Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Air China economy advance seat selection when using miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:39 am
Original Poster

I was wondering if anyone has used United miles to redeem for Air China economy seats for domestic routes and were able to select seats in advance?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I booked some award tickets in China and took advantage of the excursionist perk for the free one way within China. I was able to call air China and get my seats assigned
Absolute likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:44 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
As @Chukiechz mentioned, the only way to select seats with CA is to call them. Unless it's booked on their site directly, seat selection (and anything other than validating your ticket.... and not in English) is not allowed for booking made through UA revenue, UA awards, Expedia, BudgetAir, Kayak, etc. - anyone other than making a direct AirChina.<whatever> booking.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
You're going to have to call in, if you have the patience. Their website is garbage.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
The call in system is also garbage.
In October, I flew SFO-PEK on their 747-8i, and also couldn't book a seat.
I called THREE times, and waited on hold for over an hour each time, and they STILL couldn't handle it. I was actually told a different story each time I called. First call said "no seat available; this flight all full". Second call said "I've selected seat 159Z for you." Third call said "We do not assign seats in economy class over the phone."
They did actually reserve me a seat at one point- a window in one of the very last rows (but not so far back as to be in the coveted 2-seat sets).
At check in, I was able to move to a window seat further forward, and actually ended up in a fantastic seat. Last row of zone 4, so seat 47A which had FULL recline in spite of what seatguru tells you.
And I also discovered that, once in the air, Air China is really a pretty great ride. Seat pitch was good, cushion thickness was great, PTV was good, food was good, etc.

But no, I invested way too much time trying to get a seat assignment. The operators for the USA number are clearly selected based on their ability to speak Mandarin.... NOT English. Communicating with them was challenging. YMMV.
So, best of luck to you on that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.