UA Agent Charged with Disorderly Conduct

Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by spin88
“We have withheld the employee from service since the night of the incident pending an internal investigation.
Is it just me, or does this sound alot like the "I apologize for having to re-accommodate these customers" from United for David Dao? Not trying to equate them, but just had to laugh at that language.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:13 pm

As to the bag issue, at IAH the RJ center you get off on the tarmac, and then walk over to the (air conditioned) walk-way... I have looked around, which is what this woman appears to have been doing.
I came across that (there is a CR7 that does DTW-IAH) - but being on the tarmac deplaning doesn't get you called out to come into the terminal - bad or good agent.

Something went south before the passenger got to the podium.

It doesn't change use of the language, but it appears it wasn't a situation where 'irate but otherwise abiding customer came up to podium and stressed agent flipped out.' Sounds like the passenger defied boundaries before getting into the terminal.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by onthesam
OT but actually, Chicago Department of Aviation Police (Aviation Police) were required to be trained by the Chicago Police Academy or the Cook County Sheriff’s Training Academy and sworn in as law enforcement officers by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board. They didn't carry weapons but otherwise had full police powers. It's always amazed me that the city was pretty much successful in getting away from the 'police brutality' tag by characterizing the Aviation Police as security.

Following Dao, the City saught to bury/reverse this practice and strip police powers, presumably in an effort to shield the political forces (who were catching hell due to a variety of CPD excessive force incidents and torture and alleged murders) from further scrutiny.

On topic

This would seem to indicate that UA is pursuing termination and is not really interested in investigating.
That sounds likely. Interesting the interpretation of who security worked for. I know there was a lot of finger pointing at the the Airport Authority, United, and the city government.

Last edited by Walter B Kasmer; Apr 25, 2019 at 6:19 am
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa

You’re assuming the GA said what she’s accused of saying. None of the police were there to hear it. They issued the citation based on the witnesses’ testimony (which frankly amazes me - the only basis was some people said she did it?).

Yes ... witness testimony is the basis for lots of criminal cases. back in the day, people didn't have smartphones out everywhere
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Yes ... witness testimony is the basis for lots of criminal cases. back in the day, people didn't have smartphones out everywhere
Probably is the basis for 95% of criminal prosecutions. Almost all offenses are someone seeing/hearing something. The articles all say "several" witnesses - meaning more than two - confirm the victim's (using the criminal term) account. It is highly, highly unlikely that the police arrest on a "he said, she said" situation, so it really comes down to "do you believe the United Airline employee, or several witnesses." I, and the police appear to be going with several (at least two) witnesses accounts. YMMV.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
I have no doubt that there are 2 sides to this story and that the race card drawing pax had been pulling some weird act before things escalated.

But, in this day and age, you just cannot, under any circumstance whatsoever, utter the word "monkey" at someone. No matter your lack of racial intentions, you have to be naive to ignore that it is used by many an idiot as a racist jab. And so, as the world around us change, it is not the innocent expression used in our childhood anymore.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Probably is the basis for 95% of criminal prosecutions. Almost all offenses are someone seeing/hearing something. The articles all say "several" witnesses - meaning more than two - confirm the victim's (using the criminal term) account. It is highly, highly unlikely that the police arrest on a "he said, she said" situation, so it really comes down to "do you believe the United Airline employee, or several witnesses." I, and the police appear to be going with several (at least two) witnesses accounts. YMMV.
And with multiple witnesses, competent investigators arriving at the scene immediately separate them and question them separately. When their descriptions of events are consistent, it becomes much more likely that their reports are true.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA GS
That woman must have had an agenda too. I wouldn’t call the police for what ever I get called.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
That woman must have had an agenda too. I wouldn’t call the police for what ever I get called.
Most folks who say that tend not to be in groups that constantly hear or receive racist or sexist slights and attacks. When it happens day in and day out, you tend to have a strong view that its not acceptable, and today more and more young people are not willing to just stand by and take it. <rant off>

Several witnesses, as was just suggested doubtlessly interviewed separately and checked to make sure they are not connected to the victim, and a criminal charge. What was said was not a game of paddy cake.
wrp96 and chavala like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
I wouldn’t call the police for what ever I get called.
When it happens day in and day out, you tend to have a strong view that its not acceptable, and today more and more young people are not willing to just stand by and take it.
In that case we will need a LOT more police...
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by narvik
In that case we will need a LOT more police...
Or a LOT less racists...
spin88, m.y, narvik and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hughes had gotten off the plane to see whether bags were being unloaded onto the tarmac after her flight to George Bush Intercontinental Airport when Davano started yelling at her to come back inside, Smith said.
Seems like the PAX was being disorderly and doing something out of the norm? Maybe she thought she was hot .... since she's an actor and all and thinks she can just go on the tarmac.

Davano told officers that she did tell Hughes to "stop making monkey shines," but she denied telling her to "stop making monkey faces,"
"Monkey Shines" is disorderly conduct. I'm assuming the UA employee told her to stop doing disorderly things and she heard the word "monkey" and became triggered.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Or a LOT less racists...
Ha! How true!
^
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:40 am

I am confused about something with regards to this thread/case. Why are we talking about something that happened 2 months ago that was printed in a UK newspaper a couple days ago?

If there is anyone who lives in Houston, please let us know if this story was in the media in February. It seems to me we have a private dispute between two people, one of them working for UA, who had a serious communication problem. One thing leads to another, and now a UK newspaper gets another chance for a bunch of clicks on their site while making the US and UA look like a bunch of racists/Nazi types. And in the end nobody cares other than the offended person and the UA employee who will get fired, fined, and get a criminal record for the rest of their life because of it.

Nobody wins in this, whether it's the victim or the employee.

Last edited by jkumpire; Apr 26, 2019 at 9:44 am Reason: hit enter key too soon.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa

You’re assuming the GA said what she’s accused of saying. None of the police were there to hear it. They issued the citation based on the witnesses’ testimony (which frankly amazes me - the only basis was some people said she did it?).

I tend to side with the GA. “Monkey shining” I’ve said myself, although only to or about children.

”Shining monkey”? Really?? I find it far easier to believe that the accuser and witnesses misunderstood the GA.
Even if the FA did "call" the passenger a monkey, how is this a crime?

I would not want that employee representing my company, but I don't believe it is criminal.
iluv2fly and Plane-is-home like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.