Early arrival - gate is occupied

Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
I am not sure why but US airports have always have had a reluctance to set up hard stands like the rest of the world. Hard stands are no ones favorite but beat waiting for a gate to open.
This.

In nearly every major airport around the world, they make good use of remote stands. During the busiest times, aircraft can park and disembark pax using shuttle buses. This works for domestic and for international arrivals, and it's a smooth and logical solution to the ups and downs of gate demand through the day - it's surge capacity.

But if these US hub airports we're talking about used remote stands like this, then we would hear endless whinging about "why can't XXX airport use more regular gates with jet bridges. I don't want to have to ride a bus."
IAD_flyer likes this.

Last edited by Boofer; Apr 22, 2019 at 1:24 pm Reason: clairty
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
UAX at ORD is the worst for this in my experience.

It is especially infuriating when the flight is already arriving late, and you are pushing the limits on making a connection.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:01 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Boofer
But if these US hub airports we're talking about used remote stands like this, then we would hear endless whinging about "why can't XXX airport use more regular gates with jet bridges. I don't want to have to ride a bus."
Not endless whinging. Simply affirming that jetbridges are a much superior system for many more reasons than can be adduced to attempt to justify the European practice of remote stands. US airports rule, yeah!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
You never should have a lengthy gate wait at a hub airport they should be changing the gate. Operations people need to be monitoring this.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Not just a UA issue, happens with every airline in this country. My latest we landed on time in MCO on WN and had to wait an extra 25 minutes for "our gate" to open up, even though there were 3-4 empty gates at the WN airside. Just barely made my ground transportation.

I don't care about the few people whining, airports in this country need bus/remote gates. Taking a few extra minutes to deplane via stairs and jump on a bus sure beats waiting on the tarmac for half an hour staring at empty gates.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Originally Posted by 1P
Not endless whinging. Simply affirming that jetbridges are a much superior system for many more reasons than can be adduced to attempt to justify the European practice of remote stands. US airports rule, yeah!
I didn't intend to pick on you :-) But it's not just Europe. Remote stands are used all over Asia and Oceania. It's akin to having flexible capacity vs. having built capacity, and it's quite efficient. And whilst we're on the topic, let's talk about boarding/deplaning using both the front boarding door and the rear stairs simultaneously!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:22 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
My issue is when the pilot gives everyone a huge pat on the back for arriving early, followed by a statement that there's no gate available, and we're actually going to deplane a "few minutes behind schedule." Let's keep the congratulations to a minimum until the boarding door actually opens. (I get that that "on time" is calculated differently for different things)
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Jet bridges are for your safety! I'm not talking about slips and falls. I'm talking about (mostly elderly female) Chinese tourists! They can't afford to throw Renminbi notes into engines as they walk by!
EmailKid likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Boofer
This.

In nearly every major airport around the world, they make good use of remote stands. During the busiest times, aircraft can park and disembark pax using shuttle buses. This works for domestic and for international arrivals, and it's a smooth and logical solution to the ups and downs of gate demand through the day - it's surge capacity.

SEA uses buses, at least from Int'l arrivals

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Jet bridges are for your safety! I'm not talking about slips and falls. I'm talking about (mostly elderly female) Chinese tourists! They can't afford to throw Renminbi notes into engines as they walk by!
Um, it's not the notes I'd be worried about. IIRC the incident with CA involved coins, that's another ball of wax, so to speak

Last I read, she was charged, don't know any more after that.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by CO DCA
My issue is when the pilot gives everyone a huge pat on the back for arriving early, followed by a statement that there's no gate available, and we're actually going to deplane a "few minutes behind schedule." Let's keep the congratulations to a minimum until the boarding door actually opens. (I get that that "on time" is calculated differently for different things)
arriveing early is meaningless if there is no gate.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Heck, even if we were still in the air I could be productive with my laptop, etc. vs sitting in the penalty box strapped in to seats with everything stowed because we may move at any second.
And it's even worse on a 787 where you have a difficult time just using your phone.

Do 787 LCD windows reduce cell phone reception?

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
My thoughts:
4. What's never okay is when the plane arrives at the gate and there's no sign of the jet bridge driver.
I'd include the marshallers in this as well.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
SEA uses buses, at least from Int'l arrivals
Azul A330 at FLL pulls up to a "domestic" departure gate with a jet bridge, but then you deplane onto a bus to take you over to the immigration hall at international arrivals. That's the worst of all - hogging a jet bridge gate but still having to use the bus!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by econ
And it's even worse on a 787 where you have a difficult time just using your phone.

Do 787 LCD windows reduce cell phone reception?

I'd include the marshallers in this as well.
We pulled into EWR a month or two ago, terminal A, around 11 pm. 2 hr delay. Gate was empty, took about 10 minutes to reel us in. Then stood on the jet bridge for an easy 30 minutes. Lots of complaining, and ground staff finally come up and tell us to get our bags at baggage claim. The two guys sitting in a truck adjacent to the plane were on break for another 20 minutes and it would be easier for the general baggage claim to process the gate checks.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by freshairborne

I will always make a PA announcement if I will not be able to taxi right into the gate. Nobody wants to be delayed in parking, but Ive never been told that nobody wants to be told whats going on if its out of the ordinary.

Ive had many delays of this and every other kind, but every passenger that says anything always thanks me for keeping them informed, whether its good news or bad.

This, stolen from my buddy at SWA: Dont forget to tell your friends that we got you here early, because we know you tell them when we get you here late.

FAB
I appreciate information and humor. I like to know when our wheels up time is if we're sitting on the tarmac, why we aren't moving, before we start making big circles in the air halfway to our destination, etc. I understand sometimes passenger information is secondary to situations needing attention up front, but I don't love the "you may have noticed...". Being informed allows us all to amortize our stress.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by wxguy
Best line ever from the Captain: "Welcome to Newark. Our gate is occupied. So we'll circle the block looking for a parking spot, like any good New Yorker."
Best line ever from a seat mate after taxiing around EWR for more than 20 minutes: "I sure hope the pilot doesn't have the meter running on this taxi or we'll all be broke!"
wxguy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.