Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Award Travel Offers (post Nov 2019) - Dynamic Award "deals"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Award Travel Offers (post Nov 2019) - Dynamic Award "deals"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glbltvlr
No. There are two charts (Every Day and Saver) through November. What he's saying is that when you are looking a multi segment trip, the web site prices the trip at the every day rate unless saver space is available on all segments. It may be possible to get a hybrid rate if you look at each segment individually.
This. If I'm flying AUS-IAH-TPE-HKG in business on a mixed UA/BR itinerary, and AUS-IAH is available in saver space, it'll price at 90K. AUS-IAH might be in economy, but as long as it's saver, I'll get the 90K price. But if there's no saver availability, the award goes to the 180K (or lower, but, in practice, 180K) Everyday price. If I book it as AUS-IAH (32.5K) + IAH-TPE-HKG (90K), it's a big savings.

Prior to two weeks ago, the values in the charts were caps. In practice, the saver award space didn't ever drop until about a month ago when they added the 5K/6K/8K awards on some saver routes. The everyday space would move around between the cap and the saver award, but it was rare to ever see business class move down off of the cap. Economy, it happened frequently.

Post-11/15, no chart, no caps,, and an expectation that the average redemption cost will go way up.
glbltvlr likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
... If I book it as AUS-IAH (32.5K) + IAH-TPE-HKG (90K), it's a big savings.
Yes multiple city is a way to mix Saver and Everyday ( that is somewhat new and seems to be related to the same change that priced manually build options as multi-awards and not a single award). So a partially benefit out of the previous downgrade.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Back to the topic at hand, has anyone discovered any deals from the "enhanced" award booking system they'd like to share (i.e. below the saver rates)? Also would love to hear any insights people have on finding these "deals". No doubt UA will make changes over time but I still think it is worth it for the community to be United on this one working to find deals while we still have a chance!

-James
t1c and getagb like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Thread containing post Nov 2019 award deals

Is there a thread started containing award deals post Nov 2019 (when dynamic awards hit). Thought I saw one at one time....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 9, 2019 at 11:10 pm Reason: Moved to desired thread
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I found an amazing "deal".

YVR-LAX 08 May 2020
non-stop on UA
Business Class 50K
Coach is only 65K!
abaheti likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
UA Mileage Plus ... where is your gun?

Just searched my first flights using miles since the change to dynamic pricing for miles. Ridiculous! The prices are at least 75%-100% higher now for three different routes I have checked. If you want to book a connection instead of a direct it is only 50% more.

Big turn off and not happy with this change.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by schley
Just searched my first flights using miles since the change to dynamic pricing for miles. Ridiculous! The prices are at least 75%-100% higher now for three different routes I have checked. If you want to book a connection instead of a direct it is only 50% more.

Hmmm...I was just able to book two Saver Business awards (70K each) for SFO-FCO. No problem.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by schley

Are you comparing to saver prices or standard prices?

Hard to compare since there's no "norm" for if saver or standard is available for a route.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mduell
Are you comparing to saver prices or standard prices?

Hard to compare since there's no "norm" for if saver or standard is available for a route.
Saver price I'm comparing it to. Also this price used to be 7,500 for one of the routes as it is under 750 miles, now it is 21-25k one way.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
United MileagePlus Devaluation Database

The devaluations have begun, so perhaps we should develop database documenting the impact. I'll start by sharing the following, and suggesting a format:

Route: HNL-NRT
RT/OW/MC: OW
Pre-Devaluation Award Type: Business Everyday
Pre-Devaluation Award Rate: 110 K
Post-Devaluation Award Rate: 270 K
Post-Devaluation Sample Date(s): June 7-10, 2020
Devaluation Rate Increase: 145%

Last edited by 747FC; Jul 9, 2019 at 2:24 am
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Route: IAH/LAX/SFO-MEL/SYD
Pre-Devaluation Award Rate: 200 K
Post-Devaluation Award Rate: 360 K
Post-Devaluation Sample Date(s): Various starting Mid-December. Mainly FrSaSu deparures.
Devaluation Rate Increase: 80%
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:16 pm

Did Route: HNL-LHR
RT/OW/MC: OW
Pre-Devaluation Award Rate: 165 K
Post-Devaluation Award Rate: 250 K
Post-Devaluation Sample Date(s): June 11-14, 2020
Devaluation Rate Increase: 52%

Note: On some dates, I see some of the itinerary options including both 165 or 250, for itineraries with similar total travel times.

Last edited by 747FC; Jul 13, 2019 at 6:43 pm
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Data point

Interesting data point. I was searching for a specific flight from Europe to NYC. In all the weeks leading up to it the transatlantic segment was pricing out at 70k miles in coach. The flight was about 70% full judging by the seat map. Just 24 hours before the flight, the price dropped to the saver award level of 30k miles.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Interesting data point. I was searching for a specific flight from Europe to NYC. In all the weeks leading up to it the transatlantic segment was pricing out at 70k miles in coach. The flight was about 70% full judging by the seat map. Just 24 hours before the flight, the price dropped to the saver award level of 30k miles.
Interesting data point, but this thread is about dynamic award pricing, which is scheduled to implemented during November.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So any search we find now for after November still won't show the dynamic charts yet?

The same flights after November might be higher?

I've found some Saver awards to Australia for mid November to early December and again in early January.

Book them now or they will likely go way up after November, probably never find a 160k Polaris round-trip to Australia/New Zealand after the dynamic pricing goes in effect?

Of course these awards are hard to get as it is -- though some people report success in getting upgrades sometimes in off-peak season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.