Wiki Posts
Search

Where would you go this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by TomMM
I am headed to LHR this weekend returning through EWR Sunday. Maybe we should arrange a mini-DO!
Nice! If London is where I go, I will PM you for a meetup.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I had a colleague who was in a NYLON relationship, he in London, she in NY. The weekend was doable from London but it was hell from NY, losing a night's sleep right at the start .
I too was in a NYLON relationship, definitely not fun for my circadian rhythm.

Originally Posted by DCAFly
Are you open to Mexico City? I saw a business saver for 30K out Friday and a 17.5K economy back on Monday. it's a a great place for a weekend.
I did look into Mexico City but I just got back from PVR last month. But everything I've heard about it, makes me think it would be a wonderful weekend destination.

Originally Posted by seanp7
I just did Brazil last weekend for 4 days, 3 nights; 1k upgrading with GPU's. Little/no jet lag if you can sleep on the plane since you head largely south. Do you have a Brazilian visa? (your post doesn't mention your nationality). They do e-visas for Australians, US Citizens, etc these days but it may be too short notice...

Just checked April 17-21, there's PZ availability EWR-GRU ~$1600rtn for W fare which is on the high side but it's last minute. Săo Paulo is a vibrant mega-city with a solid bar/nightlife scene, great food, and I even had great weather this past weekend (sunny and 82F; spent several hours in the hotel pool). Fast becoming my favorite over Rio these days...you may need to factor in Easter as some things are likely closed (but I'm no expert here). This trip would net you nearly 10,000 PQM too, if that's a factor for re-qual.

PM for more tips if you decide to go.
American Nationality, but took a look at GRU, and looks to be a great use of the expiring GPU. Definitely a contender given the timings of the flight. Gets in at 5:50AM to EWR so I can head straight to work..

Originally Posted by truncated
I'm seeing I space on EWR-MAN and EWR-GVA on 4/19, as well as on LH EWR/JFK-FRA, and intriguingly enough on the LO JFK-BUD flight, which is probably the most interesting of the lot.

Also if you don't mind positioning to ORD or BOS there's O space on both LH ORD-FRA flights, ORD-MUC, as well as BOS-FRA and -MUC (both of which have empty F cabins now) — and you could add on an intra-Europe leg to get the FCT in FRA / FCL in MUC and to where you actually want to go.
I took a look at GVA, but to my untrained eye it looks like a boring destination. Hope I didn't offend anyone. MAN sounds interesting however. FRA is currently my second choice after LHR. Didn't know about Lufthansa out of JFK. Loving the business saver award availability on there, great find! How easy is it to use GPU's on that LH fare?

Originally Posted by mherdeg
If the upgrade clears, EWR-HKG. Depart 3pm Friday and arrive 7pm Saturday. If you're in J and can sleep on planes, this is a very efficient use of your day.

You get one full day in the city (all of Sunday) plus whatever time you can scavenge on Saturday night or Sunday night.

Depart 10am Monday, landing 2pm Monday, spend Monday evening recuperating.

W outbound/R return is $1384; R is 1.5x PQM and better GPU priority.

I love trips of any length to HKG and would be thrilled with this kind of opportunity; YMMV of course!
Another interesting idea, will definitely look at HKG!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 16, 2019 at 1:14 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist
How about something like EWR-LIM?
I'm seeing a
Fri 4/19 EWR-LIM UA 886 1435-2135. Which has no upgradable space but show J4C4D4Z4P4
returning either on
Mon 4/22 LIM-IAH-EWR 0035-1447 which has J3C3D3Z3P3 but no PZ space. (1421 roundtrip)
or
Mon 4/22 LIM-BOG-EWR 0135-1535 which is not upgradeable from LIM-BOG because it is an Avianca flight, but has PZ space for BOG-EWR, but it is a 737-700 so standard Domestic First seats. (1653 roundtrip)

That would get you all day Sat and all day Sunday in Lima and get you back by mid afternoon on Monday so you can recuperate.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
How about BRU? Generally an easy upgrade, and you can take a quick train ride to Bruges, which is a great place to spend a weekend.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
If you can still get space, do one of the paid brewery tours: https://www.budweisertours.com/locat...tractions.html
thx
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Any food suggestions, this is what I had planned:

Day 1: Dredd Scott Courthouse, Cathedral Basilica, Gateway Arch, Eads Bridge. EAT: BBQ Pork Steaks STL Style
Day 2: City Museum, Soldiers Memorial Military Museum, Union Station, Missouri History Museum, LUNCH TBD, Anheuser-Busch Tour (9-5). EAT: Ted Drewes Frozen Custard at some point
Day 3: Gateway Arch (again), Cardinals Game EAT: STL Style Pizza @ Imos
Believe it or not, there is a Ted Drewe's vending machine at the airport where UA has their flights. I almost took a picture of it. One small container is $6.

I don't think Union Station is anything special, but I haven't been there in 20 years. The St. Louis Anheuser-Busch tour is the gold standard of brewery tours. The architecture is absolutely gorgeous.

I think St. Louis-style pizza is disgusting--only because of the provel cheese. I do like the crispy crust. Don't forget toasted raviolis. I had Pappy's Smokehouse last weekend. The ribs are out of this world.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Believe it or not, there is a Ted Drewe's vending machine at the airport where UA has their flights. I almost took a picture of it. One small container is $6.

I don't think Union Station is anything special, but I haven't been there in 20 years. The St. Louis Anheuser-Busch tour is the gold standard of brewery tours. The architecture is absolutely gorgeous.

I think St. Louis-style pizza is disgusting--only because of the provel cheese. I do like the crispy crust. Don't forget toasted raviolis. I had Pappy's Smokehouse last weekend. The ribs are out of this world.
Airport Ted Drewes WOULD save me an uber across town... . I heard the architecture was nice re. Union Station, it's near my hotel, will just give it a quick pass on the way between museums. I have no idea how the provel tastes, but I have to at least give it a try. Pappy's? I'll research. Thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by azfanboy
I took a look at GVA, but to my untrained eye it looks like a boring destination. Hope I didn't offend anyone. MAN sounds interesting however. FRA is currently my second choice after LHR. Didn't know about Lufthansa out of JFK. Loving the business saver award availability on there, great find! How easy is it to use GPU's on that LH fare?
I get your hesitation about GVA, but I certainly wouldn't rank FRA over GVA (likewise, no offense intended to anyone). And keep in mind that you don't have to stay in the city in which you land; there are awesome small towns not far from GVA. I particularly like Lausanne, Switzerland.

I did the reverse of the JFK-FRA route last month. I misconnected and LH rerouted me to JFK in PE (I continued on the next day). It was my first LH long haul and more pleasant than I would have thought. ^
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by iapetus
I get your hesitation about GVA, but I certainly wouldn't rank FRA over GVA (likewise, no offense intended to anyone). And keep in mind that you don't have to stay in the city in which you land; there are awesome small towns not far from GVA. I particularly like Lausanne, Switzerland.

I did the reverse of the JFK-FRA route last month. I misconnected and LH rerouted me to JFK in PE (I continued on the next day). It was my first LH long haul and more pleasant than I would have thought. ^
I like Geneva. Worked there for a short period of time decades ago. The Lake Geneva ferries from Geneva are relaxing and relatively inexpensive. Montreux, Lausanne, Vevey are all nice day trips. There are trains that take you on a 55-minute journey from Montreux to Rochers de Naye - really pretty this time of the year. Montreux is also where the Freddie Mercury statue is.

Walk over from the Swiss side of the Geneva airport to the French side, and you've covered two countries...
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
OP can consider EWR-TLV for Passover. 19APR EWR-TLV PZ9 and 24APR TLV-EWR PZ9.
ajGoes and seanp7 like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
So. Where did you go?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:59 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gene2632
16 hours of flying for a long weekend? That is too much time in the air for me. For selfish reasons I would be headed to LAS to see a show, see some of the desert beauty, play some golf without a jacket and see my grandchildren.
FWIW, I went IAD-SFO-TPE and back for the weekend. Left Thursday and came back Monday, so one day more than you were looking to do, but it was a great time. 2 full days on the ground, plus an evening / night depending on how late of a night owl you are.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
FWIW, I went IAD-SFO-TPE and back for the weekend. Left Thursday and came back Monday, so one day more than you were looking to do, but it was a great time. 2 full days on the ground, plus an evening / night depending on how late of a night owl you are.
That's my standard schedule when traveling, leaving Thursday and returning Monday. I find it to be a perfect amount of time.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by seanp7
So. Where did you go?
Ended up going to PHX. After all my grandiose plans of going to Europe and Asia, found last minute saver awards to PHX, and had some buddies in Scottsdale that I could hang out with for the weekend. Atleast I got R/T tickets for 25000 and got upgraded on the EWR - PHX segment to boot!
goodeats21, seanp7, ajGoes and 1 others like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Going to Palm Beach this weekend and for some reason St. Louis next weekend...want to see that damn arch
@GetSetJetSet - how was your weekend in the STL?
Old May 15, 2019, 5:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
@GetSetJetSet - how was your weekend in the STL?
Fantastic, I felt like 3 nights wasn't enough. Would for sure plan to go back. Underrated city. Didn't hurt that there was a Blues playoff game and a weekend afternoon Cards game.
pseudoswede likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.