Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
]United Airlines Preparing New Nonstop Seasonal Service Between New York/Newark and Cape Town, South Africa
United's new nonstop service will save customers nearly eight hours of travel time roundtrip between New York and Cape Town
CHICAGO, April 15, 2019
United Airlines today applied with the U.S. Department of Transportation for authority to begin new service between New York/Newark Liberty International Airport and Cape Town International Airport. United plans to operate nonstop three-times weekly flights to Cape Town starting in December 2019.

"We are always looking at ways to expand our industry-leading international route network to offer our customers more convenient options. We're thrilled to announce the addition of Africa to our global route offering," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "

This new flight will provide customers with the only nonstop service between the United States and Cape Town." United's nonstop service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will decrease the current travel time from New York to Cape Town by more than four hours and provide customers from more than 80 U.S. cities with easy one-stop access to Cape Town. If approved, United's service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will be operated with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft featuring 48 seats in United Polaris business class, 88 seats in United Economy Plus and 116 seats in United Economy.

Cape Town is the oldest city in South Africa and the country's center of trade and commerce. Located at the shore of Table Bay, the city is home to some of the most popular attractions in South Africa including Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. Travelers to South Africa often begin their African journey in Cape Town before touring the Cape Winelands, viewing the African penguins at Boulder Beach or traveling beyond Cape Town to explore South Africa's natural beauty including its many national parks, game reserves and beautiful coastlines and beaches of the KwaZulu-Natal and Western Cape provinces.
Seasonal until end of March 2020
26 April 2019
Originally Posted by gokeeper
related thread
Best Routing for UA flyer (Paid/Miles) to South Africa (JNB, CPT, ...)[Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I’d rather it be out of EWR, where there is a proper Polaris lounge, than out of IAD.
Ah, but you're in NYC. Polaris lounge or not, I'd rather go international out of IAD or IAH or just about anywhere except EWR ... even ORD.
IAD1k likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Awesome announcement UA! Welcome to the 6 continent club ^
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Very excited for this route, will hopefully be taking it soon.

Originally Posted by amtrakusa
very exciting! Im sure UA will launch more counter-seasonal routes to balance out its international network. Part of reason UA lags DL in margin is because UA does not make any money in Q1 (2018 Q1 has a margin of 0%, and that is a good year). certainly the current UA international network is not helping with this situation. There are many small changes UA can make to its international network to improve its bottom lines. Expect more routes and more changes to existing routes.
I have always wondering why UA hasn't boosted their Caribbean network with a handful of winter seasonal routes. EWR-BGI/CUR/KIN/STX/LRM come to mind. South America is another strong contender, but I am not sure how many secondary routes would succeed from IAH because the local demand is pretty low and they would be better served on AA from MIA. EWR-SCL could be a success due to tourism. Oceania has a few strong seasonal candidates. New Zealand is booming and a 3x weekly CHC flight from either LAX or SFO may work, especially with the NZ JV. NAN could definitely work if PPT is working. BNE also has proven demand (given the QF and AC flights to North America).

I’d rather it be out of EWR, where there is a proper Polaris lounge, than out of IAD.

I wonder if this is a sign that UA plans to add more 789s out of EWR - I think this is the only announced 789 route that flies through EWR right now. Does this mean we might see some 789s pop up on TCON routes or other domestic hub-hub route (e.g. EWR-IAH) as part of optimizing plane usage? Or maybe they will start adding some more 789 routes ex-EWR (e.g. EWR-TPE)?
UA has announced they are establishing a Dreamliner hub out of EWR, so I would not be surprised for one or two of EWR's Asia or Europe routes to go to a 789 as well.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by DA201
UA has announced they are establishing a Dreamliner hub out of EWR, so I would not be surprised for one or two of EWR's Asia or Europe routes to go to a 789 as well.
I feel like EWR-Europe would be a waste of the 789’s range - seems like the 78J would be the most efficient Dreamliner to fly there (which they already are). Perhaps EWR-Deep South America (EWR-SCL) as well? Have to think that TPACs to Asia cities not already served from the East Coast (TPE, ICN) would be more likely candidates, although the potential revenue is definitely lower, IIRC.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
A quick map showcasing the breadth of UA’s EWR nonstop network with select destinations (no point to flood the map on the European side so I just picked 2 of more recent unique announcements, plus LHR)

Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
You may be surprised. The number of crew who "won't do Africa" is higher than you think....
Why on Earth would someone not want to go to Cape Town?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
On my list of places to visit. Glad to see United back in Africa and in the six continents airline club again.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I hope this route does well for UA, and kudos to them!!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by williambruno1975
A quick map showcasing the breadth of UA’s EWR nonstop network with select destinations (no point to flood the map on the European side so I just picked 2 of more recent unique announcements, plus LHR)

For all the hate EWR gets, it has the best routings ex-NYC of the US3 by far.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL

I wonder if this is a sign that UA plans to add more 789s out of EWR - I think this is the only announced 789 route that flies through EWR right now. Does this mean we might see some 789s pop up on TCON routes or other domestic hub-hub route (e.g. EWR-IAH) as part of optimizing plane usage? Or maybe they will start adding some more 789 routes ex-EWR (e.g. EWR-TPE)?
the timing (2030 EWR-CPT departure; CPT-EWR arrival 0545) probably wouldn't allow the same frame to fly a EWR-LAX/SFO return once back stateside.

if UA could turn the a/c in time for a 0700 EWR-LAX, it would arrive LAX around 0950. assuming an 80 minute turn in LAX, the eastbound flight would leave around 1110, arriving EWR just before 2000. it couldn't then be used for EWR-CPT at 2030.

EWR-LHR is too long of a flight as well. my guess would be EWR-IAH domestic turns. the CPT flight is only being flown winter seasonal, so w/b usage isn't at its peak. australia flying, which is exclusively 789, is no longer daily from LAX (and i believe IAH as well). the 789 fleet will begin polaris conversion around the time this route starts, so UA apparently felt comfortable with their amount of slack in the fleet.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
im surprised UA didn't pick JNB over CPT? Would the 787 have the range to fly from JNB back to EWR with altitude 1750m and heat? Is that why UA picked Capetown?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Are you kidding me?! Routing through Europe is the best part of the experience. Great way to tack on the additional miles and lounge visits! That being said, I believe SA has non-stop service out JFK to JoBurg! Nevertheless, will make what route I'll take this December to retain my Gold status for 2020 that more interesting!

Safe Travels,

James
I guess this announcement won’t impact you or excite you at all!
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by riphamilton
the timing (2030 EWR-CPT departure; CPT-EWR arrival 0545) probably wouldn't allow the same frame to fly a EWR-LAX/SFO return once back stateside.

if UA could turn the a/c in time for a 0700 EWR-LAX, it would arrive LAX around 0950. assuming an 80 minute turn in LAX, the eastbound flight would leave around 1110, arriving EWR just before 2000. it couldn't then be used for EWR-CPT at 2030.

EWR-LHR is too long of a flight as well. my guess would be EWR-IAH domestic turns. the CPT flight is only being flown winter seasonal, so w/b usage isn't at its peak. australia flying, which is exclusively 789, is no longer daily from LAX (and i believe IAH as well). the 789 fleet will begin polaris conversion around the time this route starts, so UA apparently felt comfortable with their amount of slack in the fleet.
Good points on turn time. It does seem a mid-con hub-hub route (maybe to DEN as well?) may work.

SYD service goes back to daily from both LAX and IAH at end of October.
riphamilton likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by mellon
im surprised UA didn't pick JNB over CPT? Would the 787 have the range to fly from JNB back to EWR with altitude 1750m and heat? Is that why UA picked Capetown?
Maybe because partner SA flies there?
drewguy likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by riphamilton

UA typically doesn't cycle their aircraft with the same frame. They would send it off to another destination and rotate using another aircraft. Inbound might go CPT-EWR-LAX-PVG and then outbound might be MEL-LAX-EWR-CPT
PsiFighter37 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.