Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FAs not seated for take-off / landing reports [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAs not seated for take-off / landing reports [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
FA's standing during take off

All,

Was on UA874 (Top of my head) last week and was sitting in J on the last seat next to the galley forward looking. While taxing down to the runway at NRT the captain announced TWICE that we would be next for take off while we weren't at the hold short yet, and then once more before we crossed the runway threshold. I was trying to nap at this point so I was focused on getting some shut eye. Before thrust was applied and while we were lined up, 2 FA's were giggling it off in the galley, one even eating. Guess they realized too late, as the moment thrust hit they lost their balance and they made a run for their jump seat. Numerous items hit the floor which I suppose they hadn't secure yet. Less than 15 seconds after we were off the runway, one of them came into the galley running and picked up everything.

I've done lots of flights, and even as a pilot I do not believe I've ever had a crew member standing up in the alley (where I was told at least). Although no one was hurt, wondering how common this is? Big no no on the airline I used to fly on.

Side comment and I mean this in the most respectful way I can, man do the pacific FA's need a refresher. Both crews on UA155 and 874 looked like they hadn't slept in a while with hair all of the place. Massive difference between the crew flying from HNL-LAX later on.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: AA Plat
I've seen it just once ex-PWM on a regional. The pilots forgot to announce "please be seated for takeoff" during our ATC delay. LOL She just made it to her seat. We still had our PDBs in hand IIRC.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
I've seen this once on EWR-HKG a few years ago. The pilots didn't make the "Please be seated for takeoff" announcement, and the flight attendant in the door 2 galley was still securing the galley. She was assigned a door 3 jumpseat and made a dash towards it; this was a rare case of there being an empty seat in J, so she sat down there when she found the seat empty on her way towards her jumpseat. It certainly didn't look like a pleasant experience! It sounded like there may have been a difference in procedures between sUA and sCO pilots for the "Please be seated" announcement that may have caused the confusion (this was shortly after pilots merged).

Last edited by aindfan; Nov 19, 2018 at 4:35 pm
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I had this on a flight the other day. The pilot hadn't made the "Please be seated fr takeoff" announcement. As thrust was applied an FA dashed down the aisle to a jump seat.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by aindfan
I've seen this once on EWR-HKG a few years ago.
Same experience to me as well.

Were we on the same flight?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Many years ago I saw this on a 747 ORD-SFO. Flight attendant was standing in the aisle when the pilot hit the gas for takeoff. He shot back like a rocket.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by garykung
Same experience to me as well.

Were we on the same flight?
Hah, maybe. I want to say it was on a Wednesday in March 2015?

Last edited by aindfan; Nov 21, 2018 at 4:42 am
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Many years ago I saw this on a 747 ORD-SFO. Flight attendant was standing in the aisle when the pilot hit the gas for takeoff. He shot back like a rocket.
Nothing flies like the Queen!
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:42 am

The risk of something bad happening is very small. Takeoffs and landings are quite stable, if you consider the low low accident rates. As long as this is a one off situation and/ or multiple FAs are not doing it at the same time, I wouldn't worry.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
It happened on a Singapore Airlines flight, TPE-LAX. The plane started its takeoff roll with several flight attendants standing. They scrambled to their seats.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:05 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Whatever happened to the FAA rule that F/As were to be seated, and stay seated, immediately after doing cabin safety checks?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by aindfan
Hah, maybe. I want to say it was on a Wednesday in March 2015?
Mine was beyond UA's account history.

So it sounds like UA does that on purpose...LOL...
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Happned to me in a somewhat more extreme fashion about 10 years ago.

I was on a TG A300 HKT-BKK. FAs were in the aisles doing a manual safety demo when the pilot came on the PA and said something in Thai. The very same moment take-off thrust was applied, and FAs scrambled to their seats.

We never got the rest of that safety demo, and I live to tell.... :-)
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
seen it a few times, however the only plane it might be an issue on would be the 757 with a wet runway full power takeoff.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mellon
seen it a few times, however the only plane it might be an issue on would be the 757 with a wet runway full power takeoff.
How does a wet runway affect the takeoff acceleration? Does it mean more thrust is needed?
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.