Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
]United Airlines Preparing New Nonstop Seasonal Service Between New York/Newark and Cape Town, South Africa
United's new nonstop service will save customers nearly eight hours of travel time roundtrip between New York and Cape Town
CHICAGO, April 15, 2019
United Airlines today applied with the U.S. Department of Transportation for authority to begin new service between New York/Newark Liberty International Airport and Cape Town International Airport. United plans to operate nonstop three-times weekly flights to Cape Town starting in December 2019.

"We are always looking at ways to expand our industry-leading international route network to offer our customers more convenient options. We're thrilled to announce the addition of Africa to our global route offering," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "

This new flight will provide customers with the only nonstop service between the United States and Cape Town." United's nonstop service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will decrease the current travel time from New York to Cape Town by more than four hours and provide customers from more than 80 U.S. cities with easy one-stop access to Cape Town. If approved, United's service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will be operated with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft featuring 48 seats in United Polaris business class, 88 seats in United Economy Plus and 116 seats in United Economy.

Cape Town is the oldest city in South Africa and the country's center of trade and commerce. Located at the shore of Table Bay, the city is home to some of the most popular attractions in South Africa including Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. Travelers to South Africa often begin their African journey in Cape Town before touring the Cape Winelands, viewing the African penguins at Boulder Beach or traveling beyond Cape Town to explore South Africa's natural beauty including its many national parks, game reserves and beautiful coastlines and beaches of the KwaZulu-Natal and Western Cape provinces.
Seasonal until end of March 2020
26 April 2019
Originally Posted by gokeeper
related thread
Best Routing for UA flyer (Paid/Miles) to South Africa (JNB, CPT, ...)[Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Just curious - does anyone have insights into how bookings are going so far? Contemplating going to SA at the end of next year if this sticks around (would be traveling with a toddler, so no interest in connecting in Europe), so this would be ideal if it stays in place.
I had a Z fare booked in Feb. for some reason I had still an expertflyer alert set on the flight for a P fare (from when I was still thinking about it). Checked the price difference and was able to get a $1100 e-very back after change fee (P was available on the other 2 segments as well)

As of now there are 9 Polaris seats selected on the seat map.

Take these data points as you will.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

I was on it, in 2000. Back then South African was still partnering with Delta. I finally, a year ago, was able to use those Delta miles

On the outbound we flew ATL-CPT, and on the return JNB-CPT-FLL-ATL. Same plane, no getting off. I think in CPT they had additional passengers board (I assume they had no/little local traffic just flying JNB-CPT on the 747). FLL was just a fuel stop.

Very happy about this new route.
I was one of the ones boarding it CPT. Was it a 747?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
I was one of the ones boarding it CPT. Was it a 747?
pretty sure it was.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
You may be surprised. The number of crew who "won't do Africa" is higher than you think....
Old comment but I don’t get it. Why not?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by chavala
Old comment but I don’t get it. Why not?
security.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
security.
Security of what? The plane or themselves?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
Security of what? The plane or themselves?
I can't tell if there is snark embedded in that -- clearly personal security. Certainly there is safe transportation between airport and lodging, but what good is it to get an overseas multiday layover if you don't feel very safe being out? Certainly CPT is superior to JNB but even those of us who love ZA need to be realistic that there is real risk on the ground.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I can't tell if there is snark embedded in that -- clearly personal security. Certainly there is safe transportation between airport and lodging, but what good is it to get an overseas multiday layover if you don't feel very safe being out? Certainly CPT is superior to JNB but even those of us who love ZA need to be realistic that there is real risk on the ground.
There is real risk lots of places. I think those who won't "do Africa' are often blindly applying their biases and preconceived notions of what is and is not safe. I don't think any FA's would not "do mexico" but the murder rate there is much higher than South Africa.
cricketer, NWstu, chavala and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by noah
There is real risk lots of places. I think those who won't "do Africa' are often blindly applying their biases and preconceived notions of what is and is not safe. I don't think any FA's would not "do mexico" but the murder rate there is much higher than South Africa.
Having spent significant time in both Mexico and South Africa I would say the risks are quite similar. Stay away from problem spots, avoid driving at night on rural roads, don't stay out till 3AM etc and odds are you will be OK. The roads are probably more dangerous in South Africa, so fly if that's an options rather than driving.
Malibu369 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by noah
I bet there are FAs who won't "do Mexico". I do visit South Africa, and I do not visit Mexico. But I also believe that the view that traveling in South Africa carries significant risks not present elsewhere in the UA system a not unreasonable assessment that is not necessarily a reflection of "biases and preconceived notions".
Old Nov 1, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I didn’t realize FAs could arbitrarily decide what they will and won’t “Do”.
I would never hire someone who could not perform every aspect of their job.
If they’re so afraid of being out, they should stay in their room and order room service. Or find another job which doesn’t require them to travel.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:53 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by chavala
I didn’t realize FAs could arbitrarily decide what they will and won’t “Do”.
I would never hire someone who could not perform every aspect of their job.
If they’re so afraid of being out, they should stay in their room and order room service. Or find another job which doesn’t require them to travel.
Most entertaining post ever.

FAs bid on routes, so they do quite literally decide which routes they do and don't fly. Did you think Ed Bastian sends out the monthly schedule and then should fire those who don't comply?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by TBD
Most entertaining post ever.

FAs bid on routes, so they do quite literally decide which routes they do and don't fly. Did you think Ed Bastian sends out the monthly schedule and then should fire those who don't comply?
I’m sure they won’t have trouble finding takers for a trip to CPT in winter. Where will the crew stay, I would assume the Westin or similar?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 6:52 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I’m sure they won’t have trouble finding takers for a trip to CPT in winter. Where will the crew stay, I would assume the Westin or similar?
Yea ... Cape Town is beautiful. Some may refuse to fly to Africa, but I'm quite certain United won't have a problem finding employees to work this flight.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by DBCme
BTW, Anyone planning to be on the inaugural CPT-EWR flight?
I will be on the inaugural CPT-EWR. Are you still planning to be on it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.