Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
]United Airlines Preparing New Nonstop Seasonal Service Between New York/Newark and Cape Town, South Africa
United's new nonstop service will save customers nearly eight hours of travel time roundtrip between New York and Cape Town
CHICAGO, April 15, 2019
United Airlines today applied with the U.S. Department of Transportation for authority to begin new service between New York/Newark Liberty International Airport and Cape Town International Airport. United plans to operate nonstop three-times weekly flights to Cape Town starting in December 2019.

"We are always looking at ways to expand our industry-leading international route network to offer our customers more convenient options. We're thrilled to announce the addition of Africa to our global route offering," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "

This new flight will provide customers with the only nonstop service between the United States and Cape Town." United's nonstop service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will decrease the current travel time from New York to Cape Town by more than four hours and provide customers from more than 80 U.S. cities with easy one-stop access to Cape Town. If approved, United's service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will be operated with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft featuring 48 seats in United Polaris business class, 88 seats in United Economy Plus and 116 seats in United Economy.

Cape Town is the oldest city in South Africa and the country's center of trade and commerce. Located at the shore of Table Bay, the city is home to some of the most popular attractions in South Africa including Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. Travelers to South Africa often begin their African journey in Cape Town before touring the Cape Winelands, viewing the African penguins at Boulder Beach or traveling beyond Cape Town to explore South Africa's natural beauty including its many national parks, game reserves and beautiful coastlines and beaches of the KwaZulu-Natal and Western Cape provinces.
Seasonal until end of March 2020
26 April 2019
Originally Posted by gokeeper
related thread
Best Routing for UA flyer (Paid/Miles) to South Africa (JNB, CPT, ...)[Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...-to-cape-town/

Begins December 15, 2019 using 787-9 aircraft
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
YES!!!! Words can't event begin to describe how excited I am about being able to get to CPT without having to go through Europe or JNB! Whooo!!!!!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
CPT not as high/hot as JNB, but definitely did not see this coming! exciting add, and UA is now back into the 6 continents club.
Boofer, tuolumne, narvik and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Neat. Africa. I didn't see that coming.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Wow!
Has there ever been nonstop service between the US and CPT?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
That is great! Can’t wait to take this route.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Awesome! Way to go, UA ^^
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by SteveHK
YES!!!! Words can't event begin to describe how excited I am about being able to get to CPT without having to go through Europe or JNB! Whooo!!!!!
Are you kidding me?! Routing through Europe is the best part of the experience. Great way to tack on the additional miles and lounge visits! That being said, I believe SA has non-stop service out JFK to JoBurg! Nevertheless, will make what route I'll take this December to retain my Gold status for 2020 that more interesting!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
The TPG article states UA is expecting the route to be mostly leisure, it will be interesting to see how that affects award availability and releasing upgrades in advance. FWIW UA has not yet loaded the flights.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by N104UA
The TPG article states UA is expecting the route to be mostly leisure, it will be interesting to see how that affects award availability and releasing upgrades in advance. FWIW UA has not yet loaded the flights.
Is it possible to set up ExpertFlyer to alert as to when flights get loaded?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
A terrific announcement!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Are you kidding me?! Routing through Europe is the best part of the experience. Great way to tack on the additional miles and lounge visits! That being said, I believe SA has non-stop service out JFK to JoBurg! Nevertheless, will make what route I'll take this December to retain my Gold status for 2020 that more interesting!

Safe Travels,

James
I'll take an extra half-day in CPT over a lounge at a European airport any day!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
https://hub.united.com/2019-04-15-un...634710091.html
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Wow! I don’t think I’ve ever been as excited about a network addition before.

Definitely will be booking this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Wow! I don’t think I’ve ever been as excited about a network addition before.

Definitely will be booking this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.