Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
]United Airlines Preparing New Nonstop Seasonal Service Between New York/Newark and Cape Town, South Africa
United's new nonstop service will save customers nearly eight hours of travel time roundtrip between New York and Cape Town
CHICAGO, April 15, 2019
United Airlines today applied with the U.S. Department of Transportation for authority to begin new service between New York/Newark Liberty International Airport and Cape Town International Airport. United plans to operate nonstop three-times weekly flights to Cape Town starting in December 2019.

"We are always looking at ways to expand our industry-leading international route network to offer our customers more convenient options. We're thrilled to announce the addition of Africa to our global route offering," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "

This new flight will provide customers with the only nonstop service between the United States and Cape Town." United's nonstop service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will decrease the current travel time from New York to Cape Town by more than four hours and provide customers from more than 80 U.S. cities with easy one-stop access to Cape Town. If approved, United's service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will be operated with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft featuring 48 seats in United Polaris business class, 88 seats in United Economy Plus and 116 seats in United Economy.

Cape Town is the oldest city in South Africa and the country's center of trade and commerce. Located at the shore of Table Bay, the city is home to some of the most popular attractions in South Africa including Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. Travelers to South Africa often begin their African journey in Cape Town before touring the Cape Winelands, viewing the African penguins at Boulder Beach or traveling beyond Cape Town to explore South Africa's natural beauty including its many national parks, game reserves and beautiful coastlines and beaches of the KwaZulu-Natal and Western Cape provinces.
Seasonal until end of March 2020
26 April 2019
Originally Posted by gokeeper
related thread
Best Routing for UA flyer (Paid/Miles) to South Africa (JNB, CPT, ...)[Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Held off on buying a D fare for EWR-CPT in December and now there are only C fares which are silly expensive. If D opens up again, I’ll buy! But the flight seems to be selling quite well in business for that month, so I’m not too hopeful.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TBD
JNB connections are irrelevant to DL as they don't have a codeshare agreement. Anyone flying DL to ZA (beyond JNB) would have to get a separate ticket anyway ex-JNB.
That isn’t how that works. It is entirely possible to connect across carriers on a single ticket, even across alliances. For example, if you want to fly ATL-CPT, DL will happily sell you a ticket via JNB, connecting to a SA JNB-CPT flight (on a SA flight number — no codeshare), using an ATL-CPT through fare. No need for multiple tickets; no need for expensive fare construction; it’s the same price as a DL-marketed route like ATL-CDG-CPT.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:46 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by jsloan

That isn’t how that works. It is entirely possible to connect across carriers on a single ticket, even across alliances. For example, if you want to fly ATL-CPT, DL will happily sell you a ticket via JNB, connecting to a SA JNB-CPT flight (on a SA flight number — no codeshare), using an ATL-CPT through fare. No need for multiple tickets; no need for expensive fare construction; it’s the same price as a DL-marketed route like ATL-CDG-CPT.
Yes, sure, airlines have these agreements. Are you sure DL has one with SAA, though? If I search for a flight to CPT (on DL), my only options are via Europe.

Last edited by TBD; Jul 3, 2019 at 2:52 pm
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
I recently flew SIN-CPT on SQ (side note, big fan of the A350, but that's a whole other discussion), and noticed their route is SIN-JNB-CPT. They only stayed an hour or so to drop off people, but would have thought UA would do something like that. Would serve both cities in one flight.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
I recently flew SIN-CPT on SQ (side note, big fan of the A350, but that's a whole other discussion), and noticed their route is SIN-JNB-CPT. They only stayed an hour or so to drop off people, but would have thought UA would do something like that. Would serve both cities in one flight.
Perhaps UA did not want to run a triangle route (i.e. they would only fly EWR-JNB-CPT-EWR) - I think they would have problems with a JNB-EWR return, even on a 789.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Perhaps UA did not want to run a triangle route (i.e. they would only fly EWR-JNB-CPT-EWR) - I think they would have problems with a JNB-EWR return, even on a 789.
this is addressed above ( the EWR-JNB issue)

it would have to be open open legs CPT-JNB-CPT, but why bother again as noted above plenty of existing airlines serving that.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
This seems to be selling extremely well in business in December. 12/22 is more than half sold in biz, and 12/20 is completely sold out! Not even a single seat?!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Not surprising as anything to the southern hemisphere around Xmas will do well. What's more interesting, and a driver of whether this route will be renewed, is how it does in Jan/Fed/Mar. For those months, Y fares have been steadily declining, to the point where SFO-EWR-CPT RT just went down to ~$950. I can't tell how well J is doing as I don't know typical loads 6 months out on leisure routes. Maybe someone else can comment.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: UA GS
I just booked this flight for next February. Helpful tip for anyone considering it, the fare for EWR-CPT roundtrip was the same when adding a stopover in Europe on the return, in case that's something you desire to do, and LH offers nonstops from CPT-MUC. I'm combining the CPT trip with a stopver in Munich to do some skiing in the Austrian Alps.

I know the point of the nonstop is to AVOID Europe, but I couldn't help myself.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by jsloan
While I don't believe UA will ever take an A350 delivery, if they did, it would likely depend upon the configuration.
I'm pretty sure UA will eventually take delivery of the A350s down the road, as 1) there is a genuine need for a 777-200 replacement platform c. 2025-2030; and 2) the 350 grows capacity on 777 and 787-9/10 routes as they mature.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist
I was considering flying on the initial flight on Dec 15th. Does anyone have pros/cons regarding doing an initial flight like this? I'd imagine that with so much anticipation, United would be pretty organized without any issues but having never done an initial flight, wanted to ask opinions. Thanks
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by hawkswin
I was considering flying on the initial flight on Dec 15th. Does anyone have pros/cons regarding doing an initial flight like this? I'd imagine that with so much anticipation, United would be pretty organized without any issues but having never done an initial flight, wanted to ask opinions. Thanks
yeah, nothing to worry about. its operated just as a normal flight and even has higher priority than other scheduled flights (ramp control, any mx issues, etc.) due to the publicity a new route gets, and this one will have plenty of it!!!
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:10 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I was looking at the inaugural flight, too. Odd that I see J7 C7 D0 Z0 ... and yet 37 open (or just unassigned) seats.

I think it would be neat to be on an inaugural flight. But I'm not sure what the actual appeal is. I guess you may meet some UA execs and travel bloggers (yay?).
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: UAL LT Gold (used to be a 1K) 1.7MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I was looking to book an open jaw DEN/CPT then SIN/DEN for a cruise next March/April and it was pricing out at $3700+ for coach. The DEN/EWR/CPT legs were booking into Y while the SIN/SFO/DEN legs were booking into S. Found a T fare from Montreal so booked a separate DEN/ORD/YUL the day before ($319) and the T/S ticket YUL/EWR/CPT then SIN/SFO/IAH/DEN for $1483.46 for a total of $1803.16. Granted, I have to spend the night in Montreal but I've got a friend there so it's not a big deal. When I was ready to book I called United and asked about only getting a Y fare from DEN to CPT and she couldn't explain it. Then I told her about the cheaper option from Montreal and she said it shouldn't ticket because the open jaw was in two different regions or something like that? Anyway, she had me book the flight on the web so she could see if it actually ticketed and she was surprised when it went through. She said not to change anything on the reservation, including seats, as any change would cause it to reprice into a higher fare basis or something like that. I've got good seats so I won't be messing with it, and I've got an 8 hour layover in Newark before the Cape Town flight so I should (knock on wood) be good there too.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by JetJunkie
I was looking to book an open jaw DEN/CPT then SIN/DEN for a cruise next March/April and it was pricing out at $3700+ for coach. The DEN/EWR/CPT legs were booking into Y while the SIN/SFO/DEN legs were booking into S. Found a T fare from Montreal so booked a separate DEN/ORD/YUL the day before ($319) and the T/S ticket YUL/EWR/CPT then SIN/SFO/IAH/DEN for $1483.46 for a total of $1803.16. Granted, I have to spend the night in Montreal but I've got a friend there so it's not a big deal. When I was ready to book I called United and asked about only getting a Y fare from DEN to CPT and she couldn't explain it. Then I told her about the cheaper option from Montreal and she said it shouldn't ticket because the open jaw was in two different regions or something like that? Anyway, she had me book the flight on the web so she could see if it actually ticketed and she was surprised when it went through. She said not to change anything on the reservation, including seats, as any change would cause it to reprice into a higher fare basis or something like that. I've got good seats so I won't be messing with it, and I've got an 8 hour layover in Newark before the Cape Town flight so I should (knock on wood) be good there too.
I hate to say it but it’s so consistent. Many times, you can get a YYZ-ORD-HNL-ORD-YYZ for $1,000 all in F all on UA but it’s $2,000 for ORD-HNL-ORD. UA knows its pricing power!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.