Chicago or Newark for connection

Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Id almost always opt for ORD over EWR, unless there is a huge advantage to EWR. I find he EWR experience awful, and that was before the airport was infected with the OTG ‘experience’. Much better food options at ORD. Connection time could be a factor though, particularly with kids (though you don’t mention ages). That said, the double-connection via EWR and SFO, as well as the 3 and a half hour connection would make me balk If traveling with the kids, especially if they are younger (though if it was just me, that part wouldn't bother me, assuming I have the time).
Yeah, I'm quite surprised by all the responses opting in favor of EWR. That airport is awful, and as a NYer, I try to avoid it unless there's a mitigating circumstance (e.g., only UA has a nonstop flight to somewhere I'm flying internationally, or there's a $100 price savings or something.

One thing to consider is that the possibility of delays is rather higher at EWR given how overcrowded NY's airspace is. While your early departure mitigates that somewhat, I find it's always better not to connect through NY.

So yeah, I'd opt for ORD.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

I'm new here and I was not expecting to have so many valuable comments!!! Thank you!!

We are traveling with 2 teen girls who prefer to sit together and feel like they're not traveling with us.. We are all short so leg room is not an issue. We do not like to spend money on airfare so it will be economy all the way. I'm getting right now a return flight to Maui for 550$ Canadian. Unheard of!! So we'd like to take advantage of this and return to Maui. And yes we do Customs pre-clearance in Halifax.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1k, 1MM
There's been some very good points already posted. One little bit I would add is August is high fog season here in SF. This can cause delays, and a 1 hour connection is a bit tight. Based on all the info, I would go with the ORD route too. and take a middle section of 4 seats for the long flight. The layover in HNL will still be in Hawaii, and if you were to splurge on Club passes, this is a more relaxing United Club then any of the others.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA GOLD (1MM)
Hi all -

I know this is an old thread but given all the recent changes at both airports, I was just wondering what recent experiences/preferences were between choosing Chicago or Newark for an international arrival and onward domestic connection on United? I'm flying back from Amsterdam, and both flights are available for the same price essentially. I'm flying Polaris, have Global Entry, carry-on only, and connection times on both options are at least 3.5 hours, so that shouldn't pose a problem in theory (and hopefully will allow for a stop at the Polaris Lounge). Any thoughts/opinions/advice would be very much appreciated!
Old Mar 17, 2023, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Isn’t the slogan nEWark, we put the EW in air travel?
DELee likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by salty749
Hi all -

I know this is an old thread but given all the recent changes at both airports, I was just wondering what recent experiences/preferences were between choosing Chicago or Newark for an international arrival and onward domestic connection on United? I'm flying back from Amsterdam, and both flights are available for the same price essentially. I'm flying Polaris, have Global Entry, carry-on only, and connection times on both options are at least 3.5 hours, so that shouldn't pose a problem in theory (and hopefully will allow for a stop at the Polaris Lounge). Any thoughts/opinions/advice would be very much appreciated!
All other things being equal (which they rarely are) I would choose the itinerary with the longer flight in international business class, and the shorter domestic flight.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Where the final destination? If it is Midwest, then probably ORD, if it is northeast, then probably EWR.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

ORD over EWR, hands down. Of all the UA hubs, EWR is the most dysfunctional. I avoid it at all costs.
SPN Lifer and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by salty749
Hi all -

Depends in part on when you are traveling and where your final destination is, but a couple of thoughts:
- If you are flying in the next few months, there are limited clubs available at EWR, with C74 closed for renovation and no club in Terminal A yet at all. That will change this year, but not imminently.
- If your final destination isn't in the Northeast or Mid-atlantic, then ORD is probably favored for longer time in the Polaris seat and reduced time in domestic F (versus an EWR connection).
- Either way, you are likely arriving at one terminal (T5 at ORD / Terminal B at EWR most likely) and then taking a train to the terminal for your domestic connection, so basically a wash there.

I guess the Polaris equipment used could matter a bit as well if it differs between ORD and EWR, but overall I'm giving the edge to ORD here.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Lots of great advice above, one I would add is a backup flight option. If your layover is 3.5 hours, you’re probably safe, but is your connection the last one out of the day? If it were me, I would want to look for the potential of a later flight to my home airport, just in case.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ty97
If your final destination isn't in the Northeast or Mid-atlantic, then ORD is probably favored for longer time in the Polaris seat and reduced time in domestic F (versus an EWR connection).
Due to earth's curvature, the flying time difference between AMS-ORD and AMS-EWR is minimal, around 30 minutes I think.

Originally Posted by jonisflying
Lots of great advice above, one I would add is a backup flight option. If your layover is 3.5 hours, you’re probably safe, but is your connection the last one out of the day? If it were me, I would want to look for the potential of a later flight to my home airport, just in case.
GE and carryons only provide more than enough time for transfers, usually 30 minutes or less. If 3.5 hours is not sufficient, then there are major delays at origin (AMS), and it should already been know there.
​​​​​​​
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
GE and carryons only provide more than enough time for transfers, usually 30 minutes or less. If 3.5 hours is not sufficient, then there are major delays at origin (AMS), and it should already been know there.
agree, more than enough, but it’s an additional variable if weighing options. I just got stuck waiting at ORD because my connection, the last of the day, was delayed a few hours. Would have sucked if cancelled!
Old Mar 17, 2023, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA
Contrary to the opinion of others here, I would pick EWR. The AMS-EWR flight arrives at C and is essentially the first international arriving flight of the day, so immigration will be completely empty. For reference, with GE, Clear/Precheck and traveling HBO, it only took 15 minutes for me to deplane, go through immigration/customs/security, and head back to the Polaris lounge.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by angetenar
Contrary to the opinion of others here, I would pick EWR. The AMS-EWR flight arrives at C and is essentially the first international arriving flight of the day, so immigration will be completely empty. For reference, with GE, Clear/Precheck and traveling HBO, it only took 15 minutes for me to deplane, go through immigration/customs/security, and head back to the Polaris lounge.
I don't think there is any guarantee that the flight is going to arrive at C instead of B.

My opinion is that it's a bit of a wash. I like the EWR Polaris lounge a bit better than the ORD one but I'm sure both will be fine. You will probably have nicer people at ORD vs. EWR, which is primarily staffed with grumps who don't understand what the definition of hospitality is. Transiting landside at EWR, should you end up at B instead of C, is still closer than going from Terminal 5 to Terminal 1 at ORD. These are all things at the margins that likely won't materially impact your travel. If there is weather at either airport, you'll be FUBAR but that is out of your control.

If you truly are agnostic, I would go with whichever one earns you more lifetime miles.
SPN Lifer and DELee like this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 6:43 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I don't think there is any guarantee that the flight is going to arrive at C instead of B.
You can look at the recent history: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...825Z/EHAM/KEWR
It's only ever going to C

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.