Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Oscar Speaks! New Interview - 23 April 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:48 pm

Oscar Speaks! New Interview - 23 April 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
There's a thread on this already, but honestly it seems like the dumbest thing about that comment is how it cuts against the many flights I have had (often on UA!) where I board the aircraft stressed or angry at something unrelated to the airline (I was busy, I was late, TSA was being dumb, etc) and I kick back, drink my PDB, and can relax knowing everything is in the captain's hands from here on out. No reason the in-flight experience can't be the antidote to travel stress!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
. . . To the UA pilot that replied: I think we admire your devotion to the company but honestly this "we want to get you there safely" attitude is wearing ultra-thin with me. I expect that of United. You are not Kazakshtan Aeroflot Airlines, you are an airline in a very well regulated country with countless checks on aircraft and crew so I expect safety as a given . . .
Safety isn't a given, and I never take safety for granted. I deeply appreciate the pilots at United and other airlines that have kept me safe on 100% of my flights thus far.

I just started earning my private pilot license, and until now I had no idea how cognitively demanding it really is to fly safely. I may not be the smartest guy out there, but I did finish college before I was old enough to legally buy beer, and four graduate degrees later I now lead an organization with over 100 employees and an 8-figure budget. That said, learning to fly safely is one of the harder challenges I've experienced thus far.

So, thank you 757FO and every other pilot... many of us are well aware that safety comes from your knowledge, practice, and diligence. And thank you United for prioritizing safety, even if I don't always get a smile with my drink order (I would still like the smile too, for the record).

If they start tinkering with safety, that would certainly make me reconsider who I fly with.
nddomer04 and COSPILOT like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
I just started earning my private pilot license...
If you haven't already, come up front when you board on your next flight. Always happy to give cockpit tours to interested passengers (young and old).
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to say it seems to me that Oscar has some trouble communicating effectively in a consumer-facing context. At least as I can see it, in both this case and his response to the Dao incident, I could see some truth in what he was saying, but the way he's stated it leaves too much space for people to misunderstand his empathy for misanthropy.
Silver Fox and abaheti like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fumje
I have to say it seems to me that Oscar has some trouble communicating effectively in a consumer-facing context. At least as I can see it, in both this case and his response to the Dao incident, I could see some truth in what he was saying, but the way he's stated it leaves too much space for people to misunderstand his empathy for misanthropy.
He came from a commercial railroad background, not exactly the breeding ground for touchy-feely consumer communication skills.
artvandalay, milski and Silver Fox like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
He came from a commercial railroad background, not exactly the breeding ground for touchy-feely consumer communication skills.
Right, where the cargo isn't self loading and doesn't have feelings!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Oscar's comments make me think of the multiple occasions past when I had had a really bad day -- work, missed connection, family, whatever -- and actually looked forward to sneaking on to a UA plane and having a few hours to myself.

And where a friendly check in agent, gate agent, or flight attendant just had a few nice words, a smile, or some small kind gesture. "Hey, good to see you again!" "Wow, you're MM, thank you for your loyalty!" "Oh, wow, you had a bad day of flying, let me see how the upgrade list looks." "You look like you've had a long day, do you want a PDB or just to some peace and quiet?" "Wow, I'm so sorry we don't have anything vegetarian, let me see what I can do." Not to mention the FAs who helped me take care of my MIL with Alzheimer's, etc.

I could easily quote similar experiences with hotel lobby staff. One quick positive human interaction can actually turn my day around or at least shift my mood.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Well - despite his communication skills, background - and FT indignation - UAL stock is up since his interview, so he - and his team - ultimately won't really care or think about any backlash from his interview.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
This whole "well the stock up" reminds me of "I was only carrying out orders". It wears thin after a while and sometimes the means really does not justify the end.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Munoz, about (economy) seat sizes: "I think we are nearing a point certainly that we can't do that anymore,"

No kidding!

It is already way pass the point. I understand that people have a responsibility - that sole focus on price, price, price - but at some point airlines need to go to the govt and say "look, enough is enough. People are pissed all the time. Air rage is all around. And, yeah, these emergency exit times, well they are bogus. So, jump in and regulate minimum space per passenger."

(But when you do, make sure that ALL planes heading for the US need to obey the regulations.)

Until this happens - or, more dramatically, we see people die a horrible death being trapped in a 777 in flames somewhere - will the problem be solved.
DenverBrian and Silver Fox like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by skidooman
Munoz, about (economy) seat sizes: "I think we are nearing a point certainly that we can't do that anymore,"

No kidding!

Top management meeting in Willis Tower:

Munoz: "I think we are nearing a point certainly that we can't do that anymore."
Kirby responds: "You kiddin' me? Sure we can!!! Listen, I have a plan here which will allow even more profit: take ALL the seats out, and have passengers stand up during the flight. A 777 can easily fit 800+ pax. So, next week....."
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
And I will credit him for improving their on-time performance - I remember not too many years ago when IRROPs seemed to happen on half my flights. So the cargo is getting there on time. It's just the international business class food and beverage most of the time, and the service some of the time, is so poor compared to almost every other airline (except maybe AA). I mean, if BA can improve their food quality so much (years ago I considered them worse than UA; now they are one of the best TATL), why can't UA?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Sad to say. There was the pre Oscar right after the Smisek years..... and that Oscar after his heart attack episode. He just isn’t the same man anymore..... Kirby does have that effect on people
Silver Fox and manstein58 like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Sad to say. There was the pre Oscar right after the Smisek years..... and that Oscar after his heart attack episode. He just isn’t the same man anymore..... Kirby does have that effect on people
Only one problem
Munoz suffered a heart attack on October 15, 2015

Scott Kirby Named President of United Airlines - August 29, 2016
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:17 am

It would appear that the honeymoon phase is over. The relief of seeing Jeff go, and the sympathy accorded Oscar after his health issues, have run their course. Oscar is now judged by his words and actions. Unfortunately, neither have been stellar. Articulation and word play are most definitely not his forté. He has lost a fair amount of credibility, and this opinion is also echoed by UA employees with whom I have conversed. I really do sympathize with the man, and I would never wish to have a corporate position with any air carrier. After having gone through such a life threatening episode, I would have chosen to retire.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.