Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA78 NRT-EWR (16 April 2019) -- Skipped 2nd Meal Service due to turbulence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA78 NRT-EWR (16 April 2019) -- Skipped 2nd Meal Service due to turbulence

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kenn0223
OP Here -- I did not seek out additional compensation. I ate in the Polaris club in EWR and made a note to book future travel on DL/KE for this route.
You might try NH. Great service, excellent (and abundant) food.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:46 pm

I've received a meal voucher when in business after reaching out (wasn't any notable premier status at the time, silver or gold I believe) Not sure if anyone in economy got the same
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kenn0223
This was really driven home by the fact the seatbelt sign was off for the last 90 minutes or so before we started decent.
I wasn't there but would just point out that even if they knew for a fact that turbulence would cease and they could turn off the seatbelt sign at descent-90 minutes, it would have been a rush job to heat the meals, serve them, and clear out the trash before descent. There is a HUGE tendency by some here on FT to assume the FAs are motivated by laziness or selfishness. While there are always bad apples, I have very rarely encountered rude or lazy cabin crew and have noticed quite often that the passengers rarely have the full picture of what's going on.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I wasn't there but would just point out that even if they knew for a fact that turbulence would cease and they could turn off the seatbelt sign at descent-90 minutes, it would have been a rush job to heat the meals, serve them, and clear out the trash before descent. ...
Really? In 90 minutes they can't serve the second meal service, which usually is quite modest.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
This thread is a great example of why conspiracy theories are so popular in the U.S. Reject the benign explanation (turbulence really was expected) and presume the nefarious one (lazy crew). Unless cancelling the second meal becomes statistically widespread (i.e., not the occasional anecdote), move on.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Again, meal service has nothing to do with climb out or approach. It has to be cruise.

A while ago I was in touch with somebody on board SFO-PVG (789) and severe turbulence was forecast off the coast 1-2 hours out (i.e. meal time). The sev turb was forecast for something like FL280-FL360, and the pilots actually climbed to FL380 so meal service could be conducted. (It's unusual for the initial part of a medium/long-haul flight to fly that high due to density vs. economy.)

I'd be surprise if the area/altitudes of sev turb could not be avoided horizontally or vertically, especially 1-2 hours into/before landing, and especially up in Canadian airspace.
I made no mention of meal service in my quote. I just stated that the last few weeks the arrivals into EWR, even 100s of miles out, are being impacted by the turbulence.

Since most STARs have designated altitudes (at or above/below), there is a lot less deviation unless requested.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by dilanesp
It is NOT a service failure to not receive food on a flight for safety reasons. Food is NOT that important. I have never been to a destination city that did not have it available.

You have to Wade thru immigration after an international flight and then baggage claim, before getting access to food.
gcashin and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:52 pm

monday morning quarterbacking & hindsight are always 20/20

capt made a judgement call.

if severe enough turbulence did occur & pax or crewmember got hurt, then the sharks would be smelling blood in the water.

so much angst on this board.
764toHI and dilanesp like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by featheroleather

if severe enough turbulence did occur & pax or crewmember got hurt, then the sharks would be smelling blood in the water.

Well Said...
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by featheroleather

There is no evidence the captain instructed the crew to remain seated for this entire period of time - according to the OP, it was the purser who decided to cancel meal service, which is in contrast to what most of the rest of us have experienced given similar circumstances.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This assumes anyone from UA is actually monitoring this forum and looking for service issues that warrant further investigation - however it really appears to us that no one from United really cares at all.

They probably are monitoring the forum looking for customers to single out for audits and other actions to terminate MP accounts or customer relationships - but doing anything to help improve service delivery or product? I can only picture Kirby coming here for a self-congratulatory laugh, but that's it.
UAL Corp. Security does monitor FT, FB, Twitter, A.Net, and Reddit (that I know of). UA_Insider made a post on here not too long ago for the first time in a while.

Plenty of UAL Employees browse the forum outside of work. Some post, others don't. But the name "FlyerTalk" is not unknown in offices and onboard.

Originally Posted by dilanesp
P.S.: I do agree they should have apologized when the turbulence didn't materialize.
Wholeheartedly agree. A personal apology at each seat would have gone a long way, I think.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
There is no evidence the captain instructed the crew to remain seated for this entire period of time - according to the OP, it was the purser who decided to cancel meal service, which is in contrast to what most of the rest of us have experienced given similar circumstances.
I believe OP mentioned a PA from the flight deck as well as the purser.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:23 pm

United is the worst airline in the world, yet I have 30,000 posts about it.

Like Herb Kelleher’s response to a pax who wrote complaints about Southwest every week:

“Dear Miss Crabappple, we will miss you.”-

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me every time I fly, I guess i’m a glutten for punishment.

Would an apology announcement really have assuaged those feeling so hurt by this outrage ???
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA-Gold; 1MM
Originally Posted by cricketer
What I don't get is why they couldn't have heated the meals anyway. Not like they get preserved for another flight if they aren't heated (I hope!). Even having not done that, they could have served the unheated meal components. Seems pretty iffy on the surface.
Right, it's not preserved for another flight. Food and trash/waste on international flights is always incinerated (or sanitized prior to transit to a landfill) to avoid transmitting pests/diseases. Had the crew heated the entrees, then kept them warm, the smell of cooked food during a cancelled meal service would have meant far too many questions from the passengers if they were not able to resume/start service.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Even having not done that, they could have served the unheated meal components.
This. Why couldn't they have left snack baskets at the door for people to get as they got off the plane? Just ridiculous for such a long flight
Old May 21, 2019, 6:42 pm

No meal service due to Turbulence that never happend

Was on a DL flight this morning JFK-FLL.
Captain came on about 30 mins into the flight and said He was expecting a turbulent flight, therefore, the service would be either non existent or reduced greatly.
He apologized for the inconvenience.
Long story short, there was no turbulence, and maybe an hour later, the FA came around with cups of water.
I was seated in comfort plus, right behind first class, and they got the same thing.
On a 2 1/2 hour flight, I couldn’t care less but, I was amazed at all the people complaining.
As we made it to the bottom of Georgia-Florida border, he shut off the seat belt light.
I told the FA that probably catering didn’t make it in time but, she said the flight had catering on board.
She said in briefing, they told the crew it was going to be fairly turbulent.
I looked at the weather maps and the turbulence maps for the morning, and I didn’t see anything except for a bit of light, by the bottom on NJ.
Guess they must have heard otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.