Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Oscar Speaks! New Interview - 23 April 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:48 pm

Oscar Speaks! New Interview - 23 April 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
"Oscar Speaks!"

Judging by comments in this thread, it might have been better if he didn't!
milski likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by rickg523
Crews make flights. What's the general sense here of UA crews?
Personally, I wish all of you were happier with the airline and the service it provides. Having said that, many of the posts I've read here, along with passenger interaction suggest we can never make anyone happy, regardless of what we do. I'm not sure how it got to that point, but at times I feel like our brand is irreparably damaged. I for one will continue to do the very best I can for all of you, and will always work hard to get you either home, to work, or on vacation safely. I do know many of us feel the same way.
SFO 1K, bocastephen, uanj and 16 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by 757FO
Having said that, many of the posts I've read here, along with passenger interaction suggest we can never make anyone happy, regardless of what we do.
So I don't think that's quite the right take away here. I think much of what is in this thread -- indeed on the UA forum -- is more appropriately construed as meaning that UA can never make everyone happy ... particularly not all of the time. And, indeed, that's more a statement of human nature; some people will never be happy no matter how much is done for them.

I think that the comments above about the phrasing of Oscar's statements are correct; the message should be that UA is trying to improve everything that's within the airline's power to improve (well, at least reasonably so because, as Oscar also points out, there are distinct elements of the system that have conflicting interests). That message would, I think, resonate much better than what was actually said.

I, for one, have been made happy onboard United fairly often ... in fact, more often than not. Sure, I have had some negative interactions. But if my overall experience wasn't still positive, I wouldn't remain so loyal to United. (Well, that and the fact that I am just over 99% of the way towards 1MM status; so I feel as though my efforts there represent a vested interest. )
dinoscool3 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:34 pm

throw in deregulation & mergers & the general decline in manners in society & here we are.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by entropy
Actually, I don't think getting To or THRU the airport is that bad. Maybe in dumps like EWR,...

More like yeah, you get thru security, and rather than a relaxing lounge visit, you're hunting for a free seat for 15 minutes, before waiting in line for 5 minutes for a frat-bar quality drink. When you're onboard, rather than a warm welcome and a PDB, the FA gate checks your bag since they've stored their bags in the row 1-2 overheads and let coach passengers use the rest, you sit in barely padded slimline seats even in F, and instead of a meal, they (may) give you some slop that's worse than a lean cuisine.

I for one enjoy my welcome gin and tonic, the hot towel, and a civilized meal, in a comfy seat (like the soft, cloth ones united used to have). That's no so much to ask for.
The lounge is crowded because everyone stays there for hours and hours, yapping it away and have no regard for other human beings. Thank god there are no UA lounges part of the membership club like PP; imagine what kind of zoo that would be like?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I managed to dig up the video and watch the 3 minute GMA segment. Here are the highlights from it:
  • Host's criticism of modern air travel:
  • Munoz argues that it's the people and tools they give them that make all the difference at the same time it's less about price discounts and more about the experience and service
  • Munoz message to customers is sharing is caring and to use the various vehicles UA makes available to let them know what you think
  • Munoz closes the interview by saying : There's no good deed that goes unpunished because if you take care of your employees investors will want to know why you're lagging, if you do too much for your customers everyone matches you, you end up doing more ; it's important that you do deliver the financial benefits to your investors because they're a big part of your world.
Based on these points it seems like we are in store for more of the same, enhancements to service to make our experience even better and fewer ways to express our disdain for the level of service we're receiving

-James
1. Sharing is caring? Our perception is that we share, United doesn't care - and maybe Kirby sits in his office, cackling like Emperor Palpatine, while reading a precis of the day's complaints

2. No good deed goes unpunished? Most CEOs who are strong leaders in the service business focus on employees and customers and not on investors. I've previously given the example of Herb Kelleher, Frank Stronach and others who built super-profitable companies by using their business acumen and laser focus on service delivery, top quality products, employees and customers - and telling investors and analysts who want to see things run differently, to basically go to hell (well at least Stronach used that phrase, Herb was nicer)

3. if you do too much for your customers everyone matches you? So what? Is that an excuse to not do anything? No one is saying you need to constantly enhance your product to the point it's like flying the Four Seasons Jet - but Oscar should remember his predecessor's mantra about "normalizing to the industry" as jargon-gibberish to explain why everything was being cut to match Spirit. Also, Oscar should note that his president Kirby likes to match all of Delta's anti-customer decisions, but never matches any of their service and product enhancements....so in fact, they are not even trying, and this is a lame, empty excuse.

Since the advent of pre-check, and my discovery of SNA as a useful alternative to LAX, I actually arrive at the airport happy, refreshed and cheerful - which lasts until I step on board my United flight and need to sit on a tiny, narrow, rock hard seat, wondering if the Wifi will work this time, why my upgrade was sold out from under me to some kettle off the street for $50, and wondering whether or not the FA will greet me with a smile when I ask for the free snack box I still get as a 1K (probably because Kirby doesn't realize I get a free snack box as a 1K, so he didn't end that amenity yet), or give me a derisive, sarcastic sneer.....then, because my inbound flight was late from SFO, as they all are, I can work off the calories from the snack box as a I run screaming through the terminal to my connecting flight.

So, dear Oscar, I start the day pretty good, but by the time your company is finished with me, you're right, I am fairly pissed at the world.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
His reign is no different from anyone's in the past. Like them, he started out great with all those promises and commitment. But then it went down the drain as much as Smisek et al.
BearX220, milski and Silver Fox like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 757FO
Personally, I wish all of you were happier with the airline and the service it provides. Having said that, many of the posts I've read here, along with passenger interaction suggest we can never make anyone happy, regardless of what we do. I'm not sure how it got to that point, but at times I feel like our brand is irreparably damaged. I for one will continue to do the very best I can for all of you, and will always work hard to get you either home, to work, or on vacation safely. I do know many of us feel the same way.
I very much appreciate getting to my destination safely and for sure the flight crew up front gets a ton of credit from me. I fly other airlines a lot abroad and even though they are also "all business" to get their aircrafts from one place to another quickly and safely, their flight attendants are without a doubt much, much, much friendlier. They look you in the eye when they ask for your beverage order, and then again when they hand it to you smiling. This is a rare occurrence on United so I make sure to give those FA compliments when it happens.

If United stopped devaluations right here, and then got 90% of their flight attendants to give the same level of friendly, smiling, and ultra-polite service, I would not have much to complain about (except the WiFi).
halls120, milski and ATLintheair like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1k, 2.3MM Flyer, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
This is an awesomely perfect description of the sad environment in which modern air travel (but thruthfully so many things) exists. The ridiculous pandering to investors who care zero about the company, (or the customers or the employees). The race to the bottom that is the end result of the oligopoly we environment we live in and the absolute refusal of UA to make anything better, to provide anything that resembles an improvement in service, the march to take benefits away and give nothing in return (but expect loyalty from their customers). I say this often and I'll say it again. There is no business in America that hates its customers the way the airline business does. And everything Oscar says here reinforces that sentiment.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
1. Sharing is caring? Our perception is that we share, United doesn't care - and maybe Kirby sits in his office, cackling like Emperor Palpatine, while reading a precis of the day's complaints

2. No good deed goes unpunished? Most CEOs who are strong leaders in the service business focus on employees and customers and not on investors. I've previously given the example of Herb Kelleher, Frank Stronach and others who built super-profitable companies by using their business acumen and laser focus on service delivery, top quality products, employees and customers - and telling investors and analysts who want to see things run differently, to basically go to hell (well at least Stronach used that phrase, Herb was nicer)

3. if you do too much for your customers everyone matches you? So what? Is that an excuse to not do anything? No one is saying you need to constantly enhance your product to the point it's like flying the Four Seasons Jet - but Oscar should remember his predecessor's mantra about "normalizing to the industry" as jargon-gibberish to explain why everything was being cut to match Spirit. Also, Oscar should note that his president Kirby likes to match all of Delta's anti-customer decisions, but never matches any of their service and product enhancements....so in fact, they are not even trying, and this is a lame, empty excuse.

Since the advent of pre-check, and my discovery of SNA as a useful alternative to LAX, I actually arrive at the airport happy, refreshed and cheerful - which lasts until I step on board my United flight and need to sit on a tiny, narrow, rock hard seat, wondering if the Wifi will work this time, why my upgrade was sold out from under me to some kettle off the street for $50, and wondering whether or not the FA will greet me with a smile when I ask for the free snack box I still get as a 1K (probably because Kirby doesn't realize I get a free snack box as a 1K, so he didn't end that amenity yet), or give me a derisive, sarcastic sneer.....then, because my inbound flight was late from SFO, as they all are, I can work off the calories from the snack box as a I run screaming through the terminal to my connecting flight.

So, dear Oscar, I start the day pretty good, but by the time your company is finished with me, you're right, I am fairly pissed at the world.
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
His reign is no different from anyone's in the past. Like them, he started out great with all those promises and commitment. But then it went down the drain as much as Smisek et al.
Silver Fox and ATLintheair like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:40 pm

Never saw the appeal to Oscar. To me, he’s Jeff but can fake empathy a lot better and likes better coffee. He’s for the most part continued down the road Smisek drove.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by UAL757222
Never saw the appeal to Oscar. To me, he’s Jeff but can fake empathy a lot better and likes better coffee. He’s for the most part continued down the road Smisek drove.
Like many here, I've given Oscar the benefit of the doubt - at the beginning I think he really tried hard, and was focused on building a better airline - then he hired Kirby and pretty much vanished from the radar and day to day operations and products that customers notice....except of course to pop up with that all too helpful "denada".

He seems to be more of a figurehead now than a day-to-day leader and strategist.
squeakr, Silver Fox and twomonger like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:19 pm

Like many here, I've given Oscar the benefit of the doubt - at the beginning I think he really tried hard, and was focused on building a better airline - then he hired Kirby and pretty much vanished from the radar and day to day operations and products that customers notice....except of course to pop up with that all too helpful "denada".

He seems to be more of a figurehead now than a day-to-day leader and strategist.
"denada" beats "changes you will like"
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UAL757222
Never saw the appeal to Oscar. To me, he’s Jeff but can fake empathy a lot better and likes better coffee.
He actually isn’t a coffee drinker. A Tidbit that came out when they announced they would switch coffee suppliers.

Again the small touches can really make a positive impression. Nice coffee, stroopwaffel, those Saks bedding items.

As to running costs to lowest common denominator and trashing MP, guilty. A couple of reversals would be huge. Smisek was not only a disaster (and criminal) but the arrogance and unwillingness to learn with new data was fatal.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
"Munoz recognizes the changing culture of air travel -- an experience that for many transformed from an exciting experience to a painstaking one. He hopes that will change soon."
Why do I keep reading that quote as if it were a justification and prelude for more a la carte pricing to come?

"Munoz recognizes the charging culture of air travel -- an experience that for many transformed ... He hopes that will charge soon."
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet

<snipped for brevity>

Pretty much sums it up. If 10 across is caring, if narrower seats is caring, if the scrum that is boarding (I am so glad I am 1K) is caring, and grumpy FAs is caring then rock on Oscar. To the UA pilot that replied: I think we admire your devotion to the company but honestly this "we want to get you there safely" attitude is wearing ultra-thin with me. I expect that of United. You are not Kazakshtan Aeroflot Airlines, you are an airline in a very well regulated country with countless checks on aircraft and crew so I expect safety as a given. Nothing else. At the end of the day Oscar doesn't care. Anyone that thinks otherwise is barking at the moon. The scraps that we have been tossed do not make up for the massive disappointment in so many other aspects. Caring? Don't make me laugh.
milski and Billygreg like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 24, 2019 at 1:19 am Reason: Vulgarity is unneeded and not premitted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.