Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA78 NRT-EWR (16 April 2019) -- Skipped 2nd Meal Service due to turbulence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA78 NRT-EWR (16 April 2019) -- Skipped 2nd Meal Service due to turbulence

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by geckoflyer
Safety first. Probably PIREPS. If you have a connection, head to the Polaris lounge for some food...otherwise reach out to CS and get some miles or a voucher.

ETA: https://www.aviationweather.gov/airep
Reports of Moderate to Severe turbulence all around EWR. Not surprised.
I was up flying in the vicinity of EWR earlier today (around CDW and MMU) in a Cessna 172, I would not call the turbulence moderate to severe.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I had a similar experience NRT-SFO two weeks ago, though they did eventually resume the meal service. The turbulence never got worse than a mild chop.

My observation is that compared to OAL I've flown recently, UA crews are very quick to halt the service, and very slow to start it back up. And I really doubt that carriers such as NH, CX, or SQ are any less concerned about safety.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I was up flying in the vicinity of EWR earlier today (around CDW and MMU) in a Cessna 172, I would not call the turbulence moderate to severe.
Thanks for the PIREP.

I flew into EWR on the FLOSI arrival, 20-25 minutes of constant moderate (B763) from ALB southbound.

Not much fun today...

ajGoes likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Quick Update: As expected there was no acknowledgement while unloading by either the crew/flight deck/or UA ground agent. I chatted a bit with the FA manning the exit door and she said the Purser made the decision about 2.5 hrs before landing and that they didn't even heat the food. Not sure what turbulence reports the Purser is reviewing but I got the feeling it was an excuse looking for a problem. I mentioned it to the Polaris Dragon and she wasn't too sympathetic but did note they obviously had food inside the lounge.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I was up flying in the vicinity of EWR earlier today ....
Would not the turbulence forecast for middle Canada near USA border and the Great Lakes be more relevant -- went the meal was planned to be served and not arrival turbulence went everything would have been stowed.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
I'd be really disappointed and annoyed about this. If they are going to cancel the second meal service, they really should be more proactive about food vouchers or compensation. It's not even about principle - just a simple matter of taking care of the customer at that point.
iluv2fly, cranky1K, zeer0 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Flying AC from DEL-YVR yesterday, we had a period for which the FA's had to take their seats for projected moderate to severe turbulence. It never transpired. Chatting with the captain at the end of the flight, he said that the "pictures" (i.e. weather radar) and pireps all indicated significant turbulence but somehow we lucked out or dodged it. Just pointing out that it is *possible* that the expectation was genuine, which other commenters have supported.

What I don't get is why they couldn't have heated the meals anyway. Not like they get preserved for another flight if they aren't heated (I hope!). Even having not done that, they could have served the unheated meal components. Seems pretty iffy on the surface.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd ask for a meal voucher upon arrival or ask for compensation/miles/customer service gesture from UA later.....or as a 1K you could send UA the receipt for a meal upon arrival, just as you would do with a hotel receipt. IMO you're entitled to something. That's a long flight to have no food beyond a couple hours after takeoff.
Not defending UA just yet... the quickness with which we recommend and seek "compensation" is just appalling to me. While it may have been "light chop" the reality is that it could have been predicted to be worse and thus for crew and pax safety it was decided not to serve. Now, if UA forgot to cater for the second meal then ... sure get some comp.
Statman, Often1, dmurphynj and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
My goodness the second meal service is so awful anyway I rarely select it - crew safety is paramount. I would be more upset about beverage service being skipped. But it's safety first folks - that's what we have voted for. Society is so whiny these days - no sympathy from me.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Not defending UA just yet... the quickness with which we recommend and seek "compensation" is just appalling to me. While it may have been "light chop" the reality is that it could have been predicted to be worse and thus for crew and pax safety it was decided not to serve. Now, if UA forgot to cater for the second meal then ... sure get some comp.
+1 - Maybe merge this with the thread asking "what can I get because the FA slopped OJ onto me due to turbulence?"

That is just OJ. I would put the safety of the crew and other passengers ahead of convenience.

OP specifically stated that the Captain made the same announcement. I'll take the judgment of the PIC senior enough to command an international widebody over second-guessers.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
And I really doubt that carriers such as NH, CX, or SQ are any less concerned about safety.
But I do think they're more concerned about service.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mduell
But I do think they're more concerned about service.
Ding-ding-ding. We have a winner.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Collierkr
If the flight had been delayed by two hours due to weather, would those suggesting that a voucher or other compensation is required here suggest the same?

To me this seems to be a (weather) event not under UA’s control, and thus I would not expect or request compensation.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by kenn0223
On UA78 from NRT-EWR today (4/16) and the crew just announced that they were not going to serve the 2nd meal (breakfast) due to turbulence in any cabin. While the last few hours of the flight has continuous light chop I have had meals served (on UA and other airlines) with much worse and the cabin crew has been up working during the entire time the meal would have been served. Has anyone else experienced this, the crew announced it fairly nonchalantly as if they were skipping drink service ORD-MSP? While it would be great for UA to had out meal vouchers upon arrival at EWR I doubt that will happen. It seems that leaving 300 some passengers to fend for themselves for food upon landing after a 12 hr flight is a pretty big service failure.
Why not offer a Cheese and Fruit Platter with Yogurt and some cold cereal along with pastries? Along with Bloody Mary's or other drinks.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
My experience of UA vs European airlines is that UA is obsessed with the seat belt sign. They turn it off much later - usually at cruising altitude, they keep on turning it on throughout a flight, often forgetting to turn it off again and they turn it on usually at the top of the descent. The European airlines I fly all turn it off at about 10,000 feet, turn it on again around that level and rarely turn it on midflight, unless there really is turbulence.

The consequence of that is that on UA people mostly ignore the sign, whereas in Europe, if it's on, people obey it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.