Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why is there no Premium Transcon Service for IAD to SFO (or LAX)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is there no Premium Transcon Service for IAD to SFO (or LAX)?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
UA really shot themselves in the foot by not converting more sUA 757s to some kind of lie-flat/AVOD configuration for routes like BOS-SFO and ORD to the West Coast. There are still frames in the desert if they ever want to do it.
frames in the desert? the cost to do the d-check and reconfigure them is not worth the money. pretty sure the rest of the 757s are being phased out for 737s, so why invest in a line of aircraft you're retiring anyway?

hub-to-hub has some international configurations if someone is dying to fly lie-flat for those flights.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
UA really shot themselves in the foot by not converting more sUA 757s to some kind of lie-flat/AVOD configuration for routes like BOS-SFO and ORD to the West Coast.
How so?

No true premium demand so why put the product there?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sbm12
No true premium demand so why put the product there?
I wonder about that.

I'll now pay for F SFO-EWR-BOS to get the ps lie-flat.

Otherwise I'd just as soon fly B6 SFO-BOS, either in Mint or with the superior Y product, over Y or F on a UA 739.

Acknowledged, that my personal preferences do not necessarily indicate a broader base of demand (though B6 putting Mint on the route suggests they think there's a market for it).
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'll now pay for F SFO-EWR-BOS to get the ps lie-flat.
At what price point?

B6 has run Mint at a lower price than the legacies since it was introduced. I see UA pricing in the coming month at $1164-$2184. Connecting in ORD instead is steady around $650, similar to the nonstop options on UA. If JetBlue shows up with a nonstop in the $600-1000 range and a premium product I expect it will be successful in that it matches the existing price point. But I doubt many are willing to double up to get that.

Seems like a waste of $600 to me to be paying that premium. Even in a lie-flat seat.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
At what price point?
I just paid $1200 something. Not sure how much higher I'd go.

If JetBlue shows up with a nonstop in the $600-1000 range and a premium product I expect it will be successful in that it matches the existing price point.
Jet Blue has shown up with Mint SFO-BOS. Cheapest I've seen is $699 OW, and it seems be selling well if availability is any indication.

Seems like a waste of $600 to me to be paying that premium. Even in a lie-flat seat.
To each their own. The Y fare RT was over $500. And I absolutely detest the UA 739.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by haddon90
frames in the desert? the cost to do the d-check and reconfigure them is not worth the money. pretty sure the rest of the 757s are being phased out for 737s, so why invest in a line of aircraft you're retiring anyway?

hub-to-hub has some international configurations if someone is dying to fly lie-flat for those flights.
Well if they did the D checks as you say, they must have thrown in a ton of money to keep N505UA and N510UA for PS operations as they are both 1989-1990 models with new configuration. Meanwhile they sold some N59*** builds to FedEx which were delivered in 1996-1997. Not sure if the Smisek regime were aware of the Restoration value - seems like they did PS frames randomly.

Meanwhile you have 739s diverting and running over runways with no IFE. Might have been better to pull a DL and refresh the 757s for certain missions eh?

Regardless, the 757 frames are in the desert if they want to pull with the low fuel prices. DL played this card right, UA invested in expensive new 739 instead.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:48 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by findark
I might be in the minority here, but I would actually not be thrilled to see it if it came with the same pricing that accompanies ex-EWR p.s. I'm perfectly happy with recliner First on my non redeye transcons (and try to avoid redeyes), and I'm not thrilled about the idea of having to pay an extra $100-200 (or more) each way just to stay out of Y. But I don't fly to NYC that much, so I don't have a good fix on how inventory is for the $1198 RTs. That's a price I can stomach.
No to mention the ability to CPU from SFO to BOS and IAD, not that it ever clears anyway.
Old May 4, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat
p.s. on IAD <--> SFO

Dying for UA to start this. Any hope?
Old May 4, 2017, 6:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Ceasy
p.s. on IAD <--> SFO
Dying for UA to start this. Any hope? Dying for UA to start this. Any hope?
There have been previous request for this.

There are rumors the PS-like service will startup for BOS <> SFO/LAX.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...une-rumor.html

UA does not have enough planes of the proper configuration to do another city if BOS starts. In fact, appears UA will not retire some 757s as planned to support the BOS service.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...st-2018-a.html

So, no IAD PS in the near future.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Unless competing airlines start running it seriously on a route, United will not do ANYTHING beneficial for the customers voluntarily.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There have been previous request for this.

There are rumors the PS-like service will startup for BOS <> SFO/LAX.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...une-rumor.html

UA does not have enough planes of the proper configuration to do another city if BOS starts. In fact, appears UA will not retire some 757s as planned to support the BOS service.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...st-2018-a.html

So, no IAD PS in the near future.
Has anything said about what happens to the lie flats in the existing 777 fleet when they are converted to the Polaris hard product? Could they be used to retrofit more 757s to a PS-like configuration?

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Unless competing airlines start running it seriously on a route, United will not do ANYTHING beneficial for the customers voluntarily.
They already run 777s on the route, two a day in the upcoming weeks actually, plus a 16J 757 at various times. The 757s tend to draw higher fares from what I can see.

Ideal for me would be a red-eye 757 lie-flat, as long as the P fares weren't too extreme. The typical $299 diff I see now is not much more than the cost of a hotel room and food for a day, but would earn the bonus RDM and PQM. Sleeping in a 738/9 F seat is fine for napping, but is not a restful night's sleep for me.

P.S. also includes better food service plus club access, and amenity kits on board, none of which I need. I'd rather the P fare stay lower than the full P.S. service get brought on -- i just want to be able to lie down.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by prometa

P.S. also includes better food service plus club access, and amenity kits on board, none of which I need. I'd rather the P fare stay lower than the full P.S. service get brought on -- i just want to be able to lie down.
And bedding. That makes the flights so much more comfortable and easier to sleep
Old May 4, 2017, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's been hashed out before but I'm always wary of the push for more flatbed service. I really don't need a bed on any flight where I'm not trying to get a full night of sleep, and the way the SFO/NYC market has crept up as the majors fold to B6.. beds are nice but I'm not sure they're worth $1,000+ 14-day fares.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
They do have a 772 that flies back and forth. I have been on the flight twice, but never actually made it to boarding, so not sure if it is a flatbed or not.

752's every now and again, not sure of the frequency though.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
They do have a 772 that flies back and forth. I have been on the flight twice, but never actually made it to boarding, so not sure if it is a flatbed or not.
It's a mix of 77H (barcalounger), 77G (IPTE lie-flat), and 3-class 777s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.