Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FYI - AC YVR-DEL not bookable with UA miles

Old Apr 17, 19, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MR Plat, HH Diamond

I don't think it's UA's fault - Aeroplan shows plenty of space in early June but it doesn't show up on ANA or Avianca either. I had always thought Aeroplan award space on AC was consistent with what other *A airlines get (maybe I'm wrong?).

Anyway, UA 1K desk claims there is some internal notice about both awards and revenue tix on AC flights to DEL being blocked because of India/Pakistan airspace issues. They asked me to check back on or after May 9, which I guess is the date mentioned in their internal notice.

As far as I know, AC has not canceled YVR-DEL (polar route so doesn't fly over Pakistan) even though they have canceled YYZ-DEL, but I'm not sure why award space is being blocked to partners and not to Aeroplan - if the YVR-DEL flights were so full from reaccommodating YYZ-DEL pax, then one would think that there would be no award space for Aeroplan members either.

Anyway, I UA can book AC flights between the US and Canada FWIW.
Old Apr 17, 19, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Aeroplan has (and always had) access to much more Air Canada inventory than partners. There is actually a contractual number between the two.

This is by no means route specific.
Old Apr 17, 19, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
While award space doesn't change between one partner and a different partner, lots of examples of carriers allotting more space to their home program than to partners. Sounds exactly like what is happening here (with the minor detail that Aeroplan isn't actually run by Air Canada, but for all intents and purposes in this case, its their home program).
Old Apr 17, 19, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MR Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Aeroplan has (and always had) access to much more Air Canada inventory than partners. There is actually a contractual number between the two.

This is by no means route specific.
Thanks, I had no idea. I did try to search if that was the case but couldn't find anything...

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
While award space doesn't change between one partner and a different partner, lots of examples of carriers allotting more space to their home program than to partners. Sounds exactly like what is happening here (with the minor detail that Aeroplan isn't actually run by Air Canada, but for all intents and purposes in this case, its their home program).
Yeah, I wondered about that but figured since Aeroplan was not operated by AC, they would get access to the same space as other *A partners. I guess I was wrong.
Old Apr 17, 19, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
I am finding plenty of award space YVR-DEL, even in business. This route is clearly available for bookings w/ UA miles.