Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2019 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The value of Platinum status over Gold status is generally a "YMMV" situation. Different people will value different benefits in different ways. Here are the most commonly cited differences that people mention:
  • 2 RPUs (none for Gold), for 2020 it will be 40 Plus Points (good for 2 North American or 1 previous GPU-equivalent W-fare upgrade)
  • Improved chances at CPUs through higher priority
  • 8 companions in E+ on the same itinerary vs. 1 companion
  • 3x 70 lb. bags on UA instead of 2x, although plats and golds have exact same additional bag allowance provided to *G on other Star Alliance carriers
  • Greater RDM earning rate (9x instead of 8x base fare)
  • Free award reservation changes, cancellations, miles redeposits if 61 days or more before departure, otherwise $50
  • Somewhat improved premium cabin award space availability (unclear how the change to dynamic awards post Nov 2019 will impact this)
  • Five drink chits
  • Presidential Circle status with Hertz

Plat is the highest level still eligible for Chase MP-branded credit card spend waiver of PQD requirements and also the highest elite elite achievable using FlexPQMs .

A list of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"

UA/Star Alliance: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2019 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by zimkadpatel
Is it worth to spend additional $1500 in PQD and 12,000 in PQM to make platinum by the end of the year or stay at gold?

if mileage run is worth it then which routes would get me 12000 PQM from SFO?
I'd rather stick the money on black. Or red. And pray for no 0, 00, 000! But joking aside I cannot see any point. Gold is fine. I'll plummet to lifetime Gold after 2020 and mileage run nonsense does not figure in my horizon. I am not far away from lifetime platinum - but I cannot be bothered with that even.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I'd rather stick the money on black. Or red. And pray for no 0, 00, 000! But joking aside I cannot see any point. Gold is fine. I'll plummet to lifetime Gold after 2020 and mileage run nonsense does not figure in my horizon. I am not far away from lifetime platinum - but I cannot be bothered with that even.
How close are you to 2,000,000 miles? I’m chasing it!
tstauck likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I decided to book a one-day HKG turn in economy plus for $560 to push me over to Platinum. A work trip was putting me almost halfway to the additional 25K miles from Gold so went for it since the Chase CC waiver is ending next year and I completed it this year. Onerous requirements for status next year - I will not make Plat for sure. And this helps me get to 1MM unless United changes the goal posts.

The 2nd HKG flight enables a morning arrival and a late evening departure. More than enough time to catch up with family while I'm there. Let's hope that this week's violent chaos subsides by my trip or I may have to spend time around the airport area and in the lounges.
Flying Machine likes this.

Last edited by CApreppie; Nov 12, 2019 at 1:09 am
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
How close are you to 2,000,000 miles? I’m chasing it!
About a year away from it on current travel schedules. But I really don't know if I can be bothered. Good luck with yours!
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
About a year away from it on current travel schedules. But I really don't know if I can be bothered. Good luck with yours!
Thanks for your reply, if it was me and you probably anticipated my answer I would pursue it. Enjoy your travels
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 12:52 pm

Question for my wife: after a flight SFO to DFW this year, she's going to have 74163 PQMs. From what I can see, Platinum isn't that big an upgrade in my eyes, so I don't know that having her fly a separate mileage run is worth her time or money. We could buy the elite miles, but...

If we take the paid upgrade on one of our flights, $189 per person (so 378 total), would this provide the PQM multiplier? If so, which? The 200% for C,D and Z is enough to have her make Plat, but the 150% from P,O,A,R,Y and B is not.

My cursory look seems to indicate that it won't, but I figured I'd check. I don't think spending money for an accelerator is worth it either.

Last edited by BillysBahamaBrunchBar; Nov 22, 2019 at 12:58 pm
Old Nov 22, 2019, 1:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BillysBahamaBrunchBar
Question for my wife: after a flight SFO to DFW this year, she's going to have 74163 PQMs. From what I can see, Platinum isn't that big an upgrade in my eyes, so I don't know that having her fly a separate mileage run is worth her time or money. We could buy the elite miles, but...

If we take the paid upgrade on one of our flights, $189 per person (so 378 total), would this provide the PQM multiplier? If so, which? The 200% for C,D and Z is enough to have her make Plat, but the 150% from P,O,A,R,Y and B is not. ..
Depending on how the cash upgrade is done, it may book into one of the 150% fares, but generally not the 200% fare classes. To refare to one of the 200% fare classes will likely be more expensive than the Premier Accelerator approach.

The two principal benefits of Plat is the ability to guest up to 8 into E+, if one has a family this can be a significant benefit.
Also, you would receive the equivalent of two RPUs or 1 GPU, if she can make use of those, it is some value.

Also, the award change fees would be lower, which for some is a benefit.
The thread's wiki has some additional benefits.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by BillysBahamaBrunchBar

If we take the paid upgrade on one of our flights, $189 per person (so 378 total), would this provide the PQM multiplier? If so, which? The 200% for C,D and Z is enough to have her make Plat, but the 150% from P,O,A,R,Y and B is not.

My cursory look seems to indicate that it won't, but I figured I'd check. I don't think spending money for an accelerator is worth it either.
I have been Platinum for 8 years in a row. I have used the RPUs every year and I have gotten random CPUs. I personally would spend ~$1000 on it given our expected travel for 2020 for the upgrades plus getting the raised status for my MM companion.
There have been years that I would not spend that much because of our expected travel.
I do not know how Golds are currently treated but I have been satisfied with United's response during irrops as a Platinum as they have gotten me on my way as quickly as was possible.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 8:05 am

Thank you WineCountryUA and 8MiHi !
8MiHi likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
I'm considering a $700 MR to bump up to Plat. It appears most here don't consider Gold to Plat a big difference, but has this changed with the new 40 PlusPoints offering for Plats?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by chemengin
I'm considering a $700 MR to bump up to Plat. It appears most here don't consider Gold to Plat a big difference, but has this changed with the new 40 PlusPoints offering for Plats?
Unless the 8 x E+ is valuable to you, I'd keep that cash, stay Gold, and use the cash toward a paid upgrade.
jsloan and Boraxo like this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only if you have a use for them, and if they clear — and even then, I’d say it’s breakeven at best unless you are regularly purchasing E+ for travel companions, in which case I’d do it.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
The Plus points are likely to prove more valuable than RPUs were, primarily because they have greater flexibility.
The only way I would do the MR would be strictly because I can visualize the specific advantages of Platinum over Gold in the trips I intend to take.
As I stated above, my 2020 travel plans would cause me to do an MR as you describe.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This year I used my first RPU for RDU-ORD-SLC and would have cleared at least one of those. I tried to use my second for SFO-IAD-RDU, IAD-RDU cleared, SFO-IAD I was number 19 on the upgrade list. Unless things get much better next year I think I'd rather put $700 towards a paid J/F fare than in hope of being able to use the PlusPoints.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Boraxo and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This will be me in 2022 unless there is another status “extension”. Though to be fair I got 3 years of Plat out of my last and final MR to Maui. But in retrospect sure it was worth the aggravation just for 40 PP and better award inventory as it basically cost me around 24 hours of my life. Plat might be more meaningful if we boarded before Gold.
SPN Lifer and Silver Fox like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.