Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA78 NRT-EWR (16 April 2019) -- Skipped 2nd Meal Service due to turbulence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA78 NRT-EWR (16 April 2019) -- Skipped 2nd Meal Service due to turbulence

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by narvik
I'm probably in the minority but I actually enjoy the pre-arrival "breakfast" served at 2 or 3pm, especially if it's catered ex-USA and of the tasty Southwest variety.
It offers plenty variety with the egg, potatoes, etc. and is light enough with the additional fruit and Yoghurt. Oftentimes it is also the last meal of the day for me.
I had that Southwest omelet for my Thanksgiving dinner last year before landing in HKG at 8:00 PM. Good that I did not skip it as by the time I arrived in my hotel it was rather late for a meal. I did skip it prior to arriving in FRA last month as I knew I could get breakfast in the LH Senators Lounge: I had about a 4 hours wait for my next flight.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by exerda
Yeah, wish that UA would serve a lunch snack instead of breakfast. Same on the flights arriving into Asia in the late afternoon / evening: it makes little sense to have breakfast at what will be 4pm local time, even if a lot of the plane napped prior to that meal. Reminds me of the (meager) snack they used to serve on NRT-BKK prior to arrival: it was a pathetic meal, but at least it wasn't breakfast for an 11pm arrival!
You mean like real airlines would?

roberto99 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by SFO777
You mean like real airlines would?
Ah but SQ12 departs NRT 7pm and arrives LAX 1pm so you'd get the prearrival meal around 11am and breakfast is at least somewhat justifiable there.

But when we're talking TYO-East Coast flights landing ~4-5pm it makes less sense — and for example NH serves breakfast as the pre-arrival meal for their HND-JFK/ORD and NRT-IAD/IAH morning departures (arriving ~10am) but lunch on the afternoon NRT-JFK/ORD flights which land ~4pm:
Miggles likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
What a joke. Another example of UA (and US based carriers in general) of hiding under the guise of "safety" while simply be LAZY.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
I find it hard to believe a senior captain and senior purser would cancel service without a good reason to do so. This thread alone probably got both of them called in for a meeting. I won't wade any further into the particulars of this situation, but I'll say this:

On a widebody aircraft, it takes at least 3-5 minutes to get out of the aisle, properly stow the carts & materials, and take a JS in Y. J depends on where you are with the service, but for pre-arrival, I'd wager about 5 minutes as well. This does not include any time to pick things up from passengers. Anything less than that, you're either not putting things away properly in the galley (risking flying objects and upturned carts) or in a worst case scenario, FAs are stuck in the aisle with moderate turbulence and breakfast carts.

Also, there are currently no plans for any "work actions" by UAL FAs.
ajGoes and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:26 pm

Any update OP and others on the flight whether UA gave you the compensation you're entitled to? Having been on UA TPACs before I've seen two meal services advertised. What transpired on this flight then is a service failure. In particular with 2 and a half hours prior to wheels down you're telling me they couldn't find 30 mins to provide meal service? I've been on hour long regional flights that could eek out a decent meal.

-James
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fezzington
This thread alone probably got both of them called in for a meeting. I won't wade any further into the particulars of this situation, ....
This assumes anyone from UA is actually monitoring this forum and looking for service issues that warrant further investigation - however it really appears to us that no one from United really cares at all.

They probably are monitoring the forum looking for customers to single out for audits and other actions to terminate MP accounts or customer relationships - but doing anything to help improve service delivery or product? I can only picture Kirby coming here for a self-congratulatory laugh, but that's it.
enviroian, SFO777 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Any update OP and others on the flight whether UA gave you the compensation you're entitled to? Having been on UA TPACs before I've seen two meal services advertised. What transpired on this flight then is a service failure. In particular with 2 and a half hours prior to wheels down you're telling me they couldn't find 30 mins to provide meal service? I've been on hour long regional flights that could eek out a decent meal.

-James
It is NOT a service failure to not receive food on a flight for safety reasons. Food is NOT that important. I have never been to a destination city that did not have it available.

You know what would be a service failure? For a FA to make an incautious decision to serve food despite turbulence and get someone hurt.

P.S.: I do agree they should have apologized when the turbulence didn't materialize.
Miggles and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dilanesp
It is NOT a service failure to not receive food on a flight for safety reasons..
But it is a service failure to not receive food on a flight for bogus safety reasons.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by SFO777
But it is a service failure to not receive food on a flight for bogus safety reasons.
Just because the turbulence didn’t materialize or wasn’t sufficient enough to merit stopping service in your eyes doesn’t make it bogus.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Food is NOT that important. I have never been to a destination city that did not have it available.
Obviously nothing trumps safety as the overwhelming priority but I would not say food is not that important. For children, the infirm and elderly it is very important indeed. It is true that food exists in destination city but it is an assumption that the food will be available once the plane lands. Having stood in US immigration lines for over an hour watching crying irritable children (yes I know some may breeze through in five minutes with global entry but the vast majority of overseas visitors join a long line) it is easy to see how the prearrival meal can be important for some. There is indeed a parallel thread about planes waiting 20 to 30 minutes post landing for a gate at EWR - again not uncommon. I have even sat in secondary US immigration rooms for two hours with children and there is not even access to drinking water. And even when one gets baggage and heads out for transportation, US arrival halls are not necessarily the most hospitable in terms of accessibility of food or drink and as strange as it sounds not everyone has cash or credit cards usable in the US on arrival. Net result is for many it will be few hours from the prearrival snack before they get a chance to eat again.

I would not say at all that the prearrival meal is not relevant and can imagine how bad it would be, especially for kids and elderly, if on landing the last meal they had was 8 to10 hours earlier. It may be irrelevant to some, but there are those who value the prearrival snack and some who actually need it. Of course the next message will be that the Traveller should always be prepared and have his own food and drink to last a whole day or whatever but many people are not that organized or capable.
rufflesinc and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by ani90
For children, the infirm and elderly it is very important indeed. It is true that food exists in destination city but it is an assumption that the food will be available once the plane lands.
Especially true for international flights into the US. You don't bring anything healthy and fresh "just in case" and throw it away before customs. (Those with medical needs probably always bring something that's not subject to confiscation.)

It had been argued when GUM-HNL turned into BOB. If food were to run out before the last row, and the passenger had to catch a 70-min connection through US customs to IAH, and BOB runs out again, what is someone to do for a total of let's say 16 hours? FYI, declaring food may add minutes to customs and risks your near MCT connection.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Imstevek
Just because the turbulence didn’t materialize or wasn’t sufficient enough to merit stopping service in your eyes doesn’t make it bogus.
It would then require an explanation (maybe even an apology) at the end of the flight: "Despite the forecast ..."
dilanesp likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by worldclubber
It would then require an explanation (maybe even an apology) at the end of the flight: "Despite the forecast ..."
I agree, that's a nice touch.
worldclubber and dilanesp like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by j2simpso

-James

OP Here -- I did not seek out additional compensation. I ate in the Polaris club in EWR and made a note to book future travel on DL/KE for this route. Given the length of the flight I was pretty hungry by the time I got to the Polaris Lounge and would have planned differently (e.g. ate more of the first meal and/or more snacks) if I had known in advance they were going to cancel the meal service. I assume there were at least some folks in economy to whom an extra $20 spent on a meal at the airport wasn't insignificant (based on my own personal travel experience when I was younger and without an expense account). To me, it sure felt as if more could have been done to attempt to serve a meal given the remaining flight time and the lack of actual turbulence. This was really driven home by the fact the seatbelt sign was off for the last 90 minutes or so before we started decent.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by kenn0223; Apr 22, 2019 at 3:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.