Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tight Connections

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by JackFranchino

This is all on one ticket with one confirmation number purchased with United Reservations. My entire itinerary is: TVC-IAD-EWR-FRA-INN-FRA-SFO-CVG-ORD-TVC. I will be flying outbound to INN on June 15 and returning on the 22nd/23rd (CVG-ORD and ORD-TVC are the following morning). If flight numbers help, I am flying UA6328 (PZ), UA1972 (B), UA960 (R), OS286 (Q), OS283 (H), UA927 (O, waitlisted for PZ Polaris), UA2311 (B), UA2182 (B), and UA3786 (B). Any and all input, opinions, and help are greatly appreciated!!
Austrian Airlines, a partner of UA, has daily flights IAD-VIE-INN. If your IAD-EWR flight is at all delayed, even by a few minutes, you might ask to be rebooked on the Austrian flights. You would eliminate a tight connection at EWR, and it's often easier to clear immigration and get to a connecting flight at VIE than at FRA.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by j2simpso
In addition, since you are travelling within the EU, additional compensation is required to be paid out for delays on any of the following segments:
  • FRA > INN (flight operating within EU)
  • That's not completely true. If the OP misses the FRA - INN leg due to a delay of the EWR-FRA flight, OS is not due any compensation.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by JPG3392
Austrian Airlines, a partner of UA, has daily flights IAD-VIE-INN. If your IAD-EWR flight is at all delayed, even by a few minutes, you might ask to be rebooked on the Austrian flights. You would eliminate a tight connection at EWR, and it's often easier to clear immigration and get to a connecting flight at VIE than at FRA.
Keep in mind, if you're rebooked on Austrian your checked baggage limit would go down to 2 articles (if rebooked in Premium Economy) or 1 bag (if rebooked into Economy). UA will let you check in 3 bags free with your United Silver & Premium Plus flight. The weight limit is also significantly higher at 70 lbs which may be helpful. That being said, the fewer connections the less things can go wrong from misconnections to lost luggage.

Speaking of luggage when you fly to VIE your luggage should check through to your final destination (i.e. no need to pick up luggage and re-check at FRA). You would be clearing immigration at FRA and will switch concourses to the inter-EU flights concourse meaning you'll also need to re-clear security.

-James

Originally Posted by athome
  • That's not completely true. If the OP misses the FRA - INN leg due to a delay of the EWR-FRA flight, OS is not due any compensation.
A misconnect to FRA>INN is by definition not a delay of the FRA-INN segment. However, if OP is forced to overnight it at FRA for some reason, then UA/OS will owe him a hotel and meals per *A policy supposing the cause of the incoming delay would normally be controllable (i.e. flight went mechanical).

Originally Posted by transportprof
Did OP ticket the trip with a credit card that has gold plated insurance, like Amex Plat? That's the only way to get a decent layover hotel at EWR if the connection is blown. Otherwise OP would be "lucky" to get the Wyndham Garden Inn for a UA provided accommodation. In that case, bring Lysol!
As someone who regularly stays at Comfort Inns and Good Nite Inns and finds a Wyndham Garden Inn to be an upgrade I take an exception to that statement! Not all of us can afford to stay at the Ritz Carlton let alone a Courtyard

-James

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 14, 2019 at 10:50 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite / Delta Platinum / United Silver
Originally Posted by j2simpso
As someone who regularly stays at Comfort Inns and Good Nite Inns and finds a Wyndham Garden Inn to be an upgrade I take an exception to that statement! Not all of us can afford to stay at the Ritz Carlton let alone a Courtyard

-James
If they gave me a room at the Wyndham I would sleep in the terminal or get an Uber and book on Delta out of Kennedy.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by narvik
It's about time United revised their allowance of a "legal connection" to more coincide with a "likely possible connection"!
If you are on one ticket, at a minimum, the carrier causing the delay will reroute you. That is the case whether EC 261/2004 applies or not. Given that UA sells this, it is within MCT. Whether it is within SCT (Sensible Connection Time) is really a subjective matter and largely depends on how tight OP's schedule is.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: UA
I would be concerned with only 40 minutes at EWR with the outbound. Flight 1972 does tend to land in C terminal where 960 departs.

EWR is delay prone due to ATC congestion and if there is a summer thunderstorm there can be significant delays.

There are later Star Alliance flights from EWR such as Swiss to ZRH but that flight does not have premium economy or as previously suggested be proactive in case of bad weather and look for flights out of IAD.

I am not one for short connections — I would not book 40 minute connection on a domestic itinerary but that is my preference.

As this itinerary is already booked one can just hope for the best and be prepared for the worst.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Often1
If you are on one ticket, at a minimum, the carrier causing the delay will reroute you. That is the case whether EC 261/2004 applies or not. Given that UA sells this, it is within MCT. Whether it is within SCT (Sensible Connection Time) is really a subjective matter and largely depends on how tight OP's schedule is.
Keep inind SCT varies alot depending on status and airport. For instance, I wouldn't mind a 3 or 4 hour layover at EWR since I can swing by the LH lounge and enjoy the great food there. OTOH the OP doesn't have that luxury and regardless of how you want to sugarcoat it, EWR isn't an airport most would enjoy spending several hours in just to protect the connection.

I've also had a 3 hour connection blown recently due to a controllable delay (congestion at YUL). Hence connection times don't necessarily tell you whether you'll make the connection or not. Airlines aren't in the business of misconnecting passengers. It is expensive for them and can often exceed the cost of the ticket!
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
If you are on one ticket, at a minimum, the carrier causing the delay will reroute you.
I'm just sick and tired of their so-called legal connections (especially when they're the only options for an up-gradable fare or PZ availability), when in reality the likelihood of making those are cause of unnecessary stress.
Yes, they will reroute should the connection prove unsuccessful, but that reroute isn't necessarily possible on the same day, and rerouting options might well mean sitting in Y after loss of upgrade (added: and/or losing seat assignment!).

Last edited by narvik; Apr 14, 2019 at 11:49 am Reason: added
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm just sick and tired of their so-called legal connections
They're not going away. Many search engines will prioritize the flights with the least total travel time; thus, carriers find it judicious to be as optimistic as possible.

The only thing that would change MCTs would be a US version of EC.261 compensation, especially if the DOT required that it be given to everyone whether they asked for it or not. (IMO, the only reason that the actual EC.261 regulation hasn't put airlines out of business -- or at least caused major fare increases -- is that apparently it's only collected by about 2% of eligible passengers).
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:47 pm
Suspended

UA, just like AA & DL, sells those because they are doable and because there are people who want them. Time is money for many people and when it is, having a short connection is well worth the risk of lolling around an airport, even a nice lounge, for 3-4 extra hours.

Many people would much prefer to make these decisions themselves and not have the air carrier play nanny. Put simply, if you don't like the looks of a connection, don't book it.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Put simply, if you don't like the looks of a connection, don't book it.
Very true. Unless, of course, it's the only option for GPU eligibility...
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by transportprof

Did OP ticket the trip with a credit card that has gold plated insurance, like Amex Plat?
Despite it's many other benefits, I don't believe the Amex Plat provides coverage for overnight stays due to flight delays.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:52 pm
Suspended

In which case, if the MCT were higher, there would be no GPU option.

MCT is simply a carrier's risk tolerance to handle a misconnect.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
And if the MCT was increased, then those would not be an option.

A lot of this is driven by "schedule / flight banking" as much or more than the MCT.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by econ
Despite it's many other benefits, I don't believe the Amex Plat provides coverage for overnight stays due to flight delays.
Mine does - it's the Canadian Amex variant, and Canada is reputedly the second most insured nation per capita in the world after Switzerland.

After 4 hours of delay, I can draw upon C$1,000 in insurance for meals, lodging, and related costs, for up to 48 hours to get to my final destination.
econ likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.