Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pilot commenting OHB closing in Polaris can disturb those in 777-300 crew rest area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot commenting OHB closing in Polaris can disturb those in 777-300 crew rest area

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
(Deleted - double post)
Old May 5, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by energydj
So the opening and closing of the overhead bins come down to aircraft safety?

Well thats a new one on me!
Crew rest is an FAA mandated requirement for ULH flights,
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 5, 2019 at 8:58 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit;
Old May 5, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
There is a difference between opening/closing bins or tiptoeing through the tulips and what the OP said the pilot asked ... don't slam the bins shut. He specifically talked about the vibrations, not the noise ... but way to mix in non-sequiturs about FA behavior because you "will not tolerate" being told something by the flight crew. The OP should amplify on his post if the pilot used a patronizing tone but the simple fact of telling the cabin something that I bet most of them didn't know is not patronizing ... and in the end, it's for their safety too.
copperred likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
You're paying a professional to transport you. If he feels theyre unable to do so safely they're fully entitled to just cancel the flight. If they feel you need a talking to to ensure they can safely complete the flight then the same. Their life isn't worth any less than yours. I'm a private pilot and whatwver requests or demands pax may have are absolutely second to the safety requirements of the flight.
OK. Perhaps you are spot on. If so, then I would expect the pilots' and attendants' unions have spoken to management and petitioned to have a standardized announcement broadcast before the start of each longhaul flight. The fact that this is not happening means that there is no airline- or FAA-imposed standardized announcement, and that means that there is no generally-recognized safety issue. So, does every Tom, Dick, and Sally UA crew member get to make any hair-brained announcement they desire and do so proclaiming a safety issue?
Old May 5, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
Well the OP did say that he got the 'death stare' from the FA. The indication also was that when he responded to the pilot is that look/feeling was one of indignation.

I do not for a second think the crew do not deserve their rest but at the same time when you have the top 1% sitting in front of the aircraft and maybe those who have status and just want to be fed and watered and sleep themselves getting the 'lecture' from the pilot is uneccessary.

I dropped from United Platinum to Silver in 1 year because I voted with my feet and moved around airlines for times, connections and prices versus just using United.

I would vote with my feet again if I was treated with that on any flight not just United.
iluv2fly, Silver Fox and narvik like this.

Last edited by energydj; May 6, 2019 at 5:38 am
Old May 5, 2019, 9:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Question -- after 2 weeks & 7.5K views, this is the sole report of such a request. Perhaps the pilot has done this before but this particular "announcement" does not seem to be a widespread issue
Old May 5, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Question -- after 2 weeks & 7.5K views, this is the sole report of such a request. Perhaps the pilot has done this before but this particular "announcement" does not seem to be a widespread issue
It seems like a rogue pilot with a sleep disorder.
Silver Fox and energydj like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by energydj
Well the OP did say that he got the 'death stare' from the FO. The indication also was that when he responded to the pilot is that look/feeling was one of indignation.

I do not for a second think the crew do not deserve their rest but at the same time when you have the top 1% sitting in front of the aircraft and maybe those who have status and just want to be fed and watered and sleep themselves getting the 'lecture' from the pilot is uneccessary.

I dropped from United Platinum to Silver in 1 year because I voted with my feet and moved around airlines for times, connections and prices versus just using United.

I would vote with my feet again if I was treated with that on any flight not just United.
Respectfully, you may want to re-read the original post. Your interpretation is quite different.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by 747FC
OK. Perhaps you are spot on. If so, then I would expect the pilots' and attendants' unions have spoken to management and petitioned to have a standardized announcement broadcast before the start of each longhaul flight. The fact that this is not happening means that there is no airline- or FAA-imposed standardized announcement, and that means that there is no generally-recognized safety issue. So, does every Tom, Dick, and Sally UA crew member get to make any hair-brained announcement they desire and do so proclaiming a safety issue?
Well as it is only the front cabin I would not expect it to be broadcast to the whole plane as it relates to safety and the pilots ability to sleep.

I think it is a very reasonable request, especially for those of us who are also disturbed from our sleep by every Tom, Dick and Sally pax and Crew member who loudly shut the overheads and talk loudly.

A general announcement to be respectful of your fellow pax who may be sleeping may be useful on ALL flights.
Old May 6, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Well as it is only the front cabin I would not expect it to be broadcast to the whole plane as it relates to safety and the pilots ability to sleep.

I think it is a very reasonable request, especially for those of us who are also disturbed from our sleep by every Tom, Dick and Sally pax and Crew member who loudly shut the overheads and talk loudly.

A general announcement to be respectful of your fellow pax who may be sleeping may be useful on ALL flights.
We can agree that a civil society is a proper goal.

If you believe the pilot made a reasonable request, would you support a passenger who approahes FAs and makes a similar appeal for quiet conduct?
Old May 6, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: UA 1k
The crew rest of pilots is a bit more important than the uninterrupted sleep of passengers, so I don't understand why anybody would be outraged by this completely reasonable request of the pilot. Many people slam the overhead bins shut (in fact, I would almost say most passengers do -- because it takes force to close them so it's easier to use momentum than pure strength). We can't really hear it over the noise of the plane, but if you were lying directly on top of the overhead bins, you sure would feel it!
Old May 6, 2019, 4:30 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
See post #56, I had the same request on a recent flight, and it came across as very friendly and reasonable. I am glad they have the ability to make these “ultra long haul” flights now to avoid extra connections, and if that involves pilots and FO’s needing sleep, that’s fine with me. The added bonus is I am also not woken by the noise. But even with more than 1 report it does seem more like a pilot(‘s) taking initiative than a new policy.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
This all makes one wonder how on earth they were able to safely fly around all this time WITHOUT such a request for uninterrupted and unimpeded sleep.
I will whisper my meal order from now on, just be extra safe!

Old May 6, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by narvik
This all makes one wonder how on earth they were able to safely fly around all this time WITHOUT such a request for uninterrupted and unimpeded sleep.
I will whisper my meal order from now on, just be extra safe!

777-300 crew rest facilities are in a different location than the other 777’s. We sleep upstairs above the Polaris seats on these planes. In the bunk, our heads are probably 1-2 feet from the overhead bins at seats 1D & 1G.

Hope this helps explain further.
EmailKid, gernabae, narvik and 4 others like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by augias84
The crew rest of pilots is a bit more important than the uninterrupted sleep of passengers, so I don't understand why anybody would be outraged by this completely reasonable request of the pilot. Many people slam the overhead bins shut (in fact, I would almost say most passengers do -- because it takes force to close them so it's easier to use momentum than pure strength). We can't really hear it over the noise of the plane, but if you were lying directly on top of the overhead bins, you sure would feel it!
Well if it's that important then they should have built them a proper place where they will be totally and utterly undisturbed.
iluv2fly and 747FC like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.