Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pilot commenting OHB closing in Polaris can disturb those in 777-300 crew rest area

Pilot commenting OHB closing in Polaris can disturb those in 777-300 crew rest area

Reply

Old May 6, 19, 12:35 pm
  #91  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 337
The really sad part about all of this is the fact that it is actually an issue. If everyone would just be courteous to those around and use common sense then we wouldn’t even be talking about this. The way humans behave is going down the drain really fast.
altbg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 19, 1:48 pm
  #92  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: HNL
Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Posts: 5,025
Originally Posted by altbg View Post
The way humans behave is going down the drain really fast.
In crowded environments, humans behave just like rats—they are prone to attack.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
747FC is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 19, 3:01 pm
  #93  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 267
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
Well if it's that important then they should have built them a proper place where they will be totally and utterly undisturbed.

Where would you suggest they place the rest quarters instead of their current location? Space tends to be at a premium, especially when they have to give extra space for the peanut gallery. Over the years many locations below and above have been used, but it's not premium accommodation for the crew, it's extremely space limited; think more submarine than suite on an ocean liner.

Maybe there's a market for soft close overheads that's just waiting to come to market. They could also remove the overheads under the rest area, eliminating the issue, if not the complaints.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
copperred is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 19, 3:02 pm
  #94  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,993
Originally Posted by altbg View Post
The really sad part about all of this is the fact that it is actually an issue. If everyone would just be courteous to those around and use common sense then we wouldn’t even be talking about this. The way humans behave is going down the drain really fast.
How very true.

The much more disconcerting issue IME is that if some passengers should happen to slam the OHB during flight, it somehow detrimentally affects the safety of the flight, as has been alluded to in this thread.
That's worrisome.
narvik is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 19, 12:27 am
  #95  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LHR/SFO
Programs: 1K, *G, Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Posts: 15,308
Originally Posted by copperred View Post
Where would you suggest they place the rest quarters instead of their current location? Space tends to be at a premium, especially when they have to give extra space for the peanut gallery. Over the years many locations below and above have been used, but it's not premium accommodation for the crew, it's extremely space limited; think more submarine than suite on an ocean liner.

Maybe there's a market for soft close overheads that's just waiting to come to market. They could also remove the overheads under the rest area, eliminating the issue, if not the complaints.
I'm not an aircraft designer so haven't a clue. But it is either a safety issue or it isn't and should be treated accordingly. Another way of looking at this is that, in this case, a pilot has reported/identified a potential safety issue that could be detrimental to the safety of all on board and if it is that serious then it needs to be addressed.

And they have soft closing toilets so soft closing overhead space shouldn't be an issue you would have thought.
Silver Fox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 19, 10:39 am
  #96  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K 2MM
Posts: 548
Originally Posted by clubord View Post


Respectfully, you may want to re-read the original post. Your interpretation is quite different.
After 7 pages of comments and over 8,000 views it appears I have my answer. It appears this was a one-off situation. Thank you for the feedback.

Just to answer some of the questions in the thread and suppositions made (which are totally understandable if someone was not there), let me add a little texture:

-The pilot was pleasant and professional. He was not condescending or snarky. He simply stated his request and demonstrated the proper way to open and close the bin. Never having heard that before, it caught me by surprise.
-When I asked my question, he smiled with kind of a "yeah, I know what you mean about the FA slamming stuff all flight, but I am not going to say anything..............I have to fly with them the next 7,000+ miles.
-The FA that gave me the death stare eventually warmed up and chatted me up a bit after dinner. He was not happy I called out the FA's but understood EVERYONE needed to be more polite when interacting in public.
-The lack of civility in general in this day and age leads to a lot of bad behavior. Treating everyone with more compassion and kindness goes a long way............especially if you are going to be locked in a metal tube together for 16 hours.

The bottom line is this appears to be an isolated situation. That said, consideration for others should be in place for all of us. I am guilty of being over-tired and probably less tolerant than I should be on long haul flights. Thank you to everyone that gave feedback and viewed the thread.
bluedemon211 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 19, 11:44 am
  #97  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: HNL
Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Posts: 5,025
Originally Posted by bluedemon211 View Post
...he smiled with kind of a "yeah, I know what you mean about the FA slamming stuff all flight, but I am not going to say anything..............I have to fly with them the next 7,000+ miles.

-The FA ...He was not happy I called out the FA's but understood EVERYONE needed to be more polite when interacting in public.
Thanks for your information. Can you please clarify: Were the data points above from direct statements by the pilot and FA, or were these assumptions you made from their nonverbals?

For example, did the FA say "I'm not happy you called out the FAs, but yes, everyone needs to be more polite." How long after the impolite death stare did he say this?
747FC is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 19, 4:19 pm
  #98  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,993
Thanks for the elaboration, and IME very few will disagree with the statement that "Treating everyone with more compassion and kindness goes a long way..."



Originally Posted by bluedemon211 View Post
He was not condescending or snarky.
IMO his action of closing the OHB to educate passengers on the best way to minimize his sleep interruption was slightly condescending,
which appears to be exactly the reason why it prompted your [great] answer and remark about the FAs, which was slightly snarky.
narvik is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 1:01 pm
  #99  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K 2MM
Posts: 548
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
Thanks for your information. Can you please clarify: Were the data points above from direct statements by the pilot and FA, or were these assumptions you made from their nonverbals?

For example, did the FA say "I'm not happy you called out the FAs, but yes, everyone needs to be more polite." How long after the impolite death stare did he say this?
The pilot never said anything about the FA's, it was totally non verbal but clear from his look.

The FA did say exactly what I quoted. He was not happy with me for asking the question, but acknowledged we could all be nicer to each other. He waited until after dinner service was over and I was setting up my seat to sleep to come over to chat. His service during dinner was professional.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
bluedemon211 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 3:33 pm
  #100  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: On the Road Again
Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Life time Titanium Elite (whateverthat is)
Posts: 672
Twenty or thirty years from now when the 777’s replacements are coming online, I’m sure that soft close latches will be the norm or possibly the overhead bins under crew rest will have been removed.
Dublin_rfk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 3:47 pm
  #101  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,993
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk View Post
Twenty or thirty years from now when the 777’s replacements are coming online, I’m sure that soft close latches will be the norm or possibly the overhead bins under crew rest will have been removed.
In twenty or thirty years maybe the crew will be removed.
narvik is online now  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread