Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
]United Airlines Preparing New Nonstop Seasonal Service Between New York/Newark and Cape Town, South Africa
United's new nonstop service will save customers nearly eight hours of travel time roundtrip between New York and Cape Town
CHICAGO, April 15, 2019
United Airlines today applied with the U.S. Department of Transportation for authority to begin new service between New York/Newark Liberty International Airport and Cape Town International Airport. United plans to operate nonstop three-times weekly flights to Cape Town starting in December 2019.

"We are always looking at ways to expand our industry-leading international route network to offer our customers more convenient options. We're thrilled to announce the addition of Africa to our global route offering," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "

This new flight will provide customers with the only nonstop service between the United States and Cape Town." United's nonstop service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will decrease the current travel time from New York to Cape Town by more than four hours and provide customers from more than 80 U.S. cities with easy one-stop access to Cape Town. If approved, United's service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will be operated with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft featuring 48 seats in United Polaris business class, 88 seats in United Economy Plus and 116 seats in United Economy.

Cape Town is the oldest city in South Africa and the country's center of trade and commerce. Located at the shore of Table Bay, the city is home to some of the most popular attractions in South Africa including Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. Travelers to South Africa often begin their African journey in Cape Town before touring the Cape Winelands, viewing the African penguins at Boulder Beach or traveling beyond Cape Town to explore South Africa's natural beauty including its many national parks, game reserves and beautiful coastlines and beaches of the KwaZulu-Natal and Western Cape provinces.
Seasonal until end of March 2020
26 April 2019
Originally Posted by gokeeper
related thread
Best Routing for UA flyer (Paid/Miles) to South Africa (JNB, CPT, ...)[Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
Ahh, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks
BTW don't count Cape Town out. There's a lot to see and do there. When I explored South Africa for 2 weeks I spent a good 4 days there. Highlights included:
  • Hiking Table Mountain
  • Shark Cage Diving
  • River Cruise
The good news about South Africa is that it's well connected from an aviation perspective. You've got *A partner South African, but also BA and several budget airlines like Mango. You can get to most places in the country on a 1-2 hour plane ride. If you prefer a scenic option, there is a train that runs between Cape Town and JoBurg. I'd also recommend considering Durban the beeches there are to die for!

Safe Travels,

James
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Yes, SA used to fly ATL-CPT-FLL-ATL, I think it stopped soon after 9/11
I was on it, in 2000. Back then South African was still partnering with Delta. I finally, a year ago, was able to use those Delta miles

On the outbound we flew ATL-CPT, and on the return JNB-CPT-FLL-ATL. Same plane, no getting off. I think in CPT they had additional passengers board (I assume they had no/little local traffic just flying JNB-CPT on the 747). FLL was just a fuel stop.

Very happy about this new route.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Who is ready for the ultimate UA mileage run SIN-SFO-EWR-CPT, 38000 miles.
I was thinking the same thing. There’s almost three hours in CPT. I wonder how fast an international transfer can occur there.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
BTW don't count Cape Town out. There's a lot to see and do there. When I explored South Africa for 2 weeks I spent a good 4 days there. Highlights included:
  • Hiking Table Mountain
  • Shark Cage Diving
  • River Cruise
The good news about South Africa is that it's well connected from an aviation perspective. You've got *A partner South African, but also BA and several budget airlines like Mango. You can get to most places in the country on a 1-2 hour plane ride. If you prefer a scenic option, there is a train that runs between Cape Town and JoBurg. I'd also recommend considering Durban the beeches there are to die for!

Safe Travels,

James
Took the Premier Classe train this winter. It’s quite an amazing experience, I loved every bit of it, but plan an extra day on the other side as the train can get pretty delayed!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:30 pm

The relevant question here is whether the bags will indeed make it to your final destination in one piece!

-James
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
I hope this route is popular and they go year round with it. I'm planning a driving safari starting in Namibia in June/July 2020 and this route would be nice to use to get to WDH.

Chris
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
I hope this route is popular and they go year round with it. I'm planning a driving safari starting in Namibia in June/July 2020 and this route would be nice to use to get to WDH.

Chris
Same with me. I mentioned visiting Cape town earlier in this thread, but that's just a quick visit before we head up to Namibia (May 2020) for 2 weeks. It would be perfect if we could do UA to CPT, then hop up to WDH on another carrier.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
The relevant question here is whether the bags will indeed make it to your final destination in one piece!

-James
On a true MR, never check a bag. I don't even check bags when away for two weeks.
​​​​​​
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cur
sa used to fly to fll or mia from cpt in the 90s iirc
cape town isn't africa
Actually, this is South Africa. Yes, they flies CPT-FLL-ATL and then nonstop flight to CPT or JNB from ATL.

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Yes, SA used to fly ATL-CPT-FLL-ATL, I think it stopped soon after 9/11
That is correct. They flies JNB-CPT-FLL-ATL over nearly 2 decades ago. Yes, they stopped after 9/11, but they went to SID to refuel the plane. They continue the flight to ATL.

Last edited by N830MH; Apr 15, 2019 at 5:18 pm
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
Wow, this is very cool.

In reading the news it appears to only be seasonal, during the Northern Hemisphere winter, ending March 2020. I have wanted to go explore SA for years, isn't the best safari season in the Northern Hemisphere summer?
Theoretically the best safari season is summer in the northern hemisphere. However, having done safaris in both seasons, I've had amazing experiences during both and honestly wouldn't mind either way! The good thing about the winter (North America) is that you get to see as much wildlife for about 30% off the peak season prices!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N104UA
I would assume UA hires a station manager in CPT then outsources everything else.

​​​​​​​I am sure UA has accounted for this. I am assuming they are expecting it to be a cargo light route.
Yes, they will hires a station manager and ticket agents, as well.

Lol!! I don't think you can do that. You know it's very extremely expensive.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I was on it, in 2000. Back then South African was still partnering with Delta. I finally, a year ago, was able to use those Delta miles

On the outbound we flew ATL-CPT, and on the return JNB-CPT-FLL-ATL. Same plane, no getting off. I think in CPT they had additional passengers board (I assume they had no/little local traffic just flying JNB-CPT on the 747). FLL was just a fuel stop.

That's exactly right! They flew JNB-CPT-FLL-ATL and then nonstop flight to CPT or JNB from ATL. The flight is departed at 10:30am from ATL.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

And before that it was MIA-CPT as an AA codeshare. FLL was added as a refueling stop to get the plane to ATL when it shifted to ATL as a Delta codeshare. But you could get off at FLL, which I once did. And BTW, it also took me eons to use all my Delta miles, but not as long as you!

i’m also thrilled by this new flight. BTV to CPT with one stop - who would have ever thunk it??!!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsvt

And before that it was MIA-CPT as an AA codeshare. FLL was added as a refueling stop to get the plane to ATL when it shifted to ATL as a Delta codeshare. But you could get off at FLL, which I once did. And BTW, it also took me eons to use all my Delta miles, but not as long as you!

i’m also thrilled by this new flight. BTV to CPT with one stop - who would have ever thunk it??!!

Not exactly! They stop in FLL and some passengers who went through FLL customs is a final destination. You stay on the plane and they continue the flight to ATL is a final destination.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm glad to see an option to get to CPT on UA metal but hate that it comes out of EWR.
drewguy and IAD1k like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I'm glad to see an option to get to CPT on UA metal but hate that it comes out of EWR.
I’d rather it be out of EWR, where there is a proper Polaris lounge, than out of IAD.

I wonder if this is a sign that UA plans to add more 789s out of EWR - I think this is the only announced 789 route that flies through EWR right now. Does this mean we might see some 789s pop up on TCON routes or other domestic hub-hub route (e.g. EWR-IAH) as part of optimizing plane usage? Or maybe they will start adding some more 789 routes ex-EWR (e.g. EWR-TPE)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.