Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Nutritional Information on United food

Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Nutritional Information on United food

Does anyone know if there is any Nutritional Information for the prepared foods from UA? (Bistro on board, F meals, J meals, UC, Polaris Lounge)

I've started to try and eat healthier and tracking what I eat (mostly saturated fat, sodium, etc). I've noticed that things like that can very greatly in different versions of the same food. It's easy at home, but with the constant travel (on board and in restaurants) it can be difficult.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
The coach burger's wrapping contains a long list of ingredients. Reading it may make you forego eating the thing.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
Does anyone know if there is any Nutritional Information for the prepared foods from UA? (Bistro on board, F meals, J meals, UC, Polaris Lounge)

I've started to try and eat healthier and tracking what I eat (mostly saturated fat, sodium, etc). I've noticed that things like that can very greatly in different versions of the same food. It's easy at home, but with the constant travel (on board and in restaurants) it can be difficult.
You really don't want to know the nutritional information of what's on board. A couple months ago I flew with ANA to Singapore and was presented with a menu card to order from. The menu card listed the nutritional values of each option and all of them had a calorie intake of at least 1000 kcal! That coming from a Japanese airline that you would expect would be health conscious. If I were you, I would order a special meal on those flights that provide meals (preferably a vegetarian option) and avoid the buy on board stuff. Depending on where you are leaving from you may also want to try and pick something up from the airport, identifying first the healthy restaurants to patronize.

Safe Travels,

James
zymm, EWR764, nancypants and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Yeah, nothing you get on a plane is going to be health food. Some things you can eyeball reasonably well, like cheese. In general cheese is around 100 kcal/oz and an oz is about a cubic inch. Otherwise, you might be able to find similar dishes from popular dining chains on Fitpal and they should be roughly equivalent, since popular chains are going to put in all the extra delicious fat and sugar that make a food have 'flavor' at altitude.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I would be much more interested in getting a list of allergens in the food served... especially the foods served in F.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I would be much more interested in getting a list of allergens in the food served... especially the foods served in F.
Snap but they cant even do that when operating from countries where such labelling is mandatory. I once got given by UA a wheat biscuit as part of a gluten free meal!

Essentially, UA is completely uninterested in food and I suspect most of its customers are too.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
There used to be an annual study that contacted all the airlines requesting nutritional information, but I don't think it's been updated in about a year and a half. United wasn't tops. Annual Airline Food Investigation 2017-18 - Diet DetectiveDiet Detective

Edit: There IS an updated version: http://www.dietdetective.com/airline...ation-2018-19/
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:28 pm

It would be great to see the usual nutritional information, especially things like calories and carbs.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Does anyone know if there is any Nutritional Information for the prepared foods from UA? ....
Originally Posted by LordHamster
UA's Choice Menu allergens and ingredients
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Fantastic! Thanks. My son has an egg allergy, knowing this is very helpful.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
No matter what class I am in, I usually eat about 1/2 of the courses served. In international C/F I often skip some of the courses. With such long flights and no where to work out, the calories have no where to go but my tuchus!

(That said, I really try to work out either before or after the flight. I also make sure that I use stairs rather than escalators and that I walk the corridors rather than stand on moving sidewalks).
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70
(That said, I really try to work out either before or after the flight. I also make sure that I use stairs rather than escalators and that I walk the corridors rather than stand on moving sidewalks).
I'm surprised you don't work out during the flight:

No word yet from UA on whether pull up bars can be used in the lav to maintain 24 pack abs

-James
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I would love to get a calorie count on the cinnamon rolls!
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:44 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
If you're focused on your health and traveling on the road a lot, you might as well only seek out those restaurants or stores that actively tell you exactly what the ingredients are and make healthful options an active part of their style of cooking.

Nothing in normal restaurants or airlines, etc. will be healthy. People rate these things on taste, and taste comes from salt, fat, carbs, sugar. Restaurants and airlines want people to rate them highly, so that is what you're going to get.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by TA
If you're focused on your health and traveling on the road a lot, you might as well only seek out those restaurants or stores that actively tell you exactly what the ingredients are and make healthful options an active part of their style of cooking.
It also might be helpful to seriously consider the hotels you are staying at. Some hotels and chains have programmes in place where you can order groceries to be sent to your door (i.e. Residence Inn and Hilton's Homewood Suites) Another option might be online grocery stores like InstaCart, Amazon Fresh and Tesco.

Safe Travels,

James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.