Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will I keep my two C saver awards on UA 1 SFO-SIN?

Old Apr 27, 19, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond

Long story I'll try to condense.

I booked two C saver awards outbound on AC and LX through ZRH to SIN. It wasn't ideal but I'll take it.

Inbound UA HKG-ORD.

About three days or so later, I noticed the AC flights had vanished from my itinerary, but LX flight ZRH-SIN was still there. I called UA (got a great agent), who couldn't tell me what had happened but given the flights were back in award inventory, she rebooked it and ticket reissued.

About another three days or so later, AC flights again vanish. I called UA (got another great agent), who also could not say what happened, but asked if I would like to book the flights all on UA. Sure, but I wasn't sure how she would do that. A few minutes later we're booked in F to SFO and then in C on UA 1 SFO-SIN.

Now when I was looking for award flights to SIN, I never saw even one C seat on SFO-SIN in the about six week window I examined.

The flight is booked in I, so I presume she didn't grab standard award seats. About a week later the itinerary looks fine. No sure how she did this, but my big fear is we'll get to SFO and be told that the C seats were booked in error and we'll get pushed back into Y for the 17+ hour flight.

Thoughts?

TIA
Old Apr 27, 19, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Did she put you on hold for a bit? If yes, she was likely calling inventory management to get seats released for you since AC kept dropping you.
Dublin_rfk and sinoflyer like this.
Old Apr 27, 19, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAaronT View Post
Did she put you on hold for a bit? If yes, she was likely calling inventory management to get seats released for you since AC kept dropping you.
She did, but I would be surprised if IM released seats on this route for a nobody like me. I was a 1K for years (just sort of 1MM), but have had no status for a few years.
onthesam likes this.
Old Apr 27, 19, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Sounds like you were affected by the UA/AC ticket communication issues, where UA makes the reservation, but fouls up sending AC the eticket #, and AC after 3 days cancels the reservation as they don't believe it's been ticketed.

That may also be why UA was so willing to open up their own inventory to accommodate you.

As for the ticket sticking around, you should be fine. So long as the underlying eticket shows a business class award, whether the agent put you in I or ZN shouldn't matter IME. I have had that happen during irrops on my wife's award tickets several times, and have (yet) to have a problem actually flying.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 27, 19, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exerda View Post
Sounds like you were affected by the UA/AC ticket communication issues, where UA makes the reservation, but fouls up sending AC the eticket #, and AC after 3 days cancels the reservation as they don't believe it's been ticketed.

That may also be why UA was so willing to open up their own inventory to accommodate you.

As for the ticket sticking around, you should be fine. So long as the underlying eticket shows a business class award, whether the agent put you in I or ZN shouldn't matter IME. I have had that happen during irrops on my wife's award tickets several times, and have (yet) to have a problem actually flying.
Interesting. That sounds like the issue. Thanks for the link; it explains a lot.
Old Apr 28, 19, 2:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
You may want to consider attempting to credit this to a different UA partner. Not guaranteee, but Iíve gotten partner credit for flights after being in your exact situation before
Old Apr 28, 19, 3:08 am

Programs: UA Nothing (Former Gold), Global Entry
No status for me and this happened last year. Wouldn't worry about it.
Old Apr 28, 19, 6:43 am

If you have a ticket number (as you likely do) you'll be fine.
Old Apr 28, 19, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy View Post
She did, but I would be surprised if IM released seats on this route for a nobody like me. I was a 1K for years (just sort of 1MM), but have had no status for a few years.
If you are affected by a schedule change or other issue after having a confirmed ticket, UA will reroute you on its own metal in your confirmed class of service using positive space (last seat) availability. The system will usually "force" space in the needed class in order to do this. It is standard procedure so there is nothing to worry about.

Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings View Post
You may want to consider attempting to credit this to a different UA partner. Not guaranteee, but Iíve gotten partner credit for flights after being in your exact situation before
If the rbd is still I, then I don't think this will work.
Old Apr 28, 19, 11:40 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
All above is correct. United inventory management (in increasingly rare circumstances) has the ability to force open space. Now it is only done in extreme cases where the airline is at fault. You won't experience repercussions because the authorization to do something like this in the first place came from the very top. Front-line agents have far from the authorization to do this.
Old Apr 28, 19, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings View Post
What credit do you receive for award flights?
Old Apr 28, 19, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

I'll stop worrying about the flight vanishing.

However I will continue to worry about the 1:09 connect time.
Old Apr 28, 19, 1:13 pm

As long as there are no significant delays, an hour plus at SFO is plenty of time to get from a domestic gate to the international terminal. (All behind security and luggage transfer ALWAYS makes it somehow.)
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old May 5, 19, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
What credit do you receive for award flights?

If it was rebooked into a revenue class, and you credit it to a partner program, the partner program is likely none-the-wiser that it was a revenue ticket in the first place. Of course if you credit it to UA, they're system (I think) is sophisticated enough to detect the award status and credit you nothing.
Old May 6, 19, 2:40 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by gsalem94122 View Post
As long as there are no significant delays, an hour plus at SFO is plenty of time to get from a domestic gate to the international terminal. (All behind security and luggage transfer ALWAYS makes it somehow.)
Especially if you are in F on the first flight.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: