Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early arrival - gate is occupied

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
With completion of T7 re-model, Polaris lounge (gate space was used for construction staging), and re-opening/re-configuration of some 70s and 80s gates, I’m finding the LAX wait issue is much diminished.
Happened to me last week at LAX. Had to wait for about 20 minutes before we could get a gate at T7.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:34 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Unfortunately, at LAX all airlines ( that own gates ) should be forced to have remote stand equipments ( buses with drivers, stairs, mobile elevators for disabled people, mobile ground power source etc... at an empty apron ), this would be the only solution. This is how British Airways deals at LHR and Lufthansa deals at FRA & MUC.
And that is precisely why those airports are such a PITA to use. If US airports can run efficiently with jetbridged gates, there's no reason why LHR, FRA and MUC can't do the same. It's sheer laziness. The remote stands allow the European airports to be lax about scheduling.

A recent thread on the BA forum asked why gates were never assigned more than one hour in advance, making for uncomfortable dashes to the gate, especially if it's at the other end of the terminal from the lounge. The answer is the same: sheer idleness on the part of the schedulers. They claim it allows greater flexibility in the use of gates, but the real reason is that it means they have less scheduling work to do because everything happens on the fly. If US airports can assign a gate as much as 4 hours ahead, there's no reason why BA can't do the same. The downside of this is the occasional wait for a gate to become free that this thread is about.

I personally much prefer sitting in a plane for an extra 15-20 minutes and have the comfort of exiting on a jetbridge to having to descend rickety steps, be crammed into a bus with lively suspension and gut-wrenching brakes, and having to climb up again at the other end of the bus ride.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
My thoughts:
1. There are several times while taxiing that I've overheard someone calling his car service to let them know he arrived - only to have us wait at the gate.
2. Reluctantly agree with those that say if we arrive early, then wait for another plane to depart our gate, and then still arrive at the gate at the published arrival time, that's okay.
3. A remote stand arrival should only be used when it's the only way to get passengers into the terminal by the published arrival time and even then only when expecting a long delay past that point. At an airport with GS gate-to-gate car service, have all available cars help as well.
4. What's never okay is when the plane arrives at the gate and there's no sign of the jet bridge driver. What's wrong with UA's systems that a GA has to walk over to the window to see if a flight has arrived? I have gone over to the GA myself several times to point out that the incoming flight is sitting at the gate when they were doing something on their computer terminal and there was clearly no pop-up or other reminder.
5. (wish list - not really related to this thread) - on the flight status on the app or website once an arrival gate is assigned ahead of departure, I wish it would show the disembarkation door (1L, 2L, both). At times when getting off the plane quickly is important and you have a choice of seats near each door, it would be helpful to know.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
Happens to about 60% of UAX flights in A terminal at EWR. Often the gates are actually open, but the ground crew isn't there (don't get me started on how long they take at EWR for gate checked bags....average of about 20 minutes). I'd say maybe 15-20% at C.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist,
For some reason this has been happening much more frequently for me not for early arrivals but for on time arrivals at DCA. Twice in the last two months we waited over 1 hour for a gate. My wife kept texting me because the app showed we had arrived and she was waiting for me outside. Many other times it was 15-30 minute wait.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:26 am
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
And all this time we are burning fuel and paying crew.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Not unique to UA. Try flying American and arriving at Philly!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Do the SFO LAX//SNA route weekly. It’s either early and waiting for a gate or late and waiting for a gate to open.

Last night LAX-SFO got in at 8:07 though (10 min early!) and got an open gate.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
4. What's never okay is when the plane arrives at the gate and there's no sign of the jet bridge driver. What's wrong with UA's systems that a GA has to walk over to the window to see if a flight has arrived? I have gone over to the GA myself several times to point out that the incoming flight is sitting at the gate when they were doing something on their computer terminal and there was clearly no pop-up or other reminder.
THIS! Arriving early and no gate available, c'est la vie. Gates are scarce. Arriving at the gate, especially if on time or late, and no GA available to position the jet bridge and open the door, is what sends me around the bend. But this is a problem that is endemic to U.S. businesses. They hire at the lowest wage possible and staff at the lowest level possible. The cost of this is that they have a labor force that is challenged to perform time-sensitive operations efficiently. Indeed, I think this is one reason why we don't commonly have remote bus stands in the U.S. The choreography that you need with bus drivers as to scheduling and not driving the bus into a plane, etc.. to prevent the operation from becoming a CF is beyond what can be expected of U.S. bus drivers. In contrast, in Germany or Japan that driver will be highly trained and skilled, and paid a living wage so that more precision can be expected from him/her.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
Living in a Texas outstation, I either fly UA through IAH or AA through DFW. One thing I love about flying through IAH is that I almost never have to wait for a gate. I can only recall a couple of times, and it was usually when IAH was having a weather event.

AA at DFW on the other hand is totally ridiculous with this problem. I would say 4 out of 5 times after landing you hear the "well, folks..." announcement. And it's always because of something so stupid, like last time -- "well, folks, there's an unoccupied pick-up truck blocking our gate, so we have to wait for it to move." The most infuriating thing was there were several other open gates in plain view. AA has a real problem with this at DFW, and it has caused me to miss a connection before.

As the pilot upthread mentioned, I would much rather have the plane slow down in flight if they are expected to arrive too early for a gate. At least then you can still use the restroom, and I prefer it mentally because it's not like you're sitting there a few dozen feet from the goal just waiting for someone to move a pickup or something
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Starwood Platinum
Last flight NRT-EWR...arrived 1 hour early. Pilot came on early in the fligth and said I'm calling Operations in EWR now so we have a gate. Got to EWR...had a Gate but TSA parked their trucks too close to allow the 777-300ER to actually use the gate. Waited 45 minutes literally 50 feet from the gate till coffee break was over and somebody moved the trucks. Welcome to Newark.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Slouchman
Last flight NRT-EWR...arrived 1 hour early. Pilot came on early in the fligth and said I'm calling Operations in EWR now so we have a gate.
I give kudos to the pilots' announcements when they have an estimated early arrival into EWR.
Most of the times when this occurs, they offer something like this: "We expect to land about xx minutes early into Newark, and we hope we will have an open gate available so we can have an early arrival."

Last edited by narvik; Apr 22, 2019 at 10:25 am
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Few weeks ago I had an early morning BUR-SFO mainline, once in the air, estimated to land 0802 and app showed est gate 0808. Once landed at 0804 and switched to LTE data, ETA became 0835. Turned out our gate's ETD was 0830. It wasn't until 0847 or something that we got into gate. So now at least the app tells you upon landing that there's no gate, instead of baffling your driver/greeter, you know the plane is taxiing to the holding stand as soon as you land, and they actually turn off the seat belt sign.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
How often does this happen to folks who fly UA? I find that this seems to happen a fair amount at EWR, and it’s really annoying to deal with. It comes to mind as I’ve been sitting on the ground after having landed on PEK-EWR for almost half an hour now - and our gate arrival is now going to be after the stated arrival time, despite landing plenty early.

I’ve noticed this tends to happen a bit at SFO as well, and rarely have encountered this issue at other UA hubs.
Yes, except for cheap real estate and many unused gates at IAH and maybe DEN and IAD, all other UA hubs are in high rent districts. The ORD expansion plan has been going on for what 20 years, and finally some ~40 gates will be added over the next 7 years. Until then, there will be gate shortages at EWR, ORD, LAX and SFO.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
No doubt many of the airport hubs could use additional gates, but this is also a consequence of the "re-banking" that United has been talking about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.