Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGA-CLE-EWR-China routing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:10 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I’m gonna guess that it’s a “sum of the locals” where the OP is buying a LGA-CLE priced segment an an additional CLE-BJS segment, where the two added is cheaper that a straight NYC-BJS.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastair
I’m gonna guess that it’s a “sum of the locals” where the OP is buying a LGA-CLE priced segment an an additional CLE-BJS segment, where the two added is cheaper that a straight NYC-BJS.
I would agree with that, except that NYC-BJS has a $150 RT base G fare that can be routed through CLE and EWR. So, my guess is that what's happening is that UA has zeroed the G inventory on EWR-PEK, but has opened it up on CLE-EWR-PEK, so LGA-CLE-EWR-PEK prices as a through G fare but EWR-PEK doesn't. If OP shares the travel dates in question (and if it's still happening), we can tell for sure.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
I would agree with that, except that NYC-BJS has a $150 RT base G fare that can be routed through CLE and EWR. So, my guess is that what's happening is that UA has zeroed the G inventory on EWR-PEK, but has opened it up on CLE-EWR-PEK, so LGA-CLE-EWR-PEK prices as a through G fare but EWR-PEK doesn't. If OP shares the travel dates in question (and if it's still happening), we can tell for sure.
Thank you! Your comment is super insightful to me and makes total sense. I learned something. The fare break in CLE just didn't seem likely to me (although I still agree it is possible). Your explanation seems more plausible. It's that married segment inventory nonsense.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by kchanbeki
Anyone has experience with connections that basically takes you no where? Will UA be willing to get rid of the LGA-EWR connections and let me fly from EWR?
If you have the time, and like flying, and want to save every $$ these kinds of itineraries are great.
But no, they won't let you drop any of these odd segments in order to fly non-stop.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
If you have the time, and like flying, and want to save every $$ these kinds of itineraries are great.
But no, they won't let you drop any of these odd segments in order to fly non-stop.
For sure! Don't drive over to EWR cutting out your wonderful trip to CLE and expect to get on the flight to PEK. If you miss ANY segment they will cancel out the rest of the itinerary with no recourse left to you at all.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
OP could try to SDC through ORD and cut out the extra stop and backtracking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.