Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pilot commenting OHB closing in Polaris can disturb those in 777-300 crew rest area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot commenting OHB closing in Polaris can disturb those in 777-300 crew rest area

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Mods, feel free to merge this if appropriate. It didn't seem to fit easily elsewhere.

Flew UA 48 EWR-BOM on 17 April. Sitting in forward section of J. Just before they closed the doors the pilot came out into the aisle and greeted the cabin. That's nice, I thought. Then he proceeded to inform us that the crew bunks are overhead in this craft. As such he said, "please don't slam the overhead bins because it vibrates upstairs and disturbs us". I waited for his laugh, but it never came. He then proceeded to show us the proper way to open and close the bins quietly. I was pretty amazed.

He asked if there were any questions........I couldn't help myself and raised my hand. When recognized I asked "could you please tell the FA's not to slam the doors on every cabinet throughout the flight so we could sleep?" He smiled and walked away. I did get the death stare from one of the FA's but I didn't care. Has anyone else had this happen in a flight? Thanks.
Sounds like somebody should be applying to Fedex
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
Nobody (especially paying customers) like to be patronized. And the help should not talk to the passengers this way.
"the help" ? Really??? So do you expect them to bow and tug their forelock?

The pilot is there to pilot the aircraft safely to my destination and obtaining sufficient rest on long haul flights would achieve that safety requirement. That truly is the only requirement I have from the pilot - I do not care if the pilot greets me, makes announcements, I just require the pilot to get me safely to my destination. Please let me know when i can do to help achieve that result - keep my seatbelt on, ensure the pilot gets sufficient rest by quietly closing an overhead bin, whatever it takes.. The pilot is not my servant (nor for that matter are the FAs).

Not saying the FAs do not adopt attitudes at times but then some of the behaviours of the pax astounds me at times. I do not like FAs slamming doors closed during red eyes, talking loudly in the galley, lights on,.etc. and glad OP made a comment when the pilot asked for any questions. I too have responsibilities when I get to the other end of the flight and need my sleep on a red eye.

Mutual kindness and respect goes a long way in this world. * sigh
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Sorry, but that would be a pointless complaint. I'm not going to burn my credibility emailing 1kvoice to complain about an FA slamming cabinet doors. What are they going to do - offer me 5k points?

Like others, I suspect that some meaningful percentage of the FAs who slam doors do so deliberately. Classic passive-aggresssive behavior. But good luck ever proving that.
This is truth. Risking your customer profile (and UA does track your complaints and value to the company) by complaining about something that you can't prove, and which could be open to multiple interpretations/explanations, is a fool's errand. I'll keep my powder dry for things like what just happened to me during the recent ground stops in ORD and IAH, where I was downgraded from F out of necessity, but where they still got me to my destinations.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
Nobody (especially paying customers) like to be patronized. And the help should not talk to the passengers this way.
Were they wearing the new uniform palette 'patronizing purple'
Old May 4, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think you missed OP's point, which is understandable if you're not a UA regular.

Many of us find it ironic that a UA crew member would ask passengers to close the overheads quietly given the relish with which many UA FAs slam cabinet doors, repeatedly, while the paying customers are attempting to sleep.
And don't get me started on the FA's need to speak as LOUD AS POSSIBLE.
Old May 4, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
Originally Posted by seatacpilot
Without being there to hear his tone I would assume he was trying to be nice about it as it's important on these long flights for the crew to get the proper rest.

You wouldn't want a tired sleepy pilot trying to land an airplane would you? History has shown us that that doesn't usually end up well.

Not that I give [redacted] about his tone or what he said he was totally out of line. His job is to fly the aircraft from A to B. It is also his responsibility to be properly rested prior to the flight. If I was paying thousands of dollars to be seated where I want on a long haul flight I deserve to be treated with a degree of respect and not some petulant child who has never been in J before.

If I was in that position I would have filed a complaint with United before the aircraft landed at its destination.
747FC likes this.

Last edited by J.Edward; May 4, 2019 at 4:19 pm Reason: no quasi / masked profanity please
Old May 4, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by energydj
Not that I give [redacted] about his tone or what he said he was totally out of line. His job is to fly the aircraft from A to B. It is also his responsibility to be properly rested prior to the flight. If I was paying thousands of dollars to be seated where I want on a long haul flight I deserve to be treated with a degree of respect and not some petulant child who has never been in J before.

If I was in that position I would have filed a complaint with United before the aircraft landed at its destination.
Sorry, but I do think tone matters. A lot of people don't realize slamming the bins creates vibrations up top where the pilots are resting (y'know, so they CAN be fully rested for later phases of flight on an ultra long haul?). A lot of passengers don't even know there ARE crew rest bunks up there.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:05 am

You could go round and round but all I know is that I am not going to step on eggshells in the cabin just because precious barbie needs some sleep!
Old May 5, 2019, 5:24 am

Seems a reasonable request, but one that should be delivered by the customer service staff and not the guy who should be worried about bigger things. It only comes across as tacky given the utter lack of consideration given by most FAs to the comfort of the passengers onboard.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could go round and round but all I know is that I am not going to step on eggshells in the cabin just because precious barbie needs some sleep!
Wilful blindness to the experiences and needs of others doesn't seem a winning attribute.
copperred and ajGoes like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by fumje
Wilful blindness to the experiences and needs of others doesn't seem a winning attribute.
How true... can you pass that on to UA customer service?
Silver Fox, energydj and truncated like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:45 am

Its so true. Can be very hit and miss but if I am paying $4k for a flight I will not tolerate being patronised by crew, cabin or flight deck.
iluv2fly and Silver Fox like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Its so true. Can be very hit and miss but if I am paying $4k for a flight I will not tolerate being patronised by crew, cabin or flight deck.
You're paying a professional to transport you. If he feels theyre unable to do so safely they're fully entitled to just cancel the flight. If they feel you need a talking to to ensure they can safely complete the flight then the same. Their life isn't worth any less than yours. I'm a private pilot and whatwver requests or demands pax may have are absolutely second to the safety requirements of the flight.
copperred and ajGoes like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by mellon
I wont slam the bins if he gets the FAs not to put the temperature in the plane above 72f, when they get cold in the galley.
^ ^
Old May 5, 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
You're paying a professional to transport you. If he feels theyre unable to do so safely they're fully entitled to just cancel the flight. If they feel you need a talking to to ensure they can safely complete the flight then the same. Their life isn't worth any less than yours. I'm a private pilot and whatwver requests or demands pax may have are absolutely second to the safety requirements of the flight.
So the opening and closing of the overhead bins come down to aircraft safety?

Well thats a new one on me!
ContinentalFan and Silver Fox like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 5, 2019 at 8:57 pm Reason: discuss the issues; not the poster(s)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.