FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Do you use a different *A carrier to book domestic mileage award flights on UA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1967289-do-you-use-different-carrier-book-domestic-mileage-award-flights-ua.html)

Mbcijim10 Apr 28, 2019 9:07 am

Do you use a different *A carrier to book domestic mileage award flights on UA?

Title says it all.

If so, why?
Does UA only release saver availability to its partners?

Ive redeemed close to 2M points through UA, probably 50% of which was domestic saver tickets, 25% domestic non-saver, and 25% international non-saver and saver. I’m looking to see if I should up my game and learn another *A carrier.

jsloan Apr 28, 2019 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10 (Post 31045469)

No. All UA flyers have at least as much UA award inventory as partner airlines.

onthesam Apr 28, 2019 9:22 am

Title says it all.

If so, why?

Ive redeemed close to 2M points through UA, probably 50% of which was domestic saver tickets, 25% domestic non-saver, and 25% international non-saver and saver. I’m looking to see if I should up my game and learn another *A carrier.

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31045480)
No. All UA flyers have at least as much UA award inventory as partner airlines.

I think.... OP might have meant to say 'Does UA release only saver inventory (i.e. does it release anything but saver) to its partners?'

My understanding is that partners only book into saver. Not sure how this works for dynamic awards. Anyone?

fone Apr 28, 2019 9:24 am

My only one experience says it is the same inventory for Mileage Plus and for other *A partners. Was looking to redeem a domestic flight for my family of 4, saw 2 at Mileage Plus and 2 from A3. Proceeded to book the 2 seats from A3 and the Mileage Plus seats are gone (could have been other factors also), but at least, this is my one and only experience. Ended up booking VX using SQ miles and cancelling the A3 award tickets on UA.

jsloan Apr 28, 2019 9:38 am

Originally Posted by onthesam (Post 31045515)
I think.... OP might have meant to say 'Does UA release only saver inventory (i.e. does it release anything but saver) to its partners?'

My understanding is that partners only book into saver. Not sure how this works for dynamic awards. Anyone?

Partners have access to X (economy) and I (business/first) inventory. What that will mean in an era of dynamic awards is still up in the air.

All UA members have access to X and I; additionally, UA members with Premier status or a qualifying United-branded Chase credit card have access to XN (economy), which is often greater than X.

Originally Posted by fone (Post 31045522)
My only one experience says it is the same inventory for Mileage Plus and for other *A partners. Was looking to redeem a domestic flight for my family of 4, saw 2 at Mileage Plus and 2 from A3. Proceeded to book the 2 seats from A3 and the Mileage Plus seats are gone (could have been other factors also), but at least, this is my one and only experience. Ended up booking VX using SQ miles and cancelling the A3 award tickets on UA.

Yes, that makes sense. The A3 awards would have used the X inventory, and the default behavior would then be for UA to remove 2 from X and XN.

fone Apr 28, 2019 10:43 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31045559)
Yes, that makes sense. The A3 awards would have used the X inventory, and the default behavior would then be for UA to remove 2 from X and XN.

This was from me coming from SQ, where SQ does have separate inventory for its own members and for *A partners. For example, I was able to book 2 tickets via *A partners (ie A3 miles) and 2 tickets via SQ miles (same flight), when both sides were each showing 2 tickets available. So was expecting similar behavior from UA, but it was not.

FlyerTalker70 Apr 28, 2019 12:07 pm

Title says it all.

If so, why?

Indeed I do. I'm Canadian so all the opportunities for earning award miles are limited to carriers like AC and BA. The redemption costs of a UA domestic flight are the same as UA save for the short haul specials UA now has (5,000-8,000). In addition, AC's Aeroplan allows me the option to make at least one stop over en-route, something which UA discontinued a while ago. In other words, I could book something like ORD > LAX / LAX > SFO / SFO > ORD for the same price as ORD <> LAX. Internationally, the stakes get really interesting with AC's program, as you're allowed 2 stopovers or a stopover and a open jaw. This allowed me to fly the following itinerary for 80K miles in Y: YYZ > DXB on AC, DXB > CAI on MS, CAI > ZRH (via GVA) on MS/LX, ZRH > YYZ (via EWR) on UA which again would of cost the same as booking simply YYZ > DXB roundtrip. Finally, there are some benefits you can sometimes get booking outside UA's program, most notably access to CPU upgrades on domestic award flights. For instance, last month I was flying LAX to DTW (via IAD) on an Aeroplan award and I got a CPU on the segment IAD > DTW. Granted, it was on a CRJ but still was nice to have FA greet me by name and offer me snacks from a basket.

Booking UA and *A award tickets outside the UA program, you can always have your UA frequent flyer number plugged in so you can access the benefits you have whilst travelling on the award ticket. For instance, after booking LAX > DTW on Aeroplan, I imported the award ticket into my MilagePlus profile and was immediately able to get my free E+ seating, along with putting my name on the CPU list for both segments. When I was at LAX, I was able to use the fabulous *A lounge at the Oscar Munõz UA Premier Elite terminal just by scanning my boarding pass.

Well, I can't comment on all *A partners since I only collect miles with UA and AC. Speaking for AC's Aeroplan program, they use a fixed award chart for their partners (like UA used to do) and so the only thing you could see from partners is Saver availability. AC does let you select any seat from their flights using Market Awards which are semi-linked to the ticket price but obviously aren't a great value compared to the saver offers. Also, AC's program isn't great if you plan on using your miles on flights with AC, LH and certain other *A partners since they charge a fuel surcharge (often several hundred dollars) to book the "award". Luckily for me, I primarily fly UA and occasionally, LX which don't have those fees imposed on them.

Safe Travels,

James

Aussienarelle Apr 28, 2019 3:34 pm

Well I thought this was going to be a thread on booking a UA metal flight with a Star Alliance ticket so you could access the UC on domestic flights. Was looking to see if that was possible as I will be moving away from 016 ticketing and thought that would be a great perk if it works since I am Star Alliance Gold but was not certain if it worked if my Gold Status is earned through UA. Still curious....think the title should make clearer it is talking about Saver awards.

WineCountryUA Apr 28, 2019 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 31046471)
Well I thought this was going to be a thread on booking a UA metal flight with a Star Alliance ticket so you could access the UC on domestic flights. Was looking to see if that was possible as I will be moving away from 016 ticketing and thought that would be a great perk if it works since I am Star Alliance Gold but was not certain if it worked if my Gold Status is earned through UA. ..

The use of UA status, not matter the ticket stock, does not provide for UC access on a domestic itin.
*G from non-UA carrier is eligible for UC admission.

But that issue is not what the OP is querying and so let's leave that for a different thread.

FlyerTalker70 Apr 28, 2019 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31046492)
The use of UA status, not matter the ticket stock, does not provide for UC access on a domestic itin.
*G from non-UA carrier is eligible for UC admission.

Although access to *A lounges other than UCs is available to all UA Gold (or above) travellers on any UA or *A itinerary (domestic or international, booked directly through MilagePlus or with another programme like Aeroplan). Here's a list I complied of such lounges in the US, UA *Gold elites can access.

To reiterate, when booking an award ticket on another *A FFP (i.e. Aeroplan), you always have the option of attaching your UA FF# to the ticket(s) to access your Premier benefits (i.e. lounge access, additional baggage, priority services). How you do that depends on the airline involved. With a UA booking booked on say Aeroplan, it's a matter adding the record locator as an existing flight to your MilagePlus profile. Other airlines like AC and LX IIRC may require either calling in to the airline to get that added or to add that information in during OLCI.

Safe Travels,

James

cfischer Apr 28, 2019 6:31 pm

M&M is a good use for domestic awards.

CruiserCLE Nov 28, 2020 10:05 am

Originally Posted by FlyerTalker70 (Post 31046517)
To reiterate, when booking an award ticket on another *A FFP (i.e. Aeroplan), you always have the option of attaching your UA FF# to the ticket(s) to access your Premier benefits (i.e. lounge access, additional baggage, priority services). How you do that depends on the airline involved. With a UA booking booked on say Aeroplan, it's a matter adding the record locator as an existing flight to your MilagePlus profile. Other airlines like AC and LX IIRC may require either calling in to the airline to get that added or to add that information in during OLCI.

I am about to book a UA intl itinerary using partner miles (AV/LifeMiles) for the first time due to a significant difference in the number of miles and the taxes charged. Can someone confirm (since I did not see anyone mention AV specifically) that all I need to do is call in after I book the ticket to change the number to my UA one? I did some googling and only saw one article that mentioned it is a pain to do directly with AV, but that UA should be flexible in changing it. Want to be certain as this involves a TATL segment and would like to ensure I have E+ and baggage benefits.

WineCountryUA Nov 28, 2020 11:36 am

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE (Post 32849272)
.... Can someone confirm (since I did not see anyone mention AV specifically) that all I need to do is call in after I book the ticket to change the number to my UA one? I did some googling and only saw one article that mentioned it is a pain to do directly with AV, but that UA should be flexible in changing it. ....

That varies by partner and as you found out it may be difficult with some partners. Since UA did not issue the ticket, UA should not be messing with the ticket although day of travel some agent may try to do it. This is an issue for the AV forum

CruiserCLE Nov 28, 2020 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32849423)
That varies by partner and as you found out it may be difficult with some partners. Since UA did not issue the ticket, UA should not be messing with the ticket although day of travel some agent may try to do it. This is an issue for the AV forum

Right - I guess I was more curious if the option to edit your number once you import the reservation to UA.com is always available or if that is an unintended “feature” that might not always work. I’m try to avoid transferring the miles to AV only to find out this won’t work and I should just stick with the ticket booked via UA.

WineCountryUA Nov 28, 2020 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE (Post 32849504)
Right - I guess I was more curious if the option to edit your number once you import the reservation to UA.com is always available or if that is an unintended “feature” that might not always work. ....

Changing FF acounts online with UA has been gone for years
Ability to Change MP Number on UAL.COM Removed {Now back @ checkin???}
and you may find it hard to attached the reservation to your account without getting the FF acct changed.

However, while a year old, this may help (concerns AV)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...l#post31367108