Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2019 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The value of Platinum status over Gold status is generally a "YMMV" situation. Different people will value different benefits in different ways. Here are the most commonly cited differences that people mention:
  • 2 RPUs (none for Gold), for 2020 it will be 40 Plus Points (good for 2 North American or 1 previous GPU-equivalent W-fare upgrade)
  • Improved chances at CPUs through higher priority
  • 8 companions in E+ on the same itinerary vs. 1 companion
  • 3x 70 lb. bags on UA instead of 2x, although plats and golds have exact same additional bag allowance provided to *G on other Star Alliance carriers
  • Greater RDM earning rate (9x instead of 8x base fare)
  • Free award reservation changes, cancellations, miles redeposits if 61 days or more before departure, otherwise $50
  • Somewhat improved premium cabin award space availability (unclear how the change to dynamic awards post Nov 2019 will impact this)
  • Five drink chits
  • Presidential Circle status with Hertz

Plat is the highest level still eligible for Chase MP-branded credit card spend waiver of PQD requirements and also the highest elite elite achievable using FlexPQMs .

A list of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"

UA/Star Alliance: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2019 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by mrmoo
Looks like I will be 1-2 segments short of Platinum this year. I have plenty of nonstop trips scheduled. I think it's going to be worth SDC to add a connection one or two times to qualify for Platinum, if only for the additional mile per dollar for RDM. Shame that (almost) all of my trips this year were short. I've just barely qualifier for gold on PQM and am well over PQD for 1k.
Segments?? You really earned Platinum!!
FlyingHighlander and 8MiHi like this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Forgot about the bonus which definitely has real value. I have $16.3k in EQD so that's worth at least $163 (more if you value miles at >.01 cent but I'm being conservative in light of the massive deval with elimination of award charts).
Kind of my thinking. I don't anticipate my travel patterns changing for the worse next year, so it helps when I try to take some time to vacation in Europe.

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Segments?? You really earned Platinum!!
I certainly feel like I have!
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: United Premier Plat
Would anyone change their mind on this, with the potential of using Plus Points towards a long haul/ Polaris flight?

With all of my travels this year, I will be one MR away from plat (~3,700 PQM) and I'm thinking of stretching!
8MiHi likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wanderluststruck
Would anyone change their mind on this, with the potential of using Plus Points towards a long haul/ Polaris flight?
Yes, assuming you'd be taking an international trip on United anyway. However, I'd still only do it if I had a ton of flexibility. With the +P system, I'd never want to bank on clearing a waitlisted upgrade as a Platinum; you'd be behind too many people. So, I'd want to have the flexibility to search out available upgrade space in advance.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

With all of my travels this year, I will be one MR away from plat (~3,700 PQM) and I'm thinking of stretching!
I would struggle to, if only because one GPU (as 40 PP) is probably $500 on a good day, which is not that much more than a fair valuation of 2 RPU. That being said, 3700 miles is not that far, and possibly worth it regardless.
wanderluststruck likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by findark
I would struggle to, if only because one GPU (as 40 PP) is probably $500 on a good day ...
Out of curiosity, I'd love to know how you come by that assessment of GPU value. Or maybe I misunderstood what you wrote?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by iapetus
Out of curiosity, I'd love to know how you come by that assessment of GPU value. Or maybe I misunderstood what you wrote?
Some blend of the difference between a good W/R fare (~$1,200 r/t) and a good P fare (~$2,200 r/t), and the going rate for bootleg GPUs on eBay, which is a bit less than $500 but also carries elevated risk because you are breaching contract by taking part in the transaction.

Obviously your value may vary by market and usage (the W/P spread to ANZ is still $2,000+ r/t usually), but it's a rough peg.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond

If I was that close I'd stretch. If for nothing else than the slight bump in award mile earning for the next year and the slight bump in the pecking order for CPUs. If you plan on travelling next year at least as much as you did this year you might benefit from a better chance at CPUs depending on how/when you fly. The new points plus program shift does change the calculus a bit, but its hard to say how much max value you could extract from it. So I'll reiterate what I said first- go ahead and do it. 3700 PQM could be earned on the cheap to push you over the hump.
8MiHi and wanderluststruck like this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder

I have been Platinum for almost all of the last 10 years (1 year at Gold). Most years this status has been a nice step up and I have had positive experiences from the added benefits. The new PlusPoints are likely to be an enhancement.

Because I like flying, a single MR to get to Platinum would be something I would do if I could do it cheaply or do something fun. Last year I flew EWR to SJO to see the Giants beat the 49ers.

In other years I would selectively upgrade trips to get the 200% PQM. This year's P fare PQM bonus reduction and tighter availability of inexpensive TOD P or Z upgrades has made that tougher.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
I would struggle to, if only because one GPU (as 40 PP) is probably $500 on a good day, which is not that much more than a fair valuation of 2 RPU. That being said, 3700 miles is not that far, and possibly worth it regardless.
RPUs are virtually worthless unless you live on one of the coasts and travel to the other, or if you can find PZ space to Hawaii. Y->F just isn't that big of a difference from, say, AUS to SFO. GPUs, on the other hand, can carry actual value.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: United
Premier Platinum Status - Worth 43k Chase Points

Hi Everyone - I have about 200k Chase points. I am looking at doing a mileage run to London from Denver to hit Premier Platinum status. It will cost me about 43k Chase points. What is everyone's thoughts on Premier Platinum over Gold? Is it worth the 43k chase points?

I am usually a business traveler with a few international trips a year. Traveling primarily by myself and not with a companion.

What is the frequency difference between first-class upgrades when compared to gold?

How much friendlier is the premier desk call line when compared to gold?

Any other major benefits that would be different?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anthony22
Hi Everyone - I have about 200k Chase points. I am looking at doing a mileage run to London from Denver to hit Premier Platinum status. It will cost me about 43k Chase points. What is everyone's thoughts on Premier Platinum over Gold? Is it worth the 43k chase points?
No. Unless you wanted to visit London anyway, and at that price it sounds like you're overnighting in Y.

What is the frequency difference between first-class upgrades when compared to gold?
It depends. Are you routinely missing the upgrade in the top 5 spots today?

How much friendlier is the premier desk call line when compared to gold?
It's literally the same agents. You can dial them marginally faster as a Plat.

Any other major benefits that would be different?
2x RPU (worth $200 to $400 total depending on when/how you use), E+ for your family which sounds non-helpful, and that's about it. If you want to switch to DL because of the MP changes, it lets you match to DL Plat, which is ironically one of the better forgotten about benefits

Platinum is not a great status.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.

As a 1K, who has been flying in the back for the last 6 months at least, even with RPUs applied to every itinerary, there is no way you are going to see any upgrades unless you are in a remote outstation.

I am not even in a hub and can choose from 3 different non-hub departure airports within 120 miles of me, and there is just no domestic PZ space being released. My belief is that UA is selling 90% of the FC seats for cash, and the GSs are getting whatever UG seats are left.

Take the trip only if you want to go to London. The status is nearly worthless IMO.
Boraxo, Silver Fox and narvik like this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I had Platinum for a few years before hitting 1K when I decided to consolidate most of my travel on UA/*A. 1K is MUCH better, especially since Golds have group 1.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:58 am

Don't do it. If your primary travel is international, gold and platinum will give you similar benefits. Your phone agent experience will also be the same. Domestically, CPU likelihood is close to zero for either. Once in a blue moon, if you fly an odd route or at an odd time of the day, you may get upgraded. Like may be once a year.

Save your 43k Chase points. You can extract much higher value out of it.
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.