Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
]United Airlines Preparing New Nonstop Seasonal Service Between New York/Newark and Cape Town, South Africa
United's new nonstop service will save customers nearly eight hours of travel time roundtrip between New York and Cape Town
CHICAGO, April 15, 2019
United Airlines today applied with the U.S. Department of Transportation for authority to begin new service between New York/Newark Liberty International Airport and Cape Town International Airport. United plans to operate nonstop three-times weekly flights to Cape Town starting in December 2019.

"We are always looking at ways to expand our industry-leading international route network to offer our customers more convenient options. We're thrilled to announce the addition of Africa to our global route offering," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "

This new flight will provide customers with the only nonstop service between the United States and Cape Town." United's nonstop service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will decrease the current travel time from New York to Cape Town by more than four hours and provide customers from more than 80 U.S. cities with easy one-stop access to Cape Town. If approved, United's service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will be operated with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft featuring 48 seats in United Polaris business class, 88 seats in United Economy Plus and 116 seats in United Economy.

Cape Town is the oldest city in South Africa and the country's center of trade and commerce. Located at the shore of Table Bay, the city is home to some of the most popular attractions in South Africa including Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. Travelers to South Africa often begin their African journey in Cape Town before touring the Cape Winelands, viewing the African penguins at Boulder Beach or traveling beyond Cape Town to explore South Africa's natural beauty including its many national parks, game reserves and beautiful coastlines and beaches of the KwaZulu-Natal and Western Cape provinces.
Seasonal until end of March 2020
26 April 2019
Originally Posted by gokeeper
related thread
Best Routing for UA flyer (Paid/Miles) to South Africa (JNB, CPT, ...)[Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Great news indeed!

Talking about being greedy, next I hope United will be awarded EWR-HND...
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Maybe because partner SA flies there?
They can do that route (and IAD-JNB) once SA goes under.
drewguy likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:11 pm

Having just flown to CPT via FRA, I would have loved this less-indirect routing via EWR instead. Cape Town is a beautiful city with loads of appeal. I think this will be a competitive route for UA by avoiding the need to stop in JNB, instead going straight to the main attraction in South Africa. Super excited for this addition to the international route map!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's not 7871 nm. It's 7871 (statute) miles. That's 600 miles shorter than SFO-SIN, and CPT is around sea level so you don't have the issues you'd have at JNB.
I would assume that UA lacked an A/C that could do EWR-JNB, was this an add because it was possible (with the 789) and UA is hoping that they can make it work even w/o much paid business J (hoping to capture some of the current traffic connecting)? I certainly hope the route works out, and credit UA with some out-of-the-box thinking in this move.

Originally Posted by mellon
im surprised UA didn't pick JNB over CPT? Would the 787 have the range to fly from JNB back to EWR with altitude 1750m and heat? Is that why UA picked Capetown?
DL has to weigh limit with a 772LR, which is a more capable A/C than the 789. Combo of range and high/hot airport at JNB. The 789 could do EWR-JNB, but no way they could take off with enough fuel at JNB to make it to EWR on the way back.
mellon likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Quote: Cape Town is the oldest city in South Africa and the country's center of trade and commerce.
Center of trade? Seems like the author hasn't been to Johannesburg. Or is it just me?
​​​​​

​​
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Does one single GPU clear SIN-SFO-EWR-CPT?

Best use of GPU.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by kb1992

Best use of GPU.
Good luck trying to clear all legs
EmailKid likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992

Best use of GPU.
If you can ticket it on a single PNR, yes. However, I think you're going to find that to be extremely expensive to do, if it's even possible. (Of course, it can be done as part of a RTW itinerary).

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Indeed.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
With SFO-EWR being the most difficult segment.
cricketer, drewguy, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
OMG I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited about this!!! CPTflyer, to answer your question, YES there was a n/s btwn the US and CPT at one time. The very first time I went to SA in 2001 I booked ticket on DL and I think the flight was on SAA metal, I think it was an A340 or B747 as I recall but yes, it used to operate from ATL-CPT. SO excited to see this and no longer need to transit JNB to get to SAA. I'd be doing flips if I wasn't at work right now. LOL!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: UA MM

Good points on turn time. It does seem a mid-con hub-hub route (maybe to DEN as well?) may work.

SYD service goes back to daily from both LAX and IAH at end of October.
Would they even try doing this with a 3X/week route?

Originally Posted by spin88
I would assume that UA lacked an A/C that could do EWR-JNB, was this an add because it was possible (with the 789) and UA is hoping that they can make it work even w/o much paid business J (hoping to capture some of the current traffic connecting)? I certainly hope the route works out, and credit UA with some out-of-the-box thinking in this move.

DL has to weigh limit with a 772LR, which is a more capable A/C than the 789. Combo of range and high/hot airport at JNB. The 789 could do EWR-JNB, but no way they could take off with enough fuel at JNB to make it to EWR on the way back.
ET has the same issue on ADD-ORD flights. Nonstop out of Chicago but has to stop out of Addis Ababa due to underweighting of aircraft leaving from there.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 16, 2019 at 11:56 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
They can do that route (and IAD-JNB) once SA goes under.
I have always wondered why United does not fly to JNB from IAD. Is only one flight allowed at a time on this route?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by bdw1120
Great news indeed!

Talking about being greedy, next I hope United will be awarded EWR-HND...
i think United is almost certain to get that route.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
I have always wondered why United does not fly to JNB from IAD. Is only one flight allowed at a time on this route?
The USA-RSA agreement does not appear to preclude adding a second carrier on a given route. I suspect the reason is the altitude at JNB, which limits the allowable takeoff weight substantially, resulting in the necessary addition of a fuel stop for any equipment that UA has in its fleet.
EWR764 and FlyingHighlander like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by BayAreaTrvler
Having just flown to CPT via FRA, I would have loved this less-indirect routing via EWR instead. Cape Town is a beautiful city with loads of appeal. I think this will be a competitive route for UA by avoiding the need to stop in JNB, instead going straight to the main attraction in South Africa. Super excited for this addition to the international route map!
While CPT is the main attraction for SA tourists, JNB is the hub for most of southern Africa so in that regard not ideal outside of trips to CPT specifically. It does, however, create attractive possibilities for combining a CPT arrival with a JNB return or v.v. for those exploring more of Africa.

In addition, the arrival time in the evening makes onward connections pretty infeasible the same day (only the SA JFK-JNB flight allows this, with late am NY departure and early morning JNB arrival)

Last edited by drewguy; Apr 17, 2019 at 2:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.