Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
]United Airlines Preparing New Nonstop Seasonal Service Between New York/Newark and Cape Town, South Africa
United's new nonstop service will save customers nearly eight hours of travel time roundtrip between New York and Cape Town
CHICAGO, April 15, 2019
United Airlines today applied with the U.S. Department of Transportation for authority to begin new service between New York/Newark Liberty International Airport and Cape Town International Airport. United plans to operate nonstop three-times weekly flights to Cape Town starting in December 2019.

"We are always looking at ways to expand our industry-leading international route network to offer our customers more convenient options. We're thrilled to announce the addition of Africa to our global route offering," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "

This new flight will provide customers with the only nonstop service between the United States and Cape Town." United's nonstop service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will decrease the current travel time from New York to Cape Town by more than four hours and provide customers from more than 80 U.S. cities with easy one-stop access to Cape Town. If approved, United's service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will be operated with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft featuring 48 seats in United Polaris business class, 88 seats in United Economy Plus and 116 seats in United Economy.

Cape Town is the oldest city in South Africa and the country's center of trade and commerce. Located at the shore of Table Bay, the city is home to some of the most popular attractions in South Africa including Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. Travelers to South Africa often begin their African journey in Cape Town before touring the Cape Winelands, viewing the African penguins at Boulder Beach or traveling beyond Cape Town to explore South Africa's natural beauty including its many national parks, game reserves and beautiful coastlines and beaches of the KwaZulu-Natal and Western Cape provinces.
Seasonal until end of March 2020
26 April 2019
Originally Posted by gokeeper
related thread
Best Routing for UA flyer (Paid/Miles) to South Africa (JNB, CPT, ...)[Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by gokeeper
Now year-round, from June 5th
Makes perfect sense.

1. UA desperately needs a place to send their ULH birds. Look for more ULH announcements as the Pratt 777s rejoin the fleet.

2. This move also guarantees no NYC-bound baby phoenix rise from the South African Airways dumpster fire.

​​​​
Old Feb 10, 2022, 1:25 pm

I caught that on the SA travel blogs and posted it earlier this a.m. in the Africa forum.

I love this option (it the only USA-CPT flight right now)

Far shorter than IAD-[West Africa]-JNB-CPT on SAA.
I'm (usually) much closer to DCA than IAD.
Flying DCA-EWR is easier - shorter lines at DCA, I can use Pre-Check at DCA (SAA didn't do pre-check at IAD).
With EWR as a UA hub, I suppose it's easier to "find" backup crew/equipment should there be a problem with the EWR-CPT metal (I've suffered too long with the SAA plane having some sort of issue/delay/etc.)
And, of course, right into CPT at a more reasonable hour in the afternoon/early evening than the JNB-CPT connection flight (which often put us in CPT in the later evening).
The only real issues are
(a) EWR is a hole in my opinion. And, even though I have "ny" in my username, I find the ppl at EWR surly and generally unhappy in their lives/work (I observe this in both pax and airport staff).
(b) I get the impression that the crew on EWR-CPT are senior staff and are kind of just cruising along, going through the motions. I always found the SAA ground and in flight staff to be (generally) more friendly and more helpful/attentive.
(c) Seating in premium economy (or is it Economy Plus) on UA is not generally the layout I prefer. But certainly doable even for the long flight.
All of this is "first world problem" I know.

And, you're right, unlikely to ever see SAA flying into New York anytime soon other than a govt plane flying apparatchiks to the UN. More likely to see SAA into IAD for those same apparatchiks coming from and going to DC from/to Africa and spending their various govt's money on flying them and their dependents business class or better.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
(b) I get the impression that the crew on EWR-CPT are senior staff and are kind of just cruising along, going through the motions. I always found the SAA ground and in flight staff to be (generally) more friendly and more helpful/attentive.
I can confirm that at least JNB has very senior staff, my flight from JNB was staffed with replacement crew and they confirmed this. Temp screw service was excellent while the flight to JNB (reg staff) was standard.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by beofotch
Award availability looks really strong post June 5, 2022. Example CPT - EWR Mondays and Thursday 4x+ business award seats per flight.
Sweetspot is ANA where you can book round-trip USA to Africa using this flight for 104,000 ANA points per person.
Sadly looks like all the PN/PZ/I/IN went *poof*.

Too bad as I would have booked flights tonight had the inventory stuck around.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I jumped on booking W class flights earlier today when there was PN space. It all dried up.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
I jumped on booking W class flights earlier today when there was PN space. It all dried up.
For sure. Golden rule book first, ask questions later. Sadly I could not today.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:12 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Still some i on the return
Old Feb 11, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Looks like people were snatching up the available PN/PZ/IN/I as the day went on yesterday. Five seats were released on most/all Wednesday southbound and Monday/Thursday northbound flights until late October, and I saw that number progressively go down on certain dates I was monitoring.

Overnight, RM realized its "mistake" and pulled the plug on even P and Z inventory. Now most dates only have J and C, you'd even have to search around for D.

This is mostly standard UA practice when a route/flight gets added for booking. Just chronicling my observations in case it's helpful for future instances.
SPN Lifer and EWR764 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by dkc192
Looks like people were snatching up the available PN/PZ/IN/I as the day went on yesterday. Five seats were released on most/all Wednesday southbound and Monday/Thursday northbound flights until late October, and I saw that number progressively go down on certain dates I was monitoring.

Overnight, RM realized its "mistake" and pulled the plug on even P and Z inventory. Now most dates only have J and C, you'd even have to search around for D.

This is mostly standard UA practice when a route/flight gets added for booking. Just chronicling my observations in case it's helpful for future instances.

I wouldn't worry too much. This route will join SFO-SIN, in the guaranteed upgrade category, if your dates are flexible.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA EC silver
United Polaris EWR-CPT

Just thought I'd post my experience flying on United's direct EWR-CPT route and back over the last two months. I looked for info before my flights and did not see much beyond many photos of inflight food on domestic Polaris routes (much of it sponsored it would seem).

I'm a relatively new United customer - or perhaps "renewed" as I flew them often for work +10 years ago but not again until they added this Cape Town route. The aircraft configurations on this route are a bit unusual - sort of three versions of Economy and then what is probably best described as Business Basic. That said, it's not bad value and the route is a good alternative to flying to Europe and then south.

Outbound we had the pleasure of the Polaris lounge at EWR - very nice and certainly better than any of the BA Business lounges I've visited. We had two different 787 configurations. On the outbound flight the layout differed from the seatmap when purchased - it would appear a different plane was substituted. This meant our chosen seats were in a different space within the cabin but no big deal. On the return, the seats were as displayed online. Outbound was not as comfortable - slightly tighter (both times we had two center seats) but we were given a sleeping pad (there is so much stuff but nowhere to stash it). On the return a slightly nicer, more spacious seat (both lie-flat Polaris) but no pads.

While the equipment was fine, the level of service was nothing much to write home about. I've had more attentive service in BA's lowest Economy sections. The attendants had the air of day-care employees providing snacks to five-year olds. On the long overnight flights, there was no extra water or other drinks offered. The attendants were either on their phones (in-flight wifi) or chattering to each other in the galley. Very low-rent, IMO. The food was just OK (eat in the lounge!) no better than standard Econ fare on any major int'l flight. Entertainment differed as well - many more choices on the return (+1 mo later) but I assume the outbound plane had been diverted from another (possibly domestic) route.

The return had that horrible problem that many (if not all) US international connecting flights suffer - obviously you must clear Customs with your bags so they can be sent on to your final destination, and you must clear Immigration, BUT, you are then forced outside the "secure airside" into the hell of Newark airport to do a U-turn and get back on another flight. Madness - and off-putting enough to make me reconsider this route and go back to flying through Europe (I'm a one-hour flight from EWR, but can take a direct bus to BOS, so when I arrive back at BOS, I'm done flying)

Lounge access in Cape Town was a pass to the (pitiful) BA lounge. I had a glass of wine that was so awful I had to pour it down the sink. Still a very cobbled-together experience at CPT - the BA lounge was using the Emirates wifi :-) Food was OK (better than in-flight) but several notches below the Polaris lounge at EWR. We also visited an EWR Club lounge as much closer to the gate for our connecting flight home. That was definitely "high-school cafeteria" class - better options out in the retail offerings.

I'm not the most experienced Business flyer, but I've flown BA and Virgin dozens of times and United has a long, long way to go to measure up against the in-flight service from them. I'm sure Emirates, Singapore, etc. are at an even higher level. I guess time will tell
SF_DUKE likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:10 pm

Fair appraisal of the product. United's Polaris service had degraded quite a bit before the pandemic, but the current service, cut to the bone amidst feverish attempts to slash costs and driven by COVID hysteria/paranoia, is utterly pathetic for an international business class product. We hear that things are changing soon, which is good, but even that proposed product improvement is marked by the nonsensical "reducing touchpoints" mantra.
SPN Lifer, lhrsfo and gcashin like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bernoulli
...The aircraft configurations on this route are a bit unusual - sort of three versions of Economy and then what is probably best described as Business Basic. ..
Nearly all international long haul and some other UA aircraft have
Business
PremPlus, aka Premium Economy
Economy (with part Economy Plus and the rest standard Economy)
Economy Plus (E+) is not a separate cabin or ticket but has a seat fee for some, free for elites

... We had two different 787 configurations. On the outbound flight the layout differed from the seatmap when purchased - it would appear a different plane was substituted. ....
a handful of the 787-9s are still the older config but most are the newer config. The updates should be finished before this summer.

...The return had that horrible problem that many (if not all) US international connecting flights suffer - obviously you must clear Customs with your bags so they can be sent on to your final destination, and you must clear Immigration, ...
universal for an international arrive and terminal at that airport or connecting for all carriers (a few airports have a modified approach for International to International connections)

...BUT, you are then forced outside the "secure airside" into the hell of Newark airport to do a U-turn and get back on another flight. ...
EWR leaves a lot to desire on a connection

... but can take a direct bus to BOS, so when I arrive back at BOS, I'm done flying) ...
Not sure trading a multi-hour bus ride and connecting in Europe vs connecting at EWR is much of a positive traded off.

Thanks for the trip review
Bernoulli likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The return had that horrible problem that many (if not all) US international connecting flights suffer - obviously you must clear Customs with your bags so they can be sent on to your final destination, and you must clear Immigration, BUT, you are then forced outside the "secure airside" into the hell of Newark airport to do a U-turn and get back on another flight. Madness - and off-putting enough to make me reconsider this route and go back to flying through Europe (I'm a one-hour flight from EWR, but can take a direct bus to BOS, so when I arrive back at BOS, I'm done flying)
I think you are a little harsh on the true Polaris product, but I agree the food and drink offering of UA is below most European and Asian airlines. Nothing new here. But what I've quoted above is not something you can lay at the feet of UA.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Nothing new here. But what I've quoted above is not something you can lay at the feet of UA.
True but its very relevant when choosing different routes - and UA could choose to route through IAD for example which has a much better experience.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
CPT-EWR United Polaris

Had not found much info to help me understand what to expect on this flight so thought I'd write up a bit of a mini-trip report for others. Sorry for the lack of details, especially around food. That said, it was pretty much the same old substandard UA J menu.

As I checked in via the app, I have no direct report but arrived at the airport 2.5 hours in advance and noted only two people in the premier check-in line. UA has a lot of desks and staff in the lobby. N.B. there is NO premier security line and with a number of evening departures, it was probably 20 minutes from entering the line to clearing through security. It was not fun. Passport control followed and that took just a minute or two.

Exit passport control and head left all the way to the end of the terminal to the BA Lounge. In addition to BA's evening flight to London, it was also the lounge to Doha for Qatar. So, add in United, and it was pretty packed early on. Eventually the other two flights leave and it's just UA folks left. That said, there was a plenty of seating although not lots of choice for the late comers. BA has a solid bar and a limited food selection in the buffet although you can order much more substantial food (e.g. sandwiches, etc.) via a QR code at your seat and the food gets delivered to you pretty quickly. Friendly staff and fast wifi. A really great option.

The United gate, however, is at the other end of the terminal so plan for a 5-8 minute walk when you leave the lounge depending on your speed, luggage, and any family in tow.

Boarding was as boarding always is in the outposts of an airline, especially in the evening when people want to get on board and get to bed and put their kids into their place. Chaotic. But the ground staff was plentiful and did as best a job as they could.

Our 787 was showing its age. Lots of crumbs and such in crevices and different pieces of material peeling off. There were three (3!) inoperable Polaris seats, per my conversation with the purser. Those pax had two choices: the crew could manually put them into bed mode or landing/takeoff mode and nothing in between. One of the seats was behind me and it was criminal he was not reseated to an operational seat before the upgrades cleared. The crew did the best they could pulling pillows together to try and make the best of a bad, 15 hour situation.

Speaking of the crew, they were friendly and engaging but, boy, not very efficient. Drinks and unsalted nuts in a vending machine bag came out almost an hour after take off and dinner service was finished and the cabin lights dimmed 2.5 hours after take off. I don't know what they were doing but it wasn't heating the food. Mine came out cold to lukewarm. There was no menu so I have no details but it was a curry chicken, a fish in some sauce, and a vegetarian option. Proper salad--not the cauliflower thing--and the usual three dessert choices. Mid-flight snack was a 1/2 chicken wrap or 1/2 veggie wrap. The usual assortment of bagged vending machine foods were put out. Breakfast was an omelette or french toast. OH--and they ran out of gin before dinner even started!

We landed 20 mins early, putting us in right after 5am. Thought that'd give us a leg up on arrival but the passport control was already slammed by the time we got there.

Hope that helps other imagine the journey. Frankly, not much different than any other UA long haul once you got on the plane.

(And then I finished with the misery of going to EWR A first thing in the morning with no Clear and their faux PreCheck. I can't possibly hate EWR A any more than I already do!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.