Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pilot commenting OHB closing in Polaris can disturb those in 777-300 crew rest area

Pilot commenting OHB closing in Polaris can disturb those in 777-300 crew rest area

Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
He asked if there were any questions........I couldn't help myself and raised my hand. When recognized I asked "could you please tell the FA's not to slam the doors on every cabinet throughout the flight so we could sleep?" He smiled and walked away. I did get the death stare from one of the FA's but I didn't care. Has anyone else had this happen in a flight? Thanks.
The thing that aggravates me the most about the FAs in the front galley is the total disregard for sleeping pax as evidenced by their loud and often raucous conversations and antics during overnight flights. I would appreciate it if the pilots would also remind the front galley FAs that many people are trying to sleep and that they should keep their noise level down to that expected in a library.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 21, 2019 at 4:28 pm Reason: removed response to deleted content
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
surprised the OP didn't get the Dao treatment from the crew considering the 'pre warning' and OP's pushback about FA's gallery noise.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 21, 2019 at 4:27 pm Reason: removed response to deleted content
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:54 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
Some of the OHCR installs delete the bins under it, not sure if for this reason.
They are deleted (like on the CX 777-300 and OS 777-200) since the overhead crew rest area droops into the space that the center bank of bins would have used.

CX has no overhead bins in the 777-300 F cabin and OS only has them over the First class window seats in their 777-200's.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Well - the pilot is right about one thing - the vast majority of passengers have no clue how to close an overhead bin while passengers are sleeping. I've never understood why so many passengers have to constantly rummage in an overhead during the flight and then proceed to slam the overhead bin - I don't think they are being rude on purpose, so yeah - some people do need a demonstration despite common sense should be able to prevail.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I did get the death stare from one of the FA's but I didn't care.
LOL. Although I don't think there's anything wrong with the pilot cautioning about the OHB, I also don't think there's anything wrong with your spot-on snark. I admire your chutzpah because I personally wouldn't have spoken in that situation.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Thank you moderator for updating the thread title, bravo!
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Grammar / spelling policing / shaming generally adds nothing to the discussion unless to clarify the poster's intent. As such those posts will be deleted. There are too many reasons for potential typos / incorrect auto-corrections / non-native speakers / ...... for it to be an issue if the intent is clear.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator & and at times also grammar challenged
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
He asked if there were any questions........I couldn't help myself and raised my hand. When recognized I asked "could you please tell the FA's not to slam the doors on every cabinet throughout the flight so we could sleep?" He smiled and walked away. I did get the death stare from one of the FA's but I didn't care. Has anyone else had this happen in a flight? Thanks.
Absolutely, happens on every flight. FA's slaming doors on every cabinet

And guess what, I've seen plenty of FA's slam overhead bins closed too.
iluv2fly and MrGood like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by eng3
Absolutely, happens on every flight. FA's slaming doors on every cabinet

And guess what, I've seen plenty of FA's slam overhead bins closed too.
Maybe they know who's up in the crew rest...

David
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Rude captain.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
A common courtesy booklet for passengers and crew would be an "enhancement" that would not disadvantage anyone.
nancypants and MrGood like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Without being there, I can only speculate that while the captain had good intentions of politely asking the passengers to not do something they didn't know they were doing, but the execution definitely needs to be polished quite a bit. I definitely think that the initial approach and introduction is a plus.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Not judging the Captain's intentions, or how it was perceived, but if the seats had more storage space ...
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
The cabin crew were talking on mpst of my entire flight from Tokyo should I have performed a demonstration on how to be quiet for them?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since the center bins are high and kind of spring (?) assisted, one really does not have to slam them to close, right?

My gripe is with FAs pushing the curtains on you as they go between cabins - it is the worst if you are in the first row in Y but sometimes also if you are in a backward facing seat in the old J cabin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.