Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Nutritional Information on United food

Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I don’t think I’d want to know the nutritional information of any airline food, or I’d never eat anything while flying
SS255 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I would be much more interested in getting a list of allergens in the food served... especially the foods served in F.
I would never trust airline catering (or even FAs) with preventing cross-contamination. Accidental cross-contamination on the ground is one thing; I would never want to risk it when a few miles above the ground.

Originally Posted by LordHamster
Fantastic! Thanks. My son has an egg allergy, knowing this is very helpful.
So does Miss Swede -- with the added bonus that she's allergic to sesame so she can't even have the Mezze plate. We'll just continue to brown bag it for her on flights. We have also purchased snack boxes in the past.

(Yes, we are one of those families that ask to pre-board to wipe down seats due to peanut allergies. We also ask people in neighboring seats to refrain from eating peanuts and tree nuts. We also offer a multitude of comparable snacks to those affected, as well as offer to purchase a BoB snack box if necessary.)

Last edited by pseudoswede; Apr 17, 2019 at 9:22 am
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I would never trust airline catering (or even FAs) with preventing cross-contamination. Accidental cross-contamination on the ground is one thing; it can pose much more risks when a few miles in the air.

So does Miss Swede -- with the added bonus that she's allergic to sesame so she can't even have the Mezze plate. We'll just continue to brown bag it for her on flights. We have also purchased snack boxes in the past.
What drives me nuts is the gratuitous use of Egg in products that REALLY don't need it. The Cheeseburger. Does the in-flight burger really benefit from being on a "brioche" bun rather than a regular or pretzel bun? Or the chicken / bacon wrap... why not put the damned Ranch on the side rather than INTO the wrap. Would seem to be better for the calorie conscious as well.

Luckily for my son, X-contamination is generally not a major issue for him (nothing Benadryl won't fix) provided there aren't "chunks" of egg falling into his food. A simple shared surface or unwashed hand isn't life threatening to him (thank goodness).
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:52 am

The law requiring chains to post calories and other info recently went into effect (after an extensive delay by the current admin). I wonder how airlines were written into the law? A big point of contention was bowling alleys and movie theaters.
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by eng3
Nutritional Information on United food
There's nutritional value in United's food?

David
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: None at this time
United food nutrition

When you book your tickets, you have an option of preordering your meals. Especially for international flights. I usually hit the Priority Pass restaurants and eat before I travel. If I have time, I would get a Thai chicken pad see eew and eat that on the plane. The crew are sometimes are nice enough to warm it up for me.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jay Son
When you book your tickets, you have an option of preordering your meals. ..
No generally on UA. You can "preselect" a generic selection of "special meals"
Some other airlines offer preordered inflight meal, but so far not UA.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I'm surprised you don't work out during the flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv7enzI7Yq8

No word yet from UA on whether pull up bars can be used in the lav to maintain 24 pack abs

-James
With the new slim line bathrooms, I'm certain you could get significant isometric exercise just trying to squeeze into them

I guess that if you are really concerned about calories, don't eat everything that is put in front of you. I am certain that everyone here is smart enough to know what is or isn't calorie or sodium rich.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Airline food is basically a couple of binary choices. Eat or don't. Taste or don't taste.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jay Son
When you book your tickets, you have an option of preordering your meals. Especially for international flights. ...
Thanks for the laugh, I needed that. The "enhanced" business class meals on UA are quickly becoming known as Hungry Man meals in the FA ranks. And no, you can't preorder a meal on United.

Time to throw the Hungry Man's in the oven.

Welcome to FT by the way.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
UA hot food is generally too salty and often inedible. BOB burgers are exception. I now try to eat better at restaurants before-after flight. I often find myself with inflight intermittent fasting situations for the many instances of lousy food. I have often done intermittent fasting from 5hr transcons, to a few times 13hr ex-USA transpacific flights. This week I struggled for first time to achieve the 16/8hr intermittent fasting goal on sfo-Singapore flight, but the tasty Singapore food upon arrival really helped me get through.

I find ex-Asia catering have less salty and better tasting food, but can’t be sure if more nutritious than ex-USA catering.

Last edited by npei; Apr 17, 2019 at 9:31 pm
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
The salad dressing (pomegranate acai) sounds healthy but I won't be surprised if it's loaded with additives and sugar...
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bdw1120
The salad dressing (pomegranate acai) sounds healthy but I won't be surprised if it's loaded with additives and sugar...
Tasting it certainly leads one to think it’s a sugar bomb. Wasn’t there endless complaining about the previous olive oil/balsamic bottles here on FT?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed

Tasting it certainly leads one to think it’s a sugar bomb. Wasn’t there endless complaining about the previous olive oil/balsamic bottles here on FT?
Please, please, please bring the oil and vinegar back. The pomegranate dressing ingredient list is massive, mostly unpronounceable and full of chemicals. It’s also far too sweet for my taste.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:26 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by SFOdelayed

If you are talking about the mini bottles that were almost impossible to open at first, they were back on my SIN-SFO flight last Sunday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.