Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Being able to hear cabin announcements

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ATLintheair
Is that a safety issue that perhaps needs to be addressed? Is it even an issue?
No and no.

It is a passenger's own mess when he/she chooses not to listen and/or read the safety card.
Miggles likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:17 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
This is some good timing. I was just wondering why airlines even do safety videos anymore. I'm somehow able to fasten my seat belt every time I drive a car without having to ignore a video first. There's no demonstration for putting my life jacket on when I get in a boat. Or how to escape the Metro in DC when it's on fire (which seems far more necessary than any airline training).

I'm glad my episode of Brooklyn 99 runs uninterrupted. The crew make too many announcements as it is.
Miggles likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by TBD
This is some good timing. I was just wondering why airlines even do safety videos anymore. I'm somehow able to fasten my seat belt every time I drive a car without having to ignore a video first. There's no demonstration for putting my life jacket on when I get in a boat. Or how to escape the Metro in DC when it's on fire (which seems far more necessary than any airline training).

I'm glad my episode of Brooklyn 99 runs uninterrupted. The crew make too many announcements as it is.
Because airlines use safety as a means to advertise a reason to fly.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
No and no.

It is a passenger's own mess when he/she chooses not to listen and/or read the safety card.
I'd agree with you if it was simple natural selection but that person not paying attention is also endangering others if/when the emergency happens and s/he doesn't know what to do, impedes traffic, etc.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:01 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Because airlines use safety as a means to advertise a reason to fly.
Not sure I follow your logic. I've never heard an airline refer to being safer than alternatives (although true). I also don't think any level of safety training would make me more likely to fly if I ever were involved in an incident.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
It's a real balancing act between practical information and liability-avoidance. Regardless of how many times they tell you not to inflate your life vest until just before leaving the plane, would most people remember that instruction if actually needed? Infant life vests "will be provided." How? As FA's are preparing the plane and (some) hysterical passengers for a water landing? And should airlines do a better job policing the emergency exit? Should those passengers not be served alcohol? Would they remember not to open the window exit (row 20/21) in the event of a water landing "unless instructed to do so by a crew member." Who makes that decision and how would it be communicated?
Old May 2, 2019, 11:21 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt. Marriott. AA. National. Avis.
Originally Posted by Gynob001
​​​​​​I am one of those who can't hear cabin announcements, partly due to my hearing loss and partly due to poor quality of audio equipment in the plane. Ancient audio technology, cheap speakers/microphone (probably that is on a phone set), poor placement of speakers, etc contribute. I think it is time for major Audio equipment companies, such as Bose or JBL or any other, should take an interest. We look for the best audio in car but in plane we are solely dependent on our own devices for better quality entertainment.
Don't blame the audio companies...blame the airline. If you saw some of the regional jets I've been in the past year or so...

I'm sure audio companies have had better sound systems for years (maybe decades), but putting one in a CRJ-200 would be kind of like the teenager who drives a beat up car -- but puts a new stereo system and a sub-woofer in it anyway.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:15 pm

I have hearing aids yet I can almost never understand any announcements over PA anywhere . I would welcome closed caption on IFE screens . As boring as it has become I try to pay attention or at least show respect by appearing to pay attention . I always locate the exits behind and in front of our seats . Often I check for the flotation device but, not always .
Old May 2, 2019, 2:45 pm

Captive audience subjected to excessive unnecessary announcements - any wonder passengers tune out during the safety briefing ?

It well may be nice to hear the names of the cockpit crew - but is it really necessary ?

Can anyone remember the names of the cockpit crew from their last flight ?

The purser tells us: "The captain has told us flying time with be xx hours and xx minutes."

Guaranteed, less than five minutes later, the captain comes on and tells us: "Flying time will be xx hours and xx minutes."

Can anyone remember a flight that has not happened ?

Hey pursers, let the captain tell us about the flight details and you can tell us about the in-cabin service.

Not a rant or complaint but simply observations.
HMPS likes this.

Last edited by Aspen; May 2, 2019 at 3:07 pm
Old May 2, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I'd agree with you if it was simple natural selection but that person not paying attention is also endangering others if/when the emergency happens and s/he doesn't know what to do, impedes traffic, etc.
Emergencies, by their own natures, are chaotic. Even a well-prepared person can still respond away from expected.

Just because the full plane have paid all necessary attention to the safety briefing, it does not mean things can't go chaotic.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
I don't really think it's a safety issue, so long as if crap goes down you can follow the flight attendant instructions.

As a side note, I flew Air Canada the other week and they forced me to remove my headphones during the safety announcement.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by brp1264
As a side note, I flew Air Canada the other week and they forced me to remove my headphones during the safety announcement.
Even when connected to IFE the FAs will usually ask you to remove headphones. Earbuds are generally OK.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by TBD
Not sure I follow your logic. I've never heard an airline refer to being safer than alternatives (although true). I also don't think any level of safety training would make me more likely to fly if I ever were involved in an incident.
pmUA would have disagreed with you. They considered making a decisive statement that safety was a priority to be a clear marketing tactic. It was so deliberate that some of their last pre-merger safety videos just said the word "safety" no fewer than 6 times.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by emcampbe
When BYOD entertainment came out, I was surprised when making an announcement didn’t pause the entertainment. I admit to be no expert in avionics or anything, but given the server with the content is onboard, I don’t see how it could be that complicated to get it to happen like it does with the built-in AVOD.

I forgot which UA plane I was flying but I was streaming and when announcements were made it paused on my device and had a little text box reading "cabin announcement".
drewguy likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by TBD

So how many pax take notice or KNOW where the Emergency Exit Doors are ? I have flown a lot but yet follow coplete briefings, even trying to remember how many rows do I have to pass to get to the Exit behind me. You may know "everything" about evacuation but just think of those who are too busy to pay attention to announcements panicking when we all need to get the heck out. Smoke is a big killer too.
ATLintheair likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.