjoy the firmer plugs!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
I actually pack my own... I’ve tried a bunch of brands, and really love the Mack’s Ultra Soft.
https://amzn.to/2J0YEDm

~$8.00 for 50 pairs!
SFHokie, onthesam and andrewesque like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Highly recommend these
Howard Leight Howard Leight
ones -- softer and gentler on the ears, and easy removal with the T-shape. $16 for 200 pairs. Been using them for a few years now (I think it was someone else on FT who recommended them actually).
jonisflying likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by jonisflying
I actually pack my own... I’ve tried a bunch of brands, and really love the Mack’s Ultra Soft.
https://amzn.to/2J0YEDm

~$8.00 for 50 pairs!
Easy to do research on Amazon.com to find ones that are soft and cut down the decibal rating (db). I find anything rated 32db or better (higher number) works pretty good on a plane.

And buying cheap ones in bulk mean you can dispose of them after a couple of uses; can't imagine buying an expensive pair and washing/cleaning them often to remove the wax and bacteria that likely grow..
jonisflying likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I agree and always bring my own. Every airline is different I prefer the silicone ones
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Me too. I have my personal preference, so I bring my own ear plugs and mint flavor lipbalm, can't expect airlines to please every customer's taste.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
On a side note, reaching over your head with the other hand and tugging up on your ear a little helps straighten the ear canal and allows easier install of the ear plug.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:01 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by cricketer
Highly recommend these Howard Leight ones -- softer and gentler on the ears, and easy removal with the T-shape. $16 for 200 pairs. Been using them for a few years now (I think it was someone else on FT who recommended them actually).
Thanks. I just might try those. I carry tweezers in my computer bag as -- way too often -- I shove the compressed ear plug too far in and there's not enough for my fat fingers to grab on to when it's time to remove them.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:23 am

https://smile.amazon.com/Flents-Quie...gateway&sr=8-5

I've been sleeping with these for years (hubby snores) and love them!
Old May 2, 2019, 12:13 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
The above are child's play, I tell ya'...

I swear by these:

https://www.amazon.com/Earplugs-Cancelling-Protection-Reduction-Blocking/dp/B073CC9ZNM/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3DRMUBIWHPBAT&keywords=35db+ear+plugs&qid=1556820390&s=hpc&sprefix=35db%2Chpc%2C158&sr=1-5 https://www.amazon.com/Earplugs-Cancelling-Protection-Reduction-Blocking/dp/B073CC9ZNM/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3DRMUBIWHPBAT&keywords=35db+ear+plugs&qid=1556820390&s=hpc&sprefix=35db%2Chpc%2C158&sr=1-5

Highest db blocking available without a prescription. (If that's a thing, it just sounded clinical).

I keep the cute little United ones on hand as like a 4th-string backup in case my other three pair either fail me or go missing. Haven't had to result to them since the 'Connoisseur Class" version.

Signed,

A man who is an extremely light sleeper who has trouble falling asleep and has not spent a night without ear plugs in his ears in the last 20 years--at home, on an airplane, in a hotel, on a boat, etc. I simply cannot fall asleep without ear plugs. (I also have a white noise app on my iPad and phone, one of which plays next to me as I sleep).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.