Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Layover on award became 8 hours with schedule change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Layover on award became 8 hours with schedule change

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Only on FT do we choose to the longer routing for more air-time. (yours truly included).
yes but only lucky enough to be in J. Don't think this statement would be applicable to Y flyers.
phkc070408 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by t325
I'll have time for both

If I get on the early flight, will they hold my checked bag that long at IAH or will I have to collect it and do something with it?
IAH is pretty far from everything you might want to see in Houston (Space Center, tons of museums, Hermann Park, good restaurants, etc.), so you would probably just want to rent a car for a day anyway, and you could keep your bag in the trunk if they won't hold it long enough. (But obviously not show you have a bag in the trunk at any of your sightseeing stops; since you're flying from STL, I assume you know the big city drill, but not everyone does.) IAH car rentals are usually pretty cheap.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mechteach
IAH is pretty far from everything you might want to see in Houston (Space Center, tons of museums, Hermann Park, good restaurants, etc.), so you would probably just want to rent a car for a day anyway, and you could keep your bag in the trunk if they won't hold it long enough. (But obviously not show you have a bag in the trunk at any of your sightseeing stops; since you're flying from STL, I assume you know the big city drill, but not everyone does.) IAH car rentals are usually pretty cheap.
Yep - just reserved a rental car, it cost me around 3,200 Chase UR points (didn't even put a dent in my balance, yay) but the cash price was $50 for the day. Couldn't even Uber around for that cheap. And yeah, I'm very familiar with the big city drill, I live in STL and used to go to Detroit all the time for work so I know a thing or two about being in higher crime cities

Thanks for the advice everyone! Making the most of the long layover to see some stuff I normally wouldn't, and waking up to catch the early flight to IAH should guarantee I'll sleep like a baby on the flight to TPE (something I sometimes have difficulty doing even in lie flats)
mrt88 and mechteach like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:24 am

I went to NASA on a long IAH connection and it was great, definitely worth the car rental and drive.

I also looked up "10 best BBQ places in Houston" but of the 5 I visited they were all either closed or take-out only and I didn't want to eat messy BBQ in my rental car so I ended up with some mediocre tex mex.

As others said, you'll know when they tag your bags in STL whether you'll have to pick them up or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.