Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Intermittent Fasting Strategies / Better Nutrition for United Inflight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intermittent Fasting Strategies / Better Nutrition for United Inflight?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:25 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by transportprof
Is SnakeJuice related to snake oil?
Don't think so - it's to address...
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The real concern would be sodium levels and electrolytes.
...basically the stuff your body can't get from internal fat stores. So that's water + potassium chloride + sodium chloride + sodium bicarbonate + magnesium sulfate - or Snake Juice - as coined by a youtube personality.
Originally Posted by zitsky
Do you still exercise as normal? What happens to your blood sugar levels?
Stopped lifting but picked up jogging / running. When in deep ketosis I did notice a lag but it's only temporary (~1-2 seconds) and you bounce back immediately - if I ran up the stairs or threw myself out of bed I'd feel slightly dizzy for a second or so but then was back to normal. No issues with blood chemistry when I did tests about 2 months ago nor did I see a large decrease in lean muscle mass per Dexascans.

Originally Posted by chipmaster
When doing every week PDX-PVG ( PDX-SFO-PVG, PVG-LAX-PDX ) always went in with good well-balanced meal before departure and a stop at the market for a good carry-on snack.
Here here. I've come to appreciate the salad bar area under the UC at the 80's gate in EWR. That's my go-to when I'm looking to get food for a flight out and a great resource for any UA travelers heading through EWR.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: MileagePlus and a bunch of hotel programs
Originally Posted by sdix
I've been doing a Bulletproof coffee Keto with IF for several months. Resisting the crappy food in the lounges is my biggest issue I travel with Keto friendly snacks that get me through the flights as well as Bulletproof coffee mix that I can add to my onboard coffee. (I carry my own travel mug) Managed to loose 50 pounds in 6 months.
I'm similar. I've been keto for almost 2.5 years now. I IF pretty much every day, and limit my eating window. Just finished a day of protein sparing modified fasting yesterday. I also travel with keto friendly snacks.

My external counsel now know to check with me before booking restaurant reservations to be sure I can find keto options (I nearly always can). But I find I seldom can eat anything on United, including the snack boxes -- I finally gave up trying the day my only option was a sandwich (bread carbs and very little meat), chips (carbs), fruit (carbs) and some other dessert (more carbs). I think there was even a roll on the side!! Now I either schedule flights so that I can eat before or after (if needed) or occasionally, I carry on my own food. (Fortunately, my home airport has some good options for me).

Down 80 pounds -- and more importantly, A1c and fasting blood glucose are in the normal range (after being diagnosed as a diabetic before starting this way of eating).
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:49 pm

I do 16/8 IF with keto, but I don't hold myself to it too strictly when traveling to maximize my flexibility around schedule, what food is available in the area, etc.. Down ~50 pounds in 15 months.

I typically bring a bag of macadamias (Hawaii's Local Buzz FTW), a couple of Quest Hero bars, and a small bottle of electrolyte concentrate (which would be a must-have for any trans- or inter-con flight). Depending on the airport, I might grab a salad or a sandwich that I can eat the inside of. If I eat UA food, it's the non-carb portion of a snack box (lamenting the now-vanished cheese box) or the burger patty with enough of the chipotle mayo to make it tolerable. I don't know if I would do this if I had to pay for it, though. If in business, I pick the least carby meal and eat the proteins.

Regarding exercise, I certainly haven't noticed any impact on my own routine of rowing (steady state or short intervals) and kettlebells.
Baygirl2017 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
BTW, the other way to do this is like I did last year: I ONLY ate on the United flights and in the PEK CA lounge, albeit being rather selective on food choices. No food at all at home or at travel destination.
Food was simply limited to flights and lounge.

1) PEK CA lounge limited to the rather bland & awful selection of "sushi" and their salad selection.
2) Standard UA Polaris meal, but not having the nuts, the bread, butter, salad dressing, cheese, nor desert.
3) Only drink calorie-free options, preferably seltzer water/S.Pellegrino.

This worked out pretty good, and desired weight was achieved much faster than I thought possible.
DELee likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by p_man
I do 16/8 IF with keto, but I don't hold myself to it too strictly when traveling to maximize my flexibility around schedule, what food is available in the area, etc.. Down ~50 pounds in 15 months.

I typically bring a bag of macadamias (Hawaii's Local Buzz FTW), a couple of Quest Hero bars, and a small bottle of electrolyte concentrate (which would be a must-have for any trans- or inter-con flight). Depending on the airport, I might grab a salad or a sandwich that I can eat the inside of. If I eat UA food, it's the non-carb portion of a snack box (lamenting the now-vanished cheese box) or the burger patty with enough of the chipotle mayo to make it tolerable. I don't know if I would do this if I had to pay for it, though. If in business, I pick the least carby meal and eat the proteins.

Regarding exercise, I certainly haven't noticed any impact on my own routine of rowing (steady state or short intervals) and kettlebells.
I found workouts easier on keto. As long as you have fat to burn you have access to a lot of energy. I lost about 40lb in 5 months. It was pretty steadily 2lb/week. Then I decided that carbs were too tasty to give up and gained it all back.

Honestly I did not find flying to be that hard. One meal is not going to make that much of a difference (admittedly I was not flying as much as people do here). Also my flights were kind of short for the most part. If I was hungry I'd grab a snack box and eat the low-carb stuff out of it. You can get a salad with chicken on it at pretty much any airport too, and oil&vinegar dressing is readily available. Or, better yet, a cobb salad. It basically has all my favorite foods + lettuce.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by narvik
To bring this back to the United forum: with current cutbacks, and meal-quality decreases, the idea of a water-only-fast seems more and more appealing once again!
I just landed from Sin-Sfo flight and repeated water-only IF lasting 18hr (5hr prior to boarding, and 13 hr during flight), just had water, plus 1 OJ (although carb+sugar, doctors generally say ok to have a serving of juice during IF for its nutrition) and 1 black coffee. Ate well in Singapore before boarding flight. Decided to have the rather tasty chicken marinara with pasta meal served prior to landing, since I had passed the 16hr IF mark.

Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
Slight tangent but have you found fasting on the flight helps with jetlag? I have read that it does and some friends swear by it. Going to try it on my next trip
I do find improvement in jetlag, even after the long transpac flights.

Originally Posted by J.Edward
...Stopped lifting but picked up jogging / running...

I've come to appreciate the salad bar area under the UC at the 80's gate in EWR. That's my go-to when I'm looking to get food for a flight out and a great resource for any UA travelers heading through EWR.
Yes, I also now look for the unglamorous but useful salad bars in lounges. I order from Sfo Yankee Pier restaurant ( Priority Pass) side dishes (stir fry spinach, beans) with salmon or poke bowl. Occasionally I will indulge on their truffle burger + fries (although I eat only half of the fries and half bun).

To improve reaction time and energy-performance while playing tennis, I adjusted 16/8 IF by eating ham&egg sandwich and apple-banana (electrolyte-potassium) mini-meal before tennis, and followed afterwards within 8hr window with full regular meal, and even a serving of ice cream dessert. My near-diabetic glucose levels have dropped, and no seeming downsides to HDL levels and heart health.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: BA - Gold, EK - Gold
Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
Slight tangent but have you found fasting on the flight helps with jetlag? I have read that it does and some friends swear by it. Going to try it on my next trip
yes!!

I read about it as something that CIA operatives did it so they could function on missions.

A lot of Jetlag is to do with your digestive system.

So so what I do is fast for 16hrs before my first breakfast at my destination.

A lot of my travel is from LHR to Australia somewhere.

I did it in my last trip and it really worked. My 3 days of hell where your stomach is in knots after landing was gone ... I managed to eat and sleep better and actually be awake to work during the day.

I really recommend you try it.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Strongly agree with OP, ex-US meals are much worse. I consume nothing but water on most 13 hour flights. Racked up 32 already this year. It's a good habit especialy if you're flying somewhere with much better food.

There's some decent evidence to suggested that fasting during some portion of the day (so that you feel a strong sense of hunger at the next meal) is important for mitochondrial/cellular function and longevity.

Incidentally, I also take Metformin even though I don't have diabetes. Helps with appetite and food choices. And has had a life changing effect on my energy and work stamina as I get older. Though its action on AMP-activated protein kinase, it may also help produce a healthier longer life. Still a little controversial if that will turn out to be true once more data rolls in.

Last edited by dkmatter; Apr 19, 2019 at 6:08 am
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thatflyer

yes!!

I read about it as something that CIA operatives did it so they could function on missions.

I did it in my last trip and it really worked. My 3 days of hell where your stomach is in knots after landing was gone ... I managed to eat and sleep better and actually be awake to work during the day.

Thanks.^
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:43 am

Sometimes You Get to (or have to) Skip a DAY

Originally Posted by npei
Most ex-USA flights have lousy tasting and overly salty food. I find Ex-Asia catering has better tasting and less salty food. There is separate thread on nutrition value of airline food, and many opinions of eat or don’t eat airline food.

As I fly so much over the years, I have suffered nutritionally from bad airline food. For weight control and healthier diet, I now try to eat better at restaurants before-after flight, and have begun intermittent fasting inflight. I have done this on many midcons and 5hr transcons, to a few times 13hr ex-USA transpacific flights. This week I struggled for first time to achieve the 16/8hr intermittent fasting goal on sfo-Singapore flight, but the tasty Singapore food upon arrival really helped me get through.

Anyone out there with similar experience?
Been doing IF for about a year on a 16/8 schedule (only consume calories between 8am-4pm). I find it has greatly improved my digestion and sleep issues but for anybody considering this, it isn't a diet in itself, you still have to control what you eat. I find, I eat just as much as before IF but just within a 8 hour window. The real gain is metabolic.

Since I usually fly coast to coast a couple of times per month, I find that on some days, I just can't make my window and accept that one day here or there isn't a problem but on days when I know I'm not going to be able to stay within my window, I try to limit the damages by knowing what I'm eating which to me means eating before the flight. The food on United Transcon isn't anything special so I skip it and just allow myself a few drinks.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz

Here here. I've come to appreciate the salad bar area under the UC at the 80's gate in EWR. That's my go-to when I'm looking to get food for a flight out and a great resource for any UA travelers heading through EWR.
I hit that salad bar for most of my longer flights. I totally agree it is a good resource and will go out of my way (for example, my gate was in C2 this week) to head there before my flight.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:50 am

Location: EWR and KGL (with occasional home/work trips to NRT/ITM)
Programs: MP MM 1K, Sky Miles, Emirates Gold
While it is not as strict as IF, I used to love the option of low-card food in business when UA had that option.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by npei
Most ex-USA flights have lousy tasting and overly salty food. I find Ex-Asia catering has better tasting and less salty food. There is separate thread on nutrition value of airline food, and many opinions of eat or don’t eat airline food.

As I fly so much over the years, I have suffered nutritionally from bad airline food. For weight control and healthier diet, I now try to eat better at restaurants before-after flight, and have begun intermittent fasting inflight. I have done this on many midcons and 5hr transcons, to a few times 13hr ex-USA transpacific flights. This week I struggled for first time to achieve the 16/8hr intermittent fasting goal on sfo-Singapore flight, but the tasty Singapore food upon arrival really helped me get through.

Anyone out there with similar experience?

Good on you. I haven't been eating on international flights for a couple of years now.

However, I always found that ex-Asia catering, especially from Japan, was poor unless it was in F on NH or SQ.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: CO Gold
Fan of IF. Did a 38-day water fast last year and am closing in on being ~100lbs less than when I started about nine months ago and just finished a 48hr fast a few hours ago. Good stuff. ^

how did you like being on the show 'naked and afraid' :P

yikes 38 days!!!!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thatflyer

yes!!

Hmm that is interesting. I actually had someone tell me that to reduce jetlag "don't eat anything on the plane" but it went in one ear and out the other. But this is all making sense... at least for westbound.

I find that if I'm going east, I'm a mess no matter what, and the issues are not digestive. I'm just tired when I'm supposed to be awake and wide awake when I'm supposed to be asleep. The best eastbound flight I ever had was when I took CX HGK-SFO in Premium Economy, leaving HKG at around 1am. It was comfortable but not THAT comfortable. So I slept for about 4 hours and played video games and watched movies for the rest of the time. I did eat on the plane. I landed in the evening, and when I got home I watched TV for a couple of hours and went to sleep at a relatively normal time. I had only slept for 4 hrs on the plane so I was tired, and I had a pretty good night's sleep. Jetlag was minimal.

Then last time I took that same flight it was in F. I slept very well for most of the flight. The result was that I got home in the late evening and could not sleep, and I was jetlagged for a week. Maybe PE is better than F for that flight

Going TPAC westbound, I find that sleep is not really an issue, but I do find that I have that "stomach in knots" feeling for a few days. This is especially frustrating because my TPAC trips are pleasure (not business) and one of the main reasons I'm there is to eat. (of course I like other stuff too but I go to Asia primarily for the food). I'm going to give this fasting thing a try next time and see if it lets me eat normally when I arrive.

I'm actually just starting keto today as well, because (1) this thread got me thinking about it, (2) my stomach has not been feeling great lately, and (3) I'm a little heavier than I'd like. Keto + steep uphill walking (3mph, 10% grade, 45min, 3x per week) on the treadmill has always been an effortless 2lb of weight loss per week for me (it's actually much better exercise than it sounds like). I may mix in some fasting and see what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.