Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pilot commenting OHB closing in Polaris can disturb those in 777-300 crew rest area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot commenting OHB closing in Polaris can disturb those in 777-300 crew rest area

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM

Mods, feel free to merge this if appropriate. It didn't seem to fit easily elsewhere.

Flew UA 48 EWR-BOM on 17 April. Sitting in forward section of J. Just before they closed the doors the pilot came out into the aisle and greeted the cabin. That's nice, I thought. Then he proceeded to inform us that the crew bunks are overhead in this craft. As such he said, "please don't slam the overhead bins because it vibrates upstairs and disturbs us". I waited for his laugh, but it never came. He then proceeded to show us the proper way to open and close the bins quietly. I was pretty amazed.

He asked if there were any questions........I couldn't help myself and raised my hand. When recognized I asked "could you please tell the FA's not to slam the doors on every cabinet throughout the flight so we could sleep?" He smiled and walked away. I did get the death stare from one of the FA's but I didn't care. Has anyone else had this happen in a flight? Thanks.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 21, 2019 at 12:09 pm Reason: Please create thread titles that are specific and descriptive
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Mods, feel free to merge this if appropriate. It didn't seem to fit easily elsewhere.

Flew UA 48 EWR-BOM on 17 April. Sitting in forward section of J. Just before they closed the doors the pilot came out into the aisle and greeted the cabin. That's nice, I thought. Then he proceeded to inform us that the crew bunks are overhead in this craft. As such he said, "please don't slam the overhead bins because it vibrates upstairs and disturbs us". I waited for his laugh, but it never came. He then proceeded to show us the proper way to open and close the bins quietly. I was pretty amazed.

He asked if there were any questions........I couldn't help myself and raised my hand. When recognized I asked "could you please tell the FA's not to slam the doors on every cabinet throughout the flight so we could sleep?" He smiled and walked away. I did get the death stare from one of the FA's but I didn't care. Has anyone else had this happen in a flight? Thanks.
nicely played. LOL! And I would add; “please tell the FA’s to turn off or down the galley lighting or close the curtains when meal service is finished so those within 3-4 rows of the galley aren’t forced to wear their eyeshades”.
service is finished
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Without being there to hear his tone I would assume he was trying to be nice about it as it's important on these long flights for the crew to get the proper rest.

You wouldn't want a tired sleepy pilot trying to land an airplane would you? History has shown us that that doesn't usually end up well.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by seatacpilot
Without being there to hear his tone I would assume he was trying to be nice about it as it's important on these long flights for the crew to get the proper rest.

The announcement I could have accepted.
The demonstration is condescending!
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:14 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Is it that common to slam the bins on a 777?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by exerda
Enough for the pilot to say something.

The closing of bins and cupboards is annoying while you are asleep so a reminder to crew and pax is good.

On the 3 cabin aircraft I always liked seat 6A as pilot rest was 6B and it was always quiet. Alas, no more.
nancypants and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:59 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
The demonstration is condescending!
For most pax a demonstration is MANDATORY.

Originally Posted by exerda
It's common on ALL planes. Single aisle planes don't have a rest area above First Class as far as I know.

I was raised in Europe for the first dozen or so years of my life, and much, much later it still annoyes (FT rules prohibit me from expressing how I really feel) me the way North Americans SLAM doors (yes, even the "polite" Canadians )

Last edited by EmailKid; Apr 21, 2019 at 2:07 pm Reason: Language police got me, and I don't even live in Quebec
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Having bunked down in the rest area above before, there is a noise/vibration transference, but I've never found it to be disruptive, but that may just be me. Hopefully his tone was polite and friendly, and not that of a teacher scolding children.
cawhite, wrp96, nancypants and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Seems quite inappropriate to me. Maybe, at most, incorporate into the general audio announcement that includes other things and say this is a courtesy to the crew AND fellow passengers.

Do international airlines need to make such an announcement?

Seems like a design note for future bins to have a spring closing mechanism at least for some of them
coolbeans202 and Silver Fox like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
Seems like a design note for future bins to have a spring closing mechanism at least for some of them
Or a sliding mechanism like a roll-top desk.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:15 am

If the comments by some GAs/FAs is any guide, UA would get much better OTD if they did away with carryon and had everyone gatecheck their carryon and there would be no need for the overhead disturbing the sleep of anyone. 😛
CJ99 and Silver Fox like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I think they should only allow FA and Crew to store their luggage in the forward section in Polaris so that they are the only people that would have a need to go in there. Oh, hang on, just a minute...........
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by bluedemon211

I would report this to 1k voice. The announcement and demonstration, taken together, was condescending and inappropriate. Your comeback was entirely appropriate.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by sincx
I would report this to 1k voice. The announcement and demonstration, taken together, was condescending and inappropriate. Your comeback was entirely appropriate.
Totally disagree about reporting to 1K voice. I was not there but many people need a demonstration on how to close an overhead bin quietly (based on my flying experiences) and not sure I see that as condescending.

Do think it was appropriate to ask the pilot to ask the FAs to keep noise levels and lights to a minimum. Been on too many red eyes where the lights get turned on during the flight or galley noise is too loud.

Bottom line: show respect and courtesy to people around you.
EmailKid, cruisr, nwflyboy and 9 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Some of the OHCR installs delete the bins under it, not sure if for this reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.