Wiki Posts
Search

Where would you go this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Where would you go this weekend?

I have a free weekend coming up, starting on April 19 to April 21 (maybe even April 22). I don't have any tickets right now but am looking to get away somewhere interesting on a saver award, be it economy or Polaris. I fly out of EWR, am 1K and trying to decide where I can go somewhere fun and interesting in the United network, maximizing my free weekend time. Lastly I have 2 GPU's expiring at the end of April (extended from last year) which i would love to use, if at all possible. Don't want to spend more than $2000 on economy tickets to upgrade. It will be only me travelling.

Right now the only thing I can come up with is EWR - LHR, leaving at 6PM on April 19 and coming back on the 7:55AM from LHR on Monday. Seems to have plenty of saver awards in economy and Polaris is looking quite empty. Keeping my fingers crossed that Polaris award space opens up closer to booking.

Anyone have any better ideas for me?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by azfanboy
I have a free weekend coming up, starting on April 19 to April 21 (maybe even April 22). I don't have any tickets right now but am looking to get away somewhere interesting on a saver award, be it economy or Polaris. I fly out of EWR, am 1K and trying to decide where I can go somewhere fun and interesting in the United network, maximizing my free weekend time. Lastly I have 2 GPU's expiring at the end of April (extended from last year) which i would love to use, if at all possible. Don't want to spend more than $2000 on economy tickets to upgrade. It will be only me travelling.

Right now the only thing I can come up with is EWR - LHR, leaving at 6PM on April 19 and coming back on the 7:55AM from LHR on Monday. Seems to have plenty of saver awards in economy and Polaris is looking quite empty. Keeping my fingers crossed that Polaris award space opens up closer to booking.

Anyone have any better ideas for me?
For paid tickets, you might get some ideas from the Mileage Run forum.

If you can travel Friday-Monday and are okay with economy there's a saver award EWR-TPE for 70,000 miles r/t in Y. Add an additional 45,000 miles if you have to come back Sunday.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
16 hours of flying for a long weekend? That is too much time in the air for me. For selfish reasons I would be headed to LAS to see a show, see some of the desert beauty, play some golf without a jacket and see my grandchildren.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Thoughts:

1. You need to decide quickly if you want to go for a W fare to upgrade to PP or Polaris, or go for award tickets.
2. If W fare, starting looking up EU or South American flights and look up both current Polaris space and maybe, just maybe some open upgrade space.
(eliminating Asia solely due to your time constraints).
3. If award miles, I'd say usually this close, you might get lucky, especially on a partner, with saver business.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you want to spend time on the ground, Europe seems like the furthest you would want to go.

I find several Canadian cities are nice for short trips, but a lot of this really depends upon what you like to do I would think.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Wasn't there a fun thread a few years back on helping a FT member select a novel trip and all of the forum pitching in with ideas?

David
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I'm pretty partial to FCO. There is saver economy available on the nonstop EWR-FCO, but you'd have to take a stop to get back at the saver economy redemption level.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by fumje
If you want to spend time on the ground, Europe seems like the furthest you would want to go.

I find several Canadian cities are nice for short trips, but a lot of this really depends upon what you like to do I would think.
Interesting, didn't really think about Canada but should definitely look into it.

Originally Posted by aacharya
Thoughts:

1. You need to decide quickly if you want to go for a W fare to upgrade to PP or Polaris, or go for award tickets.
2. If W fare, starting looking up EU or South American flights and look up both current Polaris space and maybe, just maybe some open upgrade space.
(eliminating Asia solely due to your time constraints).
3. If award miles, I'd say usually this close, you might get lucky, especially on a partner, with saver business.
Yes Europe and South America is where I am looking at right now. GVA and LHR is the only place I am seeing saver availability but no reasonable W fares anywhere, which I guess is no real surprise, given how close it is to booking. Probably just end up doing a staycation in NYC

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 15, 2019 at 3:26 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by DELee
Wasn't there a fun thread a few years back on helping a FT member select a novel trip and all of the forum pitching in with ideas?

David
Maybe this one? Where will a deck of United cards take me?

Originally Posted by azfanboy
Yes Europe and South America is where I am looking at right now. GVA and LHR is the only place I am seeing saver availability but no reasonable W fares anywhere, which I guess is no real surprise, given how close it is to booking. Probably just end up doing a staycation in NYC
If fares are reasonable (either saver award economy or just an economy fare), I don't mind EWR->LHR in economy. 6 hour flight is very doable for a fun weekend away.
Though be certain to check hotel prices. London hotels can be pricey.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 15, 2019 at 3:27 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Ummm. Close but not exactly. I seem to remember that the OP had a large value ETC and was going to literally walk up to the UA counter at their airport, have the agent pick a card (or some how generate a draw) also corresponded to one of the >300 destinations UA flies...

Can't exactly remember the key word(s) to search on....

David
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Going to Palm Beach this weekend and for some reason St. Louis next weekend...want to see that damn arch
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am headed to LHR this weekend returning through EWR Sunday. Maybe we should arrange a mini-DO!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
As it's Easter weekend, and consequently one of the busiest Spring Break periods, you'll probably find better availability in more business-oriented markets.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
and for some reason St. Louis next weekend...want to see that damn arch
After the Arch, go see...

* City Museum
* Forest Park
* Central West End
* Delmar Loop

I spent this past weekend in the STL, and I miss it already.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
After the Arch, go see...

* City Museum
* Forest Park
* Central West End
* Delmar Loop

I spent this past weekend in the STL, and I miss it already.
And get a fantastic cappuccino at Blueprint Coffee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.