Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight path: IAD-PEK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
A friend who used to fly those routes told me they never fly right over it, but always a few miles offset. Concern is that at the pole all lines of longitude converge, so it could confuse the nav systems -- even though they're programmed and tested for it, don't want to take a risk.
It's not a "concern" or about "taking a risk". The airplane will have a limitation on the maximum latitude at which you can operate. I don't know what it is on the 777 but they do get within about 60 nm of the pole. At that point their FMS is navigating based on true north, not magnetic.

The 737, as an example, is limited to between N82 and S82. There are some exceptions where the latitude limits are reduced to N70 or S60. The poles, of course, are N90 and S90.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Above 78N (or below 60S) you also have the 14 CFR 121 appendix P section 3 requirements, so if you're not going there much it may not be worth the hassle.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
Above 78N (or below 60S) you also have the 14 CFR 121 appendix P section 3 requirements, so if you're not going there much it may not be worth the hassle.
(7) A plan for mitigating crew exposure to radiation during solar flare activity.

Like what, line the cockpit with lead?

(8) A plan for providing at least two cold weather anti-exposure suits in the aircraft, to protect crewmembers during outside activity at a diversion airport with extreme climatic conditions.

Never heard of this before. I want to see what these look like.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I don't know if UA aircraft are so equipped but with ETOPS 330 capability of later 777 and 787s no place in the northern hemisphere is off-limits.
Aviation enthusiasts are usually familiar with the diversion airports supporting the Atlantic routes at Gander and other places, and from time to time, we read about planes making unplanned landings there.

Every time I fly on the polar routes, I wonder what the equivalent diversion airports are for those far northerly routes, and how often they are used. I had one ORD-PEK flight turn around and go back to ORD about three hours in, but I don't think I've ever read about a plane diverting to some airport in Siberia or other remote locale. Are the transpac aircraft so reliable that these diversions are incredibly rare? Or have I just missed hearing about them?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by GregoryGardner
Aviation enthusiasts are usually familiar with the diversion airports supporting the Atlantic routes at Gander and other places, and from time to time, we read about planes making unplanned landings there.

Every time I fly on the polar routes, I wonder what the equivalent diversion airports are for those far northerly routes, and how often they are used. I had one ORD-PEK flight turn around and go back to ORD about three hours in, but I don't think I've ever read about a plane diverting to some airport in Siberia or other remote locale. Are the transpac aircraft so reliable that these diversions are incredibly rare? Or have I just missed hearing about them?
I don't know if they have been used, but there are definitely several diversion airports in northeastern Russia designated for polar routes.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Lots of flights take polar routes -- I remember a brilliant view of the pole from a EWR-HKG flight once, on a sparkling clear day (when other pax, were scowling coz i had my shade open to see... In mid afternoon).

A friend who used to fly those routes told me they never fly right over it, but always a few miles offset. Concern is that at the pole all lines of longitude converge, so it could confuse the nav systems -- even though they're programmed and tested for it, don't want to take a risk.
Plus the North Pole is migrating by around 33 miles per year. Read about it here. Flying over it isn’t a big deal.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Plus the North Pole is migrating by around 33 miles per year. Read about it here. Flying over it isn’t a big deal.
That's the wrong North Pole (magnetic). We're talking about the actual North Pole (true, N90 latitude).
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Plus the North Pole is migrating by around 33 miles per year. ....
The North Pole isn't moving but the Magnetic North Pole is always moving.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: united

Did anyone inform Santa?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I don't know if they have been used, but there are definitely several diversion airports in northeastern Russia designated for polar routes.
And of course Alaska has some.

I think diversions are rare. There are, what, three basic reasons for a diversion: 1) weather; 2) passenger illness; 3) mechanical difficulties? There aren't a lot of thunderstorms near the pole, and the routes plan around any heavy winds. Passenger illness of course can happen, but diverting to Siberia probably isn't a better solution - so a diversion is going to be to a more metropolitan area. And for mechanical difficulties, those seem to be infrequent and tend to be identified earlier in a flight than when the reach the pole, so again, can return or land before dealing with Siberia.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
Thanks for responses!

From OP: Wow! I asked a question about something I was curious about and learned all kinds of new things! Thanks to everyone who responded. Lots of very interesting stuff here.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
And of course Alaska has some.

I think diversions are rare. There are, what, three basic reasons for a diversion: 1) weather; 2) passenger illness; 3) mechanical difficulties? There aren't a lot of thunderstorms near the pole, and the routes plan around any heavy winds. Passenger illness of course can happen, but diverting to Siberia probably isn't a better solution - so a diversion is going to be to a more metropolitan area. And for mechanical difficulties, those seem to be infrequent and tend to be identified earlier in a flight than when the reach the pole, so again, can return or land before dealing with Siberia.
Has any polar-route United flight ever diverted to a non-North American remote airport? A quick googling reports flights from other countries diverting to Siberia, but not any us-flagged carriers (yet).
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:00 pm

I found out the limitation on the B777.

It can go as far north as N8930 latitude (89.5 degrees). That's 35 miles from the pole.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.