Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Tight Connection - should I purchase 2 tickets (2nd one for if I miss the flight)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tight Connection - should I purchase 2 tickets (2nd one for if I miss the flight)?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Smile Tight Connection - should I purchase 2 tickets (2nd one for if I miss the flight)?

Hello Flyertalkers!

I would really appreciate any help as I have a flight tomorrow. I have a legal connection (1h6), but I am worried that I will miss the second flight due to the tight connection.
There is another flight an hour later (so total connection time is 2h) - there are very few flights as I am going to the Caribbean (SXM) that was battered by Hurricane Irma.

1 If I miss the connection will United rebook me on the later flight automatically?
2 I was thinking of purchasing with miles the hour later flight and then if I do make the earlier flight I could cancel according to the 24h rule OR does cancelling an hour ahead of the flight supercede the 24h rule and I would be considered a no show (and forfeit the miles)?
3 I have no status. Do you find calling better than standing in a customer service line at the airport?

(It's even more complicated because from SXM I am flying to SBH on a prop plane unconnected to my United reservation and the SBH airport closes at 6pm.)
Thank you for any help you can give me!

Ania

Last edited by greene; Apr 14, 2019 at 7:24 pm Reason: Grammer error
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greene
Hello Flyertalkers!

I would really appreciate any help as I have a flight tomorrow. I have a legal connection (1h6), but I am worried that I will miss the second flight due to the tight connection.
There is another flight an hour later (so total connection time is 2h) - there are very few flights as I am going to the Caribbean (SXM) that was battered by Hurricane Irma.

1 If I miss the connection will United rebook me on the later flight automatically?
2 I was thinking of purchasing with miles the hour later flight and then if I do make the earlier flight I could cancel according to the 24h rule OR does cancelling an hour ahead of the flight supercede the 24h rule and I would be considered a no show (and forfeit the miles)?
3 I have no status. Do you find calling better than standing in a customer service line at the airport?

(It's even more complicated because from SXM I am flying to SBH on a prop plane unconnected to my United reservation and the SBH airport closes at 6pm.)

Ania
1. Yes
2. If UA detects this, they reserve the right to cancel either reservation; this is specifically against the rules.
3. Do both simultaneously; whichever gets you through first is your winner.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Hello Flyertalkers!

Ania
I think that if you have two flights booked on the same airline you have very high chances that United will cancel both reservations.

If there's space on the next flight, United will try to accommodate you on that flight. If there's no space it might be the next day.

What I usually do (even when I had no status) is to call while standing in the customer service line. Sometimes the call was faster, sometimes the customer service line.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jsloan
If UA detects this, they reserve the right to cancel either reservation
Or both.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Thank you ALL so much!
So my plan is:
1 Run
2 If I miss the flight, try my hardest to get the 10:17
3 If I miss the 10:17 or it is booked, I am looking at an overnight with another non-direct flight leaving in the morning

It is a ridiculously expensive ticket (the 2nd one) so the fact it is against the rules leaves it out of my hands :-)

A little bit shocked that 1h6 is a legal connection given that boarding closes 15m prior.

For those of you who are thinking of coming to the Caribbean, but are hesitant because of Irma, the islands are back!
( I should mention that the newly remodeled SXM airport initially turned into a FEMA tent, but we go every year to St. Bart's and it was fine.)

Has rule 240 helped anyone? I used it for my father and United booked him on another airline, but I heard that it can work or not work.
Ania

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 14, 2019 at 8:53 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
In very rare situations where I have to be somewhere between limited service points, I set an EF alert for the backup flight on UA or other and as inventory drops below to 2 or less I'll pull the trigger and buy the backup.(at 2+ seats I feel there is enough inventory for airport rebooking)

Generally this is close in to departure and doesn't get flagged prior to departure.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Has rule 240 helped anyone? ...
Rule 240 went away with deregulation but many airlines (including UA) will still consider doing this at their discretion (generally only for airline caused issues)..

Originally Posted by nismo240ssx
In very rare situations where I have to be somewhere between limited service points, I set an EF alert for the backup flight on UA or other and as inventory drops below to 2 or less I'll pull the trigger and buy the backup.(at 2+ seats I feel there is enough inventory for airport rebooking)

Generally this is close in to departure and doesn't get flagged prior to departure.
Best to use different airlines otherwise cancellations do happen -- see [Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do? for multiple examples of people caught doing this. Not every time, but it does happen.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 14, 2019 at 8:52 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member :-)
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:19 pm

First off an hour is plenty of time to make many connections in the US, I wouldn't sweat it. Whether you make a connection or not is really the roll of a dice, I have yet to see any conclusive evidence that establishes a link between length connection time and successful connection. Anecdotally, my experiences are the exact opposite. Whenever I have a long connection (i.e. 3 hours) is precisely the time my outbound flight gets mucked up and I end up misconnecting. That being said, you should be prepared to connect at the airport, knowing beforehand where you need to go. I find the FAs can get you that information but failing that the gate agent at the connecting airport will help you.

One of the biggest determinants of whether you make your connection is your outbound flight that feeds you into the connecting airport. If that sucker gets delayed by more than a couple of minutes, there is a real risk that you'll miss you're connecting flight. At that point what I would do is speak to the agent at the outbound airport, explaining your situation and seeing if they can have you protected and booked onto the next available flight (possibly as standby) just in case the connection is blown!

If UA sold you the ticket with that connection time it means that they've tried that connection before and are certain it can be done. Airlines are not in the business of stranding passengers. It's an expensive proposition for them, particularly when they have to pay for hotels and other compensation that could easily negate any revenue they made from selling the ticket in the first place.

Should you unfortunately misconnect I would avoid the gate area altogether and head straight for the customer service centre. How polite and reasonable you are to agents has a direct impact on the level of service you receive from them. If you are respectful and state your case clearly they will be empowered to do the right thing. In addition, calling UA at the same time whilst queueing can also be effective. My general rule with airlines is, if you don't get the solution you want don't argue hang up and call again. If the customer service agent isn't giving you the flexibility you need to get to your final destination on time, head to another customer service agent, head to a United Club or worse case head to ticketing at the airport. AFAIK all UA customers have access to the agents in the UC for the purposes of rebooking/IRROPs. Someone will have the sympathy and be an angel, the key is finding that one gem in the rough!

Hope that provides some guidance and wish you all the success in making the connection!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A little bit shocked that 1h6 is a legal connection given that boarding closes 15m prior.
You'd be surprised how short some legal connections are. Different people have different risk tolerances; the minimum connection time is the smallest where the airline is willing to assume part of the risk (by agreeing to rebook you). In fact, the minimum connection time at EWR for a domestic to an international flight, both narrowbody UA flights in Terminal C, is 40 minutes.

That said:
  1. Your seat is subject to being given away if you're not at the gate 30 minutes prior to departure for an international flight, although they'll generally try to hold it for connecting passengers
  2. Something doesn't add up with your travel plans. There's only one UA flight to SXM tomorrow; an 8:30 AM departure from EWR. There's actually no scheduled flight departing tomorrow at 10:17 to SXM from anywhere (on an airline big enough to be in the Global Distribution Systems, anyway).
  3. I also couldn't tell what your backup flight was; I was going to look to see how much inventory they still had. Generally, if there are award seats available, that's a pretty good indication that there are at least a few seats free if you were to misconnect.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Hello Flyertalkers!

Ania
to 2) that won't work because the 24h free cancellation isn't applicable
United's 24-hour flexible booking policy allows the flexibility to make changes to select reservations within 24 hours of purchasing your ticket, without incurring change fees if you made your purchase one week or more prior to the original scheduled departure flight.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: *bucks Gold
Download the app, and make sure you are signed in. I've found the app gives real-time IRROPS rebooking options sans the need to wait in a phone / physical queue.
getagb and jsloan like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by blitzen
to 2) that won't work because the 24h free cancellation isn't applicable
United's 24-hour flexible booking policy allows the flexibility to make changes to select reservations within 24 hours of purchasing your ticket, without incurring change fees if you made your purchase one week or more prior to the original scheduled departure flight.
Even though that's what the written policy is, unless they changed something recently, they still allowed full cancellations and refunds within 24 hours even in the 1 week period.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: UA MM
Hello Flyertalkers!

Ania
Beyond the good advice you're received on policies, I think you'll get more good advice if you list your specific itinerary and flights.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
How about flying to the hub airport (EWR?) the night before?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Not sure about all of the hubs, but if you are arriving on a domestic flight (or pre-cleared flight from Canada, and maybe others), there are some airports that have a 35 minute MCT. ORD for sure, I think IAH and DEN too. I’ve done 35-40 minute connections at ORD too many times to count over the years, and when things are ‘normal’, I’ve made every one (or almost every one). Sometimes I’ve needed to run, depending on the exact arrival time and length b/t Gates, sometimes I have been able to walk at a slow place. On the other hand I’ve had 2-3 hour connections where I’ve misconnected because of weather, mx, etc. delays. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend a 35 minute connection if you can avoid it, but if your situation allows it (traveling without kids, are flexible and can deal with being there later, etc.) then it’s not necessarily a bad thing to do. It’s going to be dependent on your situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.