Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
]United Airlines Preparing New Nonstop Seasonal Service Between New York/Newark and Cape Town, South Africa
United's new nonstop service will save customers nearly eight hours of travel time roundtrip between New York and Cape Town
CHICAGO, April 15, 2019
United Airlines today applied with the U.S. Department of Transportation for authority to begin new service between New York/Newark Liberty International Airport and Cape Town International Airport. United plans to operate nonstop three-times weekly flights to Cape Town starting in December 2019.

"We are always looking at ways to expand our industry-leading international route network to offer our customers more convenient options. We're thrilled to announce the addition of Africa to our global route offering," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "

This new flight will provide customers with the only nonstop service between the United States and Cape Town." United's nonstop service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will decrease the current travel time from New York to Cape Town by more than four hours and provide customers from more than 80 U.S. cities with easy one-stop access to Cape Town. If approved, United's service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will be operated with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft featuring 48 seats in United Polaris business class, 88 seats in United Economy Plus and 116 seats in United Economy.

Cape Town is the oldest city in South Africa and the country's center of trade and commerce. Located at the shore of Table Bay, the city is home to some of the most popular attractions in South Africa including Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. Travelers to South Africa often begin their African journey in Cape Town before touring the Cape Winelands, viewing the African penguins at Boulder Beach or traveling beyond Cape Town to explore South Africa's natural beauty including its many national parks, game reserves and beautiful coastlines and beaches of the KwaZulu-Natal and Western Cape provinces.
Seasonal until end of March 2020
26 April 2019
Originally Posted by gokeeper
related thread
Best Routing for UA flyer (Paid/Miles) to South Africa (JNB, CPT, ...)[Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28

If it exceeds expectations like SFO-PPT then it will go year round.
Thanks! And yes that's what I expected. They'll see how the loads play out...will be interesting to see if the flights are full or not.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
I hope this route is popular and they go year round with it. I'm planning a driving safari starting in Namibia in June/July 2020 and this route would be nice to use to get to WDH.

Chris
Chris, I am planning the exact same driving safari trip as you for later in the year 2020. I looked at routing and it was all through JNB to WDH on SA. I sure would like to spend some time in Capetown again. We did 5 days there in 2013 at the end of a Botswana & Kruger safari. Fab city with the best restaurant food I have ever had.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

If it exceeds expectations like SFO-PPT then it will go year round.
Is there an added hurdle given this is winter season, when there is generally less demand on United's fleet? To go year round won't UA have to reduce (or not increase as much) summer capacity to, e.g., Europe?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
UA has 13 787-9s that will be delivered from 2020 onwards. Even then, I think UA has optimized the current 787-9 fleet by reducing Australia frequencies and starting European seasonal flying during the northern hemisphere summer.

Originally Posted by drewguy
Is there an added hurdle given this is winter season, when there is generally less demand on United's fleet? To go year round won't UA have to reduce (or not increase as much) summer capacity to, e.g., Europe?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Any idea when this is getting loaded into the system? It doesn’t appear to be showing up yet.
After government approval.
UA regularly places flights on the schedule and starts ticket sales before "government approval", is the something different this time?
What does "subject to government approval" mean?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
Chris, I am planning the exact same driving safari trip as you for later in the year 2020. I looked at routing and it was all through JNB to WDH on SA. I sure would like to spend some time in Capetown again. We did 5 days there in 2013 at the end of a Botswana & Kruger safari. Fab city with the best restaurant food I have ever had.
That's what I found, so I'm thinking of booking Air Namibia from CPT-WDH.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Excellent!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by susiesan
I was in Cape Town around the same time and really enjoyed Arnold's and their game platter (oryx, warthog, crocodile, and ostrich that night). I've been pricing out things currently and given mile devaluations, I don't know how I'll go, but I've also been looking at getting to LIS and then taking TAP to either LAD or MPM and getting to WDH from there. (Sidenote, nice chatting with you as we met at a BBQ DO several years ago).

Chris
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Taking this back to the EWR-JNB route discussion, an idea is to do a triangle route EWR-JNB-CPT-EWR, or even EWR-CPT-JNB-CPT-EWR, the way the old SFO-SYD-MEL trip was done. This would probably end up turning into a daily route and thus both cities would gain daily service.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Taking this back to the EWR-JNB route discussion, an idea is to do a triangle route EWR-JNB-CPT-EWR, or even EWR-CPT-JNB-CPT-EWR, the way the old SFO-SYD-MEL trip was done. This would probably end up turning into a daily route and thus both cities would gain daily service.
These sorts of triangle routes are less popular these days. Premium business class travelers don't want to add 4 hours to their journey that they don't have to when there are other nonstop options. The time savings to get to Cape Town largely evaporate if a stop in JNB is added.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
These sorts of triangle routes are less popular these days. Premium business class travelers don't want to add 4 hours to their journey that they don't have to when there are other nonstop options. The time savings to get to Cape Town largely evaporate if a stop in JNB is added.
I agree that triangle routes are less popular, but UA has been bringing them back domestically (There are now quite a few United Express triangle routes) and it wouldn't be unheard of for them to do the same thing internationally.

It wouldn't add 4 hours to the journey; more like 1 1/2, in one direction only, as passengers wouldn't be allowed to disembark at the intermediate point.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by phkc070408
It's an interesting thought, but I think JNB service would need to be year-round, daily to attract business traffic, which requires a greater commitment of resources than a 3x/weekly, seasonal EWR-CPT. It also adds flying time over the nonstop JNB-JFK on SA.

I'm not convinced that JNB-EWR is out of the question with the 789, but it's a riskier proposition for United.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Compared to a stop in FRA, which seems to be the fairly normal *A routing from the US, a triangle seem fantastic just to stay on a known quantity that should keep moving.

When this gets going, for DEN based flyers it will be interesting to weigh DEN-FRA-JNB vs. DEN-EWR-CPT-JNB, even if the last bit is on SAA. With UA soon to be flying DEN-FRA, I'm leaning towards the first part, even with some poor FRA timing.

I head back to the USA from JNB next Wednesday, and I like the routing as it is. JNB-FRA-ORD-DEN. The early UA FRA-ORD flight really cuts down on the waiting.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Update: APPROVED ^
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...flight-457638/
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Gold
Would there be a way to add a flight CPT-WDH as an excursionist perk on award tickets and get a stopover in Capetown? I am planning to visit Namibia next year and would like to also spend a few days in Capetown either before or after the Namibia safari. I have never been able to figure out how to book an excursionist perk as part of an award itinerary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.