Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA78 NRT-EWR (16 April 2019) -- Skipped 2nd Meal Service due to turbulence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA78 NRT-EWR (16 April 2019) -- Skipped 2nd Meal Service due to turbulence

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp
Well SOP in airlines is you never get compensation for the weather.
Technically not true. Weather is considered a controllable delay if pax is VIP (i.e. F/J/*Gold) travelling on a *A airline per the rulebook. Remember there's always two sets of rules: those for the VIPs and those for the kettles

-James
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by daron4000
Isn't the real issue not that the food was or wasn't served but that the "excuse" of turbulence turned out to be such a lie that the seatbelt sign was turned off 10 mins later and remained off until landing? If it's safe enough to be up and about, it's safe enough to serve the food, especially in J.
This. If they turned off the seatbelt sign, they should have served the meals, even with only the cold items.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 16, 2019 at 10:21 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Many seasoned travelers suggest bringing snacks on flights. This is another reason why.

Originally Posted by cricketer
I'll go further -- it's not just Europe, it's pretty much every non US airline that I've flown on, which spans pretty much the world apart from South America. You're spot on about the consequence -- we're in boy who cried wolf territory.
Try flying Air China. They keep the seatbelt sign on the entire flight.
FlyerTalker70 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Technically not true. Weather is considered a controllable delay if pax is VIP (i.e. F/J/*Gold) travelling on a *A airline per the rulebook. ...
No WX is not considered a controllable delay. This benefit is listed under "AMENITIES - UNCONTROLLABLE" as an uncontrolled delay for premium cabin / *G / special assistance passengers and applies at a connecting airport on a long haul international itin.
AMENITIES - UNCONTROLLABLE*
In the event of an uncontrollable delay, Star Alliance member carriers will provide amenities to premium customers
(First, Business and Star Alliance Gold status customers and customers requiring special assistance) traveling on
an "intercontinental" journey including "intercontinental connection" to/from domestic services. An "intercontinental
connection" is defined as one which does not exceed 24 hours. Intercontinental services are defined as those operating
between Europe, Asia, North America (including Central America), South america, Australia & New Zealand and Africa.
*Special conditions apply for EU registered carriers and non-EU registered carriers operating from the EU.
And this is not compensation, it is accommodation.
yytleisure likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would say protecting passenger safety is a key part of customer service.
Oh right, I almost forgot, the flight attendants are there primarily for our safety
CCIE_Flyer and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Austin787
Many seasoned travelers suggest bringing snacks on flights. This is another reason why.

Try flying Air China. They keep the seatbelt sign on the entire flight.
This. I actually find US airlines to be very reasonable in terms of turning the seatbelt signs off. Many Chinese airlines tend to keep them on forever or turn them on even with the lightest turbulence. To make things worse, on those TPAC flights, after turning on the seatbelt sign, FA would have to repeat PA in multiple languages, disturbing precious sleep time.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by daron4000
Isn't the real issue not that the food was or wasn't served but that the "excuse" of turbulence turned out to be such a lie that the seatbelt sign was turned off 10 mins later and remained off until landing? If it's safe enough to be up and about, it's safe enough to serve the food, especially in J.
There is a difference between turning the set belt sign off and serving meals to passengers and they seem to be totally unrelated to one another. I've had FAs serve meals whilst the seatbelt sign was on and we can see from this experience that it's possible for the seat belt signs to be turned off and there be no service. I suspect part of it is the inherent risk associated deploying and then cleaning up service items later. It's one thing to have a kettle roam about the cabin, it's a whole other thing to have a set of chinaware, silverware and bottles of Krug flying about the cabin.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No WX is not considered a controllable delay. This benefit is listed under "AMENITIES - UNCONTROLLABLE" as an uncontrolled delay for premium cabin / *G / special assistance passengers and applies at a connecting airport on a long haul international itin.

And this is not compensation, it is accommodation.
Sorry I meant to say "controllable" as in yes they can't control the weather but it is treated like a controllable condition from the standpoint of *A. As to the accommodation, the list mentions a whole host of items including hotel rooms and meal vouchers depending on the nature of the inconvenience. I suspect bringing that up should you receive pushback from the FA/at the gate may be enough for them to spit out a $20 voucher.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Oh right, I almost forgot, the flight attendants are there primarily for our safety
Profits are the paramount concern of any airline or business from that matter. So far as I can tell injuries/death seem to get in the way of that concern.

Safe Travels,

James
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fattygoose
To make things worse, on those TPAC flights, after turning on the seatbelt sign, FA would have to repeat PA in multiple languages, disturbing precious sleep time.
You mean like they do on UA?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
You mean like they do on UA?
This my friends is why I use noise cancelling headphones, even whilst sleeping!
RockinRon likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
This my friends is why I use noise cancelling headphones, even whilst sleeping!
Noise cancelling headphones cancel ambient, regular noises. Speech, such as an announcement, is not regular and isn't really cancelled, just isolated. For isolation, you can do as well with a much cheaper pair of earmuffs.
airoli and yytleisure like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Not defending UA just yet... the quickness with which we recommend and seek "compensation" is just appalling to me. While it may have been "light chop" the reality is that it could have been predicted to be worse and thus for crew and pax safety it was decided not to serve. Now, if UA forgot to cater for the second meal then ... sure get some comp.
But yesterday I flew on a basic economy ticket and I was not surrounded by a plane full of golden retriever puppies. I demand a refund and 100,000 miles for my inconvenience!
PreMerger likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If the FA's feel it is not safe to have food carts in the cabin, I will defer to them.

They are primarily there for our safety, after all.
If you plan to rely on US flight attendants for real, actionable safety in a true emergency, you will likely be very disappointed.

Originally Posted by kenn0223
Quick Update: As expected there was no acknowledgement while unloading by either the crew/flight deck/or UA ground agent. I chatted a bit with the FA manning the exit door and she said the Purser made the decision about 2.5 hrs before landing and that they didn't even heat the food. Not sure what turbulence reports the Purser is reviewing but I got the feeling it was an excuse looking for a problem. I mentioned it to the Polaris Dragon and she wasn't too sympathetic but did note they obviously had food inside the lounge.
I would still write this up with the 1K desk - you should get some compensation and they might look into it.

Honestly after so many flights over the years, I've been on plenty of trips where there was enough constant turbulence to make eating and drinking a little tricky, but the crews always motored through the service eventually, even if they had to pause and sit for a few minutes. I've never been on a flight where an entire meal service was summarily canceled, so I think this purser needs to be called in for a discussion to explain their decision. If they knew about the potential for issues later, they could have started preparation and the service earlier, and try to get through as much as possible and prepare to be seated if it got rough.

One interesting trip from FLL to EWR years ago where almost the same thing happened, the turbulence never really materialized, but all coach service was canceled - except we had full meal service in First. Needless to say, there was a near riot in coach with people storming forward into First to take photos and make insulting comments. Thankfully none of my cabin-mates yelled out "let them eat cake!" otherwise our flight would have resembled an Ibiza-London riot on Ryanair.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My initial reaction was that it was simply an example of UA FAs (and purser) being lazy. It could be some sort of labor action too, especially with the pilot's announcements about the turbulence that didn't happen in the mix. (Yes, I understand that turbulence isn't perfectly predictable and that there can be safety issues, but this incident sounds extreme.) Maybe the crew was unhappy about something that happened at their destination, such as the hotel UA used or whatever.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
If you plan to rely on US flight attendants for real, actionable safety in a true emergency, you will likely be very disappointed.
Fortunately US aviation has been very safe over the past decade. In the one instance where the proverbial fan blade hits the shroud the pilots were able to control the situation rapidly with passengers (mostly) doing the right thing in putting oxygen masks over their mouth. It's for this reason why I'll insist on flying US carriers overseas even though I'm Canadian (and have to connect in a god awful US airport like ORD). US airlines are required to have 3 pilots aboard for TATL flights, Canadian airlines only require 2. Let that sink in for a moment!

Honestly after so many flights over the years, I've been on plenty of trips where there was enough constant turbulence to make eating and drinking a little tricky, but the crews always motored through the service eventually, even if they had to pause and sit for a few minutes. I've never been on a flight where an entire meal service was summarily canceled, so I think this purser needs to be called in for a discussion to explain their decision. If they knew about the potential for issues later, they could have started preparation and the service earlier, and try to get through as much as possible and prepare to be seated if it got rough.
Similar experience here. Most recently I recall a particularly choppy SIN > SFO segment where the FAs suspended service part way then resumed it after things cleared up. That being said, if speak to anyone who frequents UA often they'll tell you that the quality of FAs and service varies wildly. Sometimes I get some real class acts, other times the service is just acceptable.

One interesting trip from FLL to EWR years ago where almost the same thing happened, the turbulence never really materialized, but all coach service was canceled - except we had full meal service in First. Needless to say, there was a near riot in coach with people storming forward into First to take photos and make insulting comments. Thankfully none of my cabin-mates yelled out "let them eat cake!" otherwise our flight would have resembled an Ibiza-London riot on Ryanair.
Some of the worst flights I had were with OW carriers for this exact reason. Once I was on a transcontinental AA flight (believe it was PHL to PHX) and beverage service only came once, for a 5 hour flight! If this were UA I would had at least 2 beverage services for such a long haul domestic segment. Back in 2017 I had a segment with BA EDI > LHR a short 1 hour segment but this time no beverage service! I've been on propeller flights half that length that managed to eek out a beverage service. This leads me to believe that OW airlines are owned by the Saudis it's the only way to explain why these airlines are so dry

-James
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:09 am

+1 Same thing happened to me SFO-EWR last weekend. My first time flying UA in years. Barely any turbulence was felt, but 1st meal service was halted for a good 2hrs, and 2nd light meal/snack was not served at all. I wasn't starving so didn't think too much of it, just thought it was a bit strange. Seeing this thread I guess this is standard procedure on UA. This was among many other things that felt "off" about UA, so back to DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.