Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Intermittent Fasting Strategies / Better Nutrition for United Inflight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm

Most ex-USA flights have lousy tasting and overly salty food. I find Ex-Asia catering has better tasting and less salty food. There is separate thread on nutrition value of airline food, and many opinions of eat or don’t eat airline food.

As I fly so much over the years, I have suffered nutritionally from bad airline food. For weight control and healthier diet, I now try to eat better at restaurants before-after flight, and have begun intermittent fasting inflight. I have done this on many midcons and 5hr transcons, to a few times 13hr ex-USA transpacific flights. This week I struggled for first time to achieve the 16/8hr intermittent fasting goal on sfo-Singapore flight, but the tasty Singapore food upon arrival really helped me get through.

Anyone out there with similar experience?

ContinentalFan and ysolde like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:04 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by npei
Fan of IF. Did a 38-day water fast last year and am closing in on being ~100lbs less than when I started about nine months ago and just finished a 48hr fast a few hours ago. Good stuff. ^

Depending on how long a fast I'm doing I'll back into what, if any, food I'll eat onboard. If I am eating onboard my preference is to either pick up veggies or legumes (e.g. beans) from a restaurant at the airport. Yankee Pier + Priority Pass is a good example of this and the last time I flew to HKG ex SFO I had two sides of black beans, two sides of spinach, and one side of their Brussels sprouts. If I'm fasting I'll aim to take Keto drops or SnakeJuice concentrate with me and mix it in with a bottle of water post-security.

Another useful trick is to request vegan/raw-veg special meals. Generally, it's just a pile of veggies or something similar and is a welcome change to the normal fare UA passes off - again assuming you're eating.

Domestically it's the same. If I'm hungry in flight I'll opt for the Tapas, eat the almonds/humas/craker things and then give the rest to the crew. If not, I'll just stick to my water + electrolytes.
Boofer, kingalien, EWR764 and 8 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Fan of IF. Did a 38-day water fast last year and am closing in on being ~100lbs less than when I started about nine months ago and just finished a 48hr fast a few hours ago. Good stuff. ^
congrats and well done!!! 👍 👍
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Sorry, I'm not familiar with this. You went 38-days withing drinking any water and 48hrs without eating any food? How did you survive that long without becoming dehydrated and under nourished? Also, doesn't that make it really easy to over-eat afterwards and gain back the weight?
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by eng3
Sorry, I'm not familiar with this. You went 38-days withing drinking any water and 48hrs without eating any food? How did you survive that long without becoming dehydrated and under nourished? Also, doesn't that make it really easy to over-eat afterwards and gain back the weight?
I believe "water fast" in this sense refers to ONLY drinking water without food intake, not the opposite.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:06 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with this. You went 38-days withing drinking any water and 48hrs without eating any food?
38 days without eating anything, still drank water with fasting drops. Since then I'll do 24-72 hour fasts regularly as I've still not quite at my target.
How did you survive that long without becoming dehydrated and undernourished?
Still drank water with fasting drops (i.e. water with added sodium and potassium plus a little magnesium) but yes, no food, zip, nadda, nothing beyond that.

Found several things:
1. I kicked a food addiction and rebalanced how I view eating (my big - no pun intended - problem was what I wanted to eat was not what I should be eating. The long fast meant when I did start eating again good-for-you food I once thought was boring suddenly tasted amazing and what I use to eat strikes me now as sickeningly sweet);

2. Figuring out how to place myself in sustainable ketosis and then take myself safely out of it;

3. Weight loss became incredibly easy and discounting the initial water weight loss/gain back (~8lbs for me as a 6' mid-thirties male) I lost ~1.14lbs a day during deep ketosis and ~˝lb daily if I'm doing OMAD...your body's actually really good at healing itself if you can just give it a chance;

4. Became a closeted vegan - I'll still eat cheese from time to time and meat on rare occasion, but as I mentioned in my 1st point I've discovered I really like (roast) vegetables, legumes (black / kidney / navy / pinto / garbanzo beans), and nuts.
Think about it like this: before we had civilization our ancestors would go long periods of time without food, right? Fasting is normal for us as a species, we've just seem to forget that it is. Moreover, we still retain this fasting genetic legacy today and can still access its benefits.

What's not normal is the stuff we assume that is: being fed constantly, eating "processed' food designed to hit all the high notes and make us feel good while also bypassing all the bodies normal satiation mechanisms. Fiber stripped, sugar bombed, hormone riddled, GMO perverted, cancer-promoting, pleasure-inducing orgastic "food" had me - and I fear many others - addicted to poison masquerading as nutrition. Going cold turkey for 38 days helped me heal the damage I had done to myself, rebalance my food pleasure center dynamic, kick the sugar addiction, and rebuild the foundation of how I view food...and this is the answer to your last question:
Also, doesn't that make it really easy to over-eat afterward and gain back the weight?
The CORE issue for me was a dysfunctional relationship with food. I wanted to eat what I should not eat and did not want to eat what I should eat. As long as this dynamic remained in play, I'd always lose. Changing this broken dynamic to "wanting to eat what I should eat" was the key philosophical adjustment that laid the foundation for a new sustainable relationship vs the old broken one.

If you're interested in knowing more the book I read that got me started on it was
The Pleasure Trap"><span style=The Pleasure Trap" /> The Pleasure Trap">The Pleasure Trap
and as well as a smattering of YT videos and 4ch/fit threads. Always happy to share my story with the hope it may help others but since the topic of this thread really should be IF / better nutrition as it pertains to UA, let's try to stick to that and if you've got more questions on fasting in general please feel free to shoot me a PM.
Miggles, ContinentalFan and narvik like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
38 days without eating anything, still drank water with fasting drops. Since then I'll do 24-72 hour fasts regularly as I've still not quite at my target.Still drank water with fasting drops (i.e. water with added sodium and potassium plus a little magnesium) but yes, no food, zip, nadda, nothing beyond that.
Although I never went quite THAT long, the water-only-fast is easier than it may appear initially to someone who never experienced it. The first day or two were the hardest for me. After that it was smooth sailing, and quite enlightening, actually.

To bring this back to the United forum: with current cutbacks, and meal-quality decreases, the idea of a water-only-fast seems more and more appealing once again!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:35 am

I've been doing a Bulletproof coffee Keto with IF for several months. Resisting the crappy food in the lounges is my biggest issue I travel with Keto friendly snacks that get me through the flights as well as Bulletproof coffee mix that I can add to my onboard coffee. (I carry my own travel mug) Managed to loose 50 pounds in 6 months.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by sdix
I've been doing a Bulletproof coffee Keto with IF for several months. Resisting the crappy food in the lounges is my biggest issue I travel with Keto friendly snacks that get me through the flights as well as Bulletproof coffee mix that I can add to my onboard coffee. (I carry my own travel mug) Managed to loose 50 pounds in 6 months.
Well done ^

My go to in the PL lounge are the tomatoes from the Caprese salad. Always feel slightly guilty about leaving a small mound of mozzarella balls behind but after a glass or two of the Prisoner or SLH I seem to get over it. Also, I will say the mushroom polenta I had last time in the EWR PL was good too.

Again let me call out the special meals on UA, particularly the raw-vegan or raw-vegetarian ones. Good alternative.

Likewise, check out the sides out restaurants too if you don't trust UA's catering. If you're just looking for something simple (veggies, beans) you can generally find some solid options there.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
If I'm fasting I'll aim to take Keto drops or SnakeJuice concentrate with me and mix it in with a bottle of water post-security.
Is SnakeJuice related to snake oil?
cur, yytleisure and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Plat
Personally I think the food is the best part of air travel. There's nothing like dining at 30000 ft!

In my personal life, I actually end up IFing a few days a week since I skip breakfast and lunch and sometimes work til 9 PM (eat dinner at 9:30 PM). So that works out to be about 24 hours total. I don't really get hungry since I'm so busy. I haven't noticed any benefits (energy, weight loss, etc.) aside from saving the time that would have been spent eating. lol
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:00 am

38 days without eating anything, still drank water with fasting drops. Since then I'll do 24-72 hour fasts regularly as I've still not quite at my target.Still drank water with fasting drops (i.e. water with added sodium and potassium plus a little magnesium) but yes, no food, zip, nadda, nothing beyond that.
Do you still exercise as normal? What happens to your blood sugar levels?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:33 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
When doing every week PDX-PVG ( PDX-SFO-PVG, PVG-LAX-PDX ) always went in with good well balanced meal before departure and a stop at the market for a good carry-on snack. Agreed that Economy food is worse than dog food and business/first while tasty looking and maybe tasty to some equally unhealthy, amazed at the lack of health and fitness I saw on those flights mostly skewed to westerns and have my own theory of why that is, LOL

Once arrived always religiously up at 4am for exercise and early to bed , two years 50 trip, and in better shape then when I started.

Diet w/o exercise is only one half of the health equation, exercie w/o diet is equally not balanced nor really healthy. Once can be fit and not healthy and vice versa, best to be both fit and healthy and diet and exercise are both required.

I see fasting as probably an interesting and required for some medical, but beyond that a fasting for days while interesting, not required for health. I'm a believer that as part of evolution we've developed the capability to live on little to nothing, but in those days we didn't have the schedule or used our bodies and brains we do know, skeptical long term fasting with just liquids is a optimum choice for health living in today's crazy world lifestyle, especially if one is traveling as a road warrior or vacation, nothing could be worse than the double shock of travel and shocking your whole energy processing system.

Last edited by chipmaster; Apr 18, 2019 at 11:45 am
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
Do you still exercise as normal? What happens to your blood sugar levels?
The real concern would be sodium levels and electrolytes.

I've done this (though not for 38 days) and I'd just eat a little bit of salt.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by npei
Most ex-USA flights have lousy tasting and overly salty food. I find Ex-Asia catering has better tasting and less salty food. There is separate thread on nutrition value of airline food, and many opinions of eat or don’t eat airline food.

As I fly so much over the years, I have suffered nutritionally from bad airline food. For weight control and healthier diet, I now try to eat better at restaurants before-after flight, and have begun intermittent fasting inflight. I have done this on many midcons and 5hr transcons, to a few times 13hr ex-USA transpacific flights. This week I struggled for first time to achieve the 16/8hr intermittent fasting goal on sfo-Singapore flight, but the tasty Singapore food upon arrival really helped me get through.

Slight tangent but have you found fasting on the flight helps with jetlag? I have read that it does and some friends swear by it. Going to try it on my next trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.